The Ummah's Handicap

The Ummah's Handicap:
How We Treat Disabled Muslims

by Amber Rehman

As Muslims we are taught from the instructions in the Quran and the life of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) not to judge one another based on surface things, for the only thing that distinguishes us is piety.

And since none can judge what is in the heart of another, the task of being al-Hakeem (the Judge) only belongs to Allah.

Unfortunately as a handicapped Muslim woman, I have learned otherwise.

DISCRIMINATION OF THE DISABLED:
A DISEASE THAT NEEDS TO BE CURED

I have seen that Muslims all say they discourage discrimination, but when push comes to shove, everyone shows a different side.

I realize that if this exists within our community, then it is a disease that we must seek to cure.

I ‘m 20 years old, and I have an apparent disability, for which I use crutches and have a leg brace.

I don't normally rely upon the help of others, but when someone does help me by opening a door or lifting something heavy, it is greatly appreciated.

When I was younger, I got the impression from the Pakistani community that someone in my situation couldn't get married, or at least not without someone feeling sorry for them.

When I started practicing Islam, Allah blessed me to meet people who didn't think that way.

It was a Mercy from Allah to find people who actually believed that everyone has a different challenge that has been to given them, and some have it more apparent than others.

Not everyone has such a fortunate experience.

THE REALITY CHECK: LITTLE ACCOMMODATION OF DISABLED MUSLIMS

Going to mosques, meetings, camps, and conferences I became saddened discovering that there was no special effort made in the community to accommodate to the needs of the disabled.

There were no chairs in the mosques or attempts to have places with elevators or wheelchairs at conferences. I suddenly felt the difference between the Muslim community and the non-Muslim one.

[url=

Isnt it true that many of us are ignorant or insensitive to the feelings and needs of disabled Muslims?

The West is big on catering for the needs of such people, but does anyone know of any Muslim organsation that is active in such work?

My mum was a Chairperson of an Disabled Asian women network in East London....basically they used to get together every now and again and organise trips etc.....but I don't know of any Muslim organisation that does this kind of work.

Islamic dawah is so lacking in this area...Are our Mosques accessible for disabled people? Is there a Qur'an avaible in brail?

I used to teach Islamic studies to a young girl who was deaf and was SO intrested in Islam...I did promise myself that I'd learn sign langauge...but I havent got round to it. :?

You know, many disabled people can be most spiritually close to Allah (swt) as their disability brings them closer to Him...

Also, if one ever works or associates with people who have either hearing/sight impairment or has down syndrome...they'd notice how much more innocent and sweet they are...simply and only because their disability has sheltered them from some of the corrupt things in this world.

In my opinion the Muslim community itself is disabled when it comes to catering for the needs of the disabled.

its true unfortunately

and considering theres actually quite a lot of disabled asians in particular, its kinda surprising :?

i guess they dont think its important for disabled people to learn, get out, become active or jus cater for them

they simply left at home and looked after and thats it.....the communities concerns are always elsewhere...and a lot of people still livin in dark ages

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Fresh Prince" wrote:
and a lot of people still livin in dark ages

i think thats the biggest problem - we cant progress until and unless we get rid of the stigma attached to disability in the Asian community.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Fresh Prince" wrote:
and a lot of people still livin in dark ages

i think thats the biggest problem - we cant progress until and unless we get rid of the stigma attached to disability in the Asian community.

but theres a large amount of disabled people in the asian community, and with the fact theres a high % of 1st cousin marriages....and that if you get married to first cousins your allegedly increasing chances of disability...its hard too see why there is a stigma :?

i think society generally hasnt been nice to disabled people, and is reflected thru tv, films, comedy etc............ altho theres an attemp to move away from that..........its not coming from the asian community - they jus lazy to do anything really....and helping disabled people isnt anywhere near the top of their 'things we should do but probably never will' list

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

disabled ppl have problems getting married-a girl on my road walked with a limp and couldnt use one of her hands

BUT she was the prettiest and most sweetest girl we knew

bear ppl cussed her and said that "no one will marry someone like u" now she's happily married with the perfect guy and two beautiful kids

i can't stand the stigma attached to disability esp in the asian community

ppl used to say to mum that she shudnt have kids cos she's registred blind-yet i can honestly say that mums weak eyesight has NEVER hindered us in any way

society is disabled with their prejudices and ignorance :evil:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

society is disabled with their prejudices and ignorance :evil:

so very true

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Salaam

When I work in schools it’s not unusual to have one or two people in the class with hearing difficulties…usually they work with Special Needs Assitants who go over what the teacher is saying in British Sign Language.

This year I’m teaching in an Islamic Summer School and we have a couple of children with hearing difficulties….A friend of mine knows basic British Sign Language so she works with them, however, it is so unbelievably frustrating how limited British Sign Language is….I couldn’t even say “Asalam alaykum” to a Muslim child with hearing difficulty….there is no “sign” for Mosques, the Ka’bah, Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) etc etc…the only way to convey such concepts to them, is by signing out the spelling of such words using the Sign Language Alphabet which takes forever.

For ages I’ve been looking for a decent Qur’an in Brail…

Alhumdullilah, today we have so much that caters for Muslims living in the West…however, when it comes to resources for the British Disabled Muslim’s the resources available are pathetic.

Wasalaam

[b]Disability and Handicapped in Islam[/b]

Quote:
Question:

What are the teachings of Islam on mentally or physically disabled people? Very little literature is available on your or other Islamic websites regarding the following core questions:

1- Why Allah has created these imperfect human beings?
2- Is that a kind of punishment of Allah on these humans or their loved ones?
3- Is there any Hadith or Qur'anic reference regarding reward or punishment for the disabled people or their families?

Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All thanks and praise are due to Allah and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we really appreciate your good question. In fact, it is a question that reflects great intelligence. In fact, Islam provides guidance to mankind, in all aspects of life. It urges Muslims to seek guidance and exert every effort. A Muslim is always encouraged to leave no stone unturned in pursuing the truth. May Allah Almighty help us make use of the truth, after getting it, and help us to steer clear of falsehood, Ameen!

As regards your question, we would like to say to you that Allah has created people in different races, colors and having various abilities. While some of them are given certain gifts, others are deprived of these gifts and thus are disabled. This is the nature of life, according to the Divine Wisdom through which Allah governs everything.

[b]Tackling this important issue, Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi states the following:[/b]

In fact, man’s life is a full record of hardships and tribulations. In this sense, Allah says: “ We create man from a drop of thickened fluid to test him” (Al-Insaan:2) When man looks upon these tribulations and afflictions as being a test from Almighty Allah to see his true colors, he will come to know that there is a great Divine wisdom behind all these tests. This is surely an absolute fact, whether we know it or not.

It is also a great thing that Almighty Allah, when depriving a person of a certain ability or gift, compensates him for it, by bestowing upon him/her other gift, whith which he excels others. That is why we see that those people who are deprived of sight, have very sensitive ears that they can hear very low beats or movements around them. They are given excellence in many other abilities to compensate their imperfection.

If a person adopts this view, he will surely find rest and get contented with the test posed on him by Almighty Allah. Every person should bear in mind that he can never change his inability or escape Allah’s fate and thus he should try his best to make his life better and turn this sore lemon into sweet honey. This inability should be a motive to creativity and excellence in any field of life. A disabled person should make his condition an impetus towards being distinguished and prominent in the society.

[b]How To Overcome Disability and Become an Active Member in the Society:[/b]
In order to be an active member in the society, a disabled person needs to be fully aware of his surroundings and the nature of his disability. In addition, it is incumbent on the society to offer a helping hand to all those people. Islamic history has a shining record of many examples of people who, while having some kind of disability, occupied very excellent positions and prominent status in the society. `Atta Ibn Abi Rabah, who was known of being black, lame and paralyzed person, was the greatest Mufti in Makkah. He was highly honored by `Abdul-Malik Ibn Marawan, the Muslim caliph of that time. His vast knowledge earned this prestige.

Also, we know the story of the great Companion `Amr Ibn Al-Jamooh, who was also lame. His four sons, when participating in Jihad, said to him: “You have an excuse to remain at home, for you are old and you have a kind of disability.” With full confidence and trust in Allah, he said to them: “Nay, for I hope to walk in Paradise with my lame foot.” Commenting on this, the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said to them: “Leave him! He is a man who seeks martyrdom.” Almighty Allah guides all Muslims not to leave those disabled in isolation lest they fall a prey to despair and psychological ailments. They should be welcomed to the open society and be dealt with in the kindest way.

[b]The Duty of the Society towards the Disabled:[/b]

It must be clearly borne in mind that there are things that happen out of man’s control and there are things that happen to man out of his own negligence, To make this matter clear, we may quote the following example. An infant gets paralyzed. This may occur due to his mother’s negligence of giving her child the due vaccination. So such disability is out of man’s negligence.

Now, it is the duty of the whole society to establish schools for those persons and secure them due care so that they become good members of the society and that they benefit themselves and their families. In the West, great care is shown to the disabled. It is duty of we Muslims to shoulder the responsibility of showing the utmost care to those people, for, according to the teachings of our religion, those persons are sources of Divine mercy and blessings being showered on us now and then. They are the weak for whose sake we are given sustenance and made victorious. In his Hadith, our Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “You are given sustenance and victory for the virtue of those who are weak amongst you.” We, should show mercy and care to the disabled out of both human and religious motives. In Islam, we are commanded to show mercy to everything in this world. In the Hadith: “Show mercy to those on earth so that He Who is in

the heavens (i.e. Allah) bestow mercy to you.”

Source:.

[color=magenta]the area i live in is filled wiv kid/adults wiv learning difficulties n wiv diabilites there is one family wiv akid wiv down syndrome, n he is the sweetest lil boy i knw evry morning he sees me his like hello afalast year a girl my older sis age passed away due to the malfunctioning of several organs n several other sorts before all these families lived in various different areas n now they have been brought together in one estate n mashaAllah the work thy do is fantastic, my lil bro has learning difficulties n the ppl here are one of the most understanding, every summer for like 4 weeks the council organises trips for ppl like my bro where they go on trips such a bowling, horseriding, seaside, n i fink its great, but inshaAllah the ummah will get more knowledg on these sort of areas, [/color]

[b][color=DeepPink]O you who believe, If you help (in the cause of) Allah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm[/color][color=DeepSkyBlue] {Surah Muhammad7}[/color][/b]

"Exquisite" wrote:
[color=magenta]the area i live in is filled wiv kid/adults wiv learning difficulties n wiv diabilites there is one family wiv akid wiv down syndrome, n he is the sweetest lil boy i knw evry morning he sees me his like hello afalast year a girl my older sis age passed away due to the malfunctioning of several organs n several other sorts before all these families lived in various different areas n now they have been brought together in one estate n mashaAllah the work thy do is fantastic, my lil bro has learning difficulties n the ppl here are one of the most understanding, every summer for like 4 weeks the council organises trips for ppl like my bro where they go on trips such a bowling, horseriding, seaside, n i fink its great, but inshaAllah the ummah will get more knowledg on these sort of areas, [/color]

People with disability, in my opinion, are signs of Allah's mercy. Because, the amount of generosity and kindness that comes out of people, who would not usually be so, shows the love that Allah bestowed in mankind. Not everyone see's the goodside of people, we we do. I'm talking about strangers.

Aswell as having our on test in life, we are a test for our families and society at large.

there's a theory on disability that states that disability only exists because society does not cater for the needs of disabled ppl

if society was more disabled people friendly-disability wudnt even be an issue

this is very true-esp in regards to the Muslim Community

i have never been to a mosque which has wheelchair access