Somali women protest against child fostered by lesbian couple

Full story here 

I think it's wrong that they didn't take the child's background into consideration. But on a related on is a  Muslim child being fostered/adopted by a homosexual couple ok? Is it better than not having the right care? Or would it be wrong because Islamically the child will just be led astray which is perhaps the biggest wrong you can do to a child? I dunno. *confused*

Another point to remember is that the parents didn't give up their child - it was taken from them for whatever reason.

The question is what do you do when there are not enough suitable foster parents?

The cure here is for more Muslims to foster.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You need to be able to pass the assessments though. Like for this kid there were people who wanted to but they failed. If it's an income issue or something like house space then it's probably generally harder for Muslims to foster because a lot have bigger families than the average white person. Also generally Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are the poorest ethnic minorities apparently. But yes, there does need to be more Muslims opting to foster. 

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I get why people are angry about this. Muslim kid being fostered by a gay couple, what would people say.

But i think people forget that, fostering isnt about religion. Its about doing whats best for the child full stop. People who wish to foster go thru a rigerous vetting process. The question we should be asking is not if its ok for a gay couple to adopt this child. The question we shud be asking is how fudged up must the paternal muslim family have been or why there werent appropriate muslim foster candidates available. 

If these this couple can properly care for this child better than all the others. Then im sorry i dont see the bad in that. Its a hell of a lot better than the future the orphanage could provide. What are people afraid of here? That theyre going to turn the kid gay? You realize thats not how this works, right?

Back in BLACK

I would suggest that religious/moral upbringing is of as vital importance as physical upbringing.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
I would suggest that religious/moral upbringing is of as vital importance as physical upbringing.

I'm with you on that 

I feel like the Muslim society is learning how to live in this world without spirituality. 

how is it a muslim society without spirituality? thats one scary thought.

of all the couples looking to foster, it had to be the gay one? got to mke you wonder.

but there is a point in how come extended family couldnt take the kid. still, if onedoesnt have a spare bedroom and all those safety stuff then they cant foster, so might have been just that.

which reminds me of that show on channel 4 abotu britain's largest families. one family had like 10 kids and lived in a 4 bedroom house. how could they have gone on tv without child services coming to take the kids away?

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Looking To See wrote:
how is it a muslim society without spirituality? thats one scary thought.

of all the couples looking to foster, it had to be the gay one? got to mke you wonder.

but there is a point in how come extended family couldnt take the kid. still, if onedoesnt have a spare bedroom and all those safety stuff then they cant foster, so might have been just that.

Other people had failed the assessment

Quote:
which reminds me of that show on channel 4 abotu britain's largest families. one family had like 10 kids and lived in a 4 bedroom house. how could they have gone on tv without child services coming to take the kids away?

What do you mean? Were the kids taken off them? Why? I don't think living in an overcrowded home is an issue in itself :S not for your own family anyway. When you want to foster then the space is an issue.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

i thought it was an issue for child services, that they would take the kids out coz of the overcrowding? maybe it would just be an issue if a kid complained?

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

No, because if the parents can't afford a bigger home then that's not there fault. 13/10 children is a bit extreme but lots of people live or used to live in quite crowded homes. It's only an issue if the kids aren't being treated properly.

s.b.f wrote:
You wrote:

I'm with you on that 

I feel like the Muslim society is learning how to live in this world without spirituality. 

Please elaborate

Topic locked