Don't say 'obese' you might upset fat people, councils have been warned
Don't say 'obese'... you might upset fat people, councils have been warned
- Instead, they are people who need to 'achieve a healthier weight'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141600/Cant-fat-people-obese-councils-warned.html#ixzz1uaAUHe6u
The word 'obese' should not be used when encouraging the public to lose weight as it may be 'derogatory', councils have been told.
Instead, anyone who is dangerously overweight should merely be urged to try to 'achieve a healthier weight', according to guidelines drawn up by the health watchdog NICE.
The guidance tells officials to ' carefully consider the type of language' they use when designing posters and leaflets
Forum
Tags
Re: Don't say 'obese' you might upset fat people, councils...
Hummus — Fri, 11 May 2012 - 18:35
Face it, people!
You can't say 'fat', 'dangerously overweight' or 'obese' <--- All of these need to achieve a healthier weight!
Re: Don't say 'obese' you might upset fat people, councils...
_Me_ — Fri, 11 May 2012 - 22:18
I thought calling someone "fat" may have sounded rude :S
I bet saying someone is "skinny" is also considered offensive
Re: Don't say 'obese' you might upset fat people, councils...
lollywood — Sat, 12 May 2012 - 17:22
[quote=_Me_]
I thought calling someone "fat" may have sounded rude :S
[/quote]
But they are, can we call them large?
[quote=_Me_]
I bet saying someone is "skinny" is also considered offensive [/quote]
Not yet