Hiding other peoples sins

Someone shared an odd and quite funny news story but I’m not going to tell you what it is. Sorry. I’m not trying to create any suspense either.  See this story revealed a sin of a Muslim (I guessed from the name), however it wasn’t a story that needed to be shared, we are not in danger of being hurt by this person and it’s more entertaining than newsworthy. So this reminded me of a question I’ve thought of before – should we be sharing news, blogs, pictures, videos of people doing things they shouldn’t be? Does this fall under not hiding the sin of a fellow believer? I fear it may do, so that is why I choose not to share that story, to be on the safe side.

I may have been a little vague, but if you got my point, what do you think? 

Warning others is allowed.

But idly informing people of others misdeeds can be trouble some and hiding them is recommended.

It is mentioned somewhere that if you hide another's flaws, God will hide your flaws.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Its from Bukhari: He who covers the sins of a Muslim, Allah (swt) covers his sins on the day of judgement.

so it pays to be a keeper of secrets.

And I heard as it were, the noise of thunder. One of the four beasts saying come and see and I beheld, a pale horse. And his name that sat on him was Death... and Hell followed with him.

they arent "deemed naughty" and they arent "sins". they are real sins. bad actions that leads to people getting  "bad points" (that the definition of a "sin" for a 5/6 years old).

exposing sins leads to all sorts of trouble, like becoming desensitize to the act (note: listening to music), and then its just downward from there.

God knows you're eventually going to regret those acts, and if they have been spread all over the web, that'snot going to help.

--

re the blog, i totally agree with you TPOS, in this situation, better safe than sorry, i'd rather hide what might not be an actual exposition of sin, rather than think "maybe it is, maybe it isnt, let me just say it". because that's how i'd want to be treated if something bad i ever did got public. also we're suppose to give 70-odd excuses to each other, if we did this, there'll be a lot less gossip spreading.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Titanium wrote:
I dont actually understand (never have) why we have to hide "sins" or acts which are deemed naughty and not allowed from others? 

Its really not that complicated. Whats the opposite of hiding ones sins? To boast about them. So assuming you go around boasting about your sins what impression does that give people? That your proud of your sins. You are therefore indirectly promoting sinful actions.

And I heard as it were, the noise of thunder. One of the four beasts saying come and see and I beheld, a pale horse. And his name that sat on him was Death... and Hell followed with him.

SubhanAllah after I posted this topic, I caught up the Quranic Gem vids and look what the latest one (was latest then) talks about Biggrin 

">http://youtu.be/y5YpDilwN04]

Thanks for the replies though Smile ...but btw I know about the ahadith, 70 excuses and that stuff. I'm referring to our conduct on the internet, how we may not realise we're breaking these rules because they'r in a different format. Like if there's a shocking video or article we may share it without thinking there's anything wrong with that....and well I was asking if the same rules/standards should be upheld. And I have come to the conclusion that they should.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Titanium wrote:
I dont actually understand (never have) why we have to hide "sins" or acts which are deemed naughty and not allowed from others? 

There is a social aspect to it - if you know someone is less than perfect, its not always a good idea to let everyone else know, that can be embarrassing, cause pain or make the person worse.

On the other hand, for own sins etc, sharing can sometimes trivialise matters - when you realise that everyone has flaws, and a lot are shared, they can become trivialised. People will drop their standards and not fight as hard because "its normal".

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.