To Laugh Or Not To Laugh

Salaam

Ok, so you’re sitting with your mates/members of your family….and they’re saying something mean or rude about someone/something. You know its wrong…but you can’t help but find the comments amusing.

What do you do?

1-Laugh along with them?
2-Hide your smile so that you don’t encourage them?
3-Give them a long lecture?

I’m often in such a situation…my brother and sister are extremely immature (and mean) when they get together. The other day they thought it was funny to make my baby sister cry and capture her crying on the camera phone and then show all her friends.

Kids make me laugh as well….sometimes they say such outrageous things in their innocence and I have to turn around so that they don’t see me smiling.

Or does you reaction depend on how offensive the comment is and the circumstances?

OR are you the type that can never tolerant any insults or jokes about your self or your loved ones but think its OK to laugh at others and/or their families?

You know, the lowest form of Iman (faith) is to keep silent when hearing/witnessing wrong doing and only feeling agitated in your heart…

Waffling or speaking just for the sake of it is not allowed in Islam…The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak a good word or remain silent”

He Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) also said “Indeed a servant will speak a word pleasing to Allah that he thinks to be insignificant, but because of it Allah raises him by many degrees. And indeed a servant will speak a word displeasing to Allah that he thinks to be insignificant, but because of it, He will consign him to the Hellfire”.

How often do we get together with people and just speak about…basically rubbish? Or are ALL your conversations usually thought provoking?

So yeah…how much do you scrutinise what you speak about and how you respond to the speech/actions of others?

Wasalaam

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

Ok, so you’re sitting with your mates/members of your family….and they’re saying something mean or rude about someone/something. You know its wrong…but you can’t help but find the comments amusing.

What do you do?

1-Laugh along with them?

Wasalaam

Salaam

As soon as you realiz its wrong,and its not good to laaugh about it. Stop. Leave the room if you have to and tell them to stop causing fitnah.

Don't encourage them, if you can.

Violance is rarely the answer.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

"MuslimSister" wrote:

1-Laugh along with them?

Laugh first ... tell them off later.

Back in BLACK

Laughter is the best medican Blum 3

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

What do you do?

1-Laugh along with them?

Wasalaam

I do tell people off when they are being mean only when I actually think about it but sometimes you kinda just get caught in the amusement :oops: but if such happens you should tell a person off or walk away or at least feel bad about it (the last one is the weakest of iman!)

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

How often do we get together with people and just speak about…basically rubbish? Or are ALL your conversations usually thought provoking?

Wasalaam

This depends on the company really, if I am with family most of the convo's are thought provoking as they involve Islam, with my mates it used to be pointless rubbish and i have stopped hangin bout with them just so i can get away frm this whole environment of talkin bout other girls - its borin and frankly none of my business.

to laugh or not to laugh-indeed that is the Q Dirol

yep I have a mean sense of humour-I'm the first to laugh in every situation which I often get into trouble for :oops:

medically tis good to laugh

but of course, laughing has its extents

theres only so much u should do, and neitehr should u wear a frown all ur life

but i do admit, if i find something funny - i cant help laugh no matter what

that may say sumat about what kinda stuff i find funny....but its british comedy for ya

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I hate it when somethin serious is goin on and you just have the giggles where you find anythin and everythin funny, when i am in this mood its best I avoid a certain cousin of mine, cuz she cracks me up!

Too much laughter hardens the spiritual heart.... :?

I too have to avoid certain people who just give me the giggles and make you laugh at stupid things...I usually have to pinch myself to stop laughing. :oops:

But yeah, there should be a balence

you hear a joke, thats a lil rude or stupid, but u find it funny....what do you do?

a - laugh, coz it was funny and u cant help it

b - laugh in your head but dont show any expressions

c - laugh a lil and tell em that was wrong

d - u dont find it funny coz it was rude or silly

i'll be honest.....i do C

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Fresh Prince" wrote:

b - laugh in your head but dont show any expressions

That one...but I find it very hard to contol expressions. So, I sometimes have to turn my face or even leave the room so that people don't see the massive grin on my face. :?

i dont leave the room or turn away, it would look wierd to me

i know i shouldnt find thiis stuff funny, and whilst i can condemn it, i cant help laughing a lil :?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Why would turning your face seem weird?

In schools kids often say the most outrageous things out loud out of innocence, it’d be rude to laugh in their face or smile and thus encourage them…so instead I usually turn around and start cleaning the white board or something.

Laughing out loud always encourages wrong behaviour…

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

What do you do?

1-Laugh along with them?

This question rests on how one takes responsibility for oneself in the company of others who are defaming a person or something noble and important.

My answer is to say the comments are unacceptable even if I am laughing as I speak. I would try to avoid rising to someone's defense but I would ask them to take my point and to consider apologising to those present or if appropriate (ie not someone famous) to the person they were talking about. I would recommend taking another view. Unless these are people intending assault or wrongdoing, in which case I would shop or frustrate them any which way.

Shabbat Shalom. Biggrin

[size=9]Whatever you do, know that I will always love you. Or else.[/size]

i really admire people who dont talk rubbish, i even revere them and seek them out - although i talk a lot of rubbish myself - its a basic flaw in my character something i desparately want to get rid off that and telling and listening to dirty jokes - i cant help it. when i'm in the mood i can recite all of chubby browns jokes and i dont even feel any guilt or shame!

its like my tongue's not connected to my heart or brain - its got a life of its own

but i dont like being mean or making fun of others and i'm quite forceful on this point. right from being a kid i never liked mean really i cant understand why someone would be mean its so lowly

"laila" wrote:

something i desparately want to get rid off that and telling and listening to dirty jokes - i cant help it. when i'm in the mood i can recite all of chubby browns jokes and i dont even feel any guilt or shame!

Loooooooooooooooool. I'm like you Laila. Rude jokes are my weakness too. :oops: My friends are such a bad influence on me because they are so foul mouthed. In fact we even refer to one another as "B***** and Wh****" its something we picked up from the black girls.
I'm not foul mouthed at home though.

I used to have a friend like that from Uni and one from high school...whenever they'd call me it was "Hello B**** where've you been?"

It wasnt even funny and sounded pathetic.

Its bad enough when guys refer to girls in such derogatory terms, but why do girls have to be so accepting of it, by calling each such names?