Why do some parents or grandparents favour boys over girls?

Why is it that SOME parents or grandparents favour boys over girls.
They still show love and affection to girls but treat the boys slightly different, even though the girls show more respect?
I have noticed this with my best friends family and it irritates me

Salam

Its is true that most parents do love boys more than girls.

Thats because they think that boys are more useful than girls.

And, that most girls are absolutely useless.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

Its is true that most parents do love boys more than girls.

Thats because they think that boys are more useful than girls.

And, that most girls are absolutely useless.

Omrow

That is so not true, the reason why it is that way
is becuase eventually girls would get married and leave home!
But the guys after they are married they do not leave home but stay with parents.

or later on get their own home! :roll:

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

the reason why it is that way
is becuase eventually girls would get married and leave home!
But the guys after they are married they do not leave home but stay with parents.

or later on get their own home! roll[/quote]

they should appreciate the girls more then, cause they not going to be there for long

i've noticed another thing when girls do something wrong (nothing extreme) they get into more trouble than the guy would not all families are like that but there are the few typical ones

sam

Maybe so!

It could also be, because ages ago, when parents used to be young girls and boys. Their parents treated the girls differently because the girl always stayed home and did the house work whilest the boys went out to work and bought back money for food and that!

:roll:

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

The men had to provide then and its understandable,but that shouldn't be the excuse, parents should treat all their children the same no matter what gender the child is. The society is changing, some women prefer to work now even if the man is working.

sam

My parents and their generation do not have this kind of thinking (thank God) however my gran she may not say it directly but she does do so indirectly. I had an argument with her over this and told her how the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) loved his daughters very much and that he didnt complain to Allah (swt) as to why his sons passed away at such a young age and how he Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) had 4 daughters whom he love unconditionally!

So the excuse they will be leaving home blah blah is lame. Even when Hazrat Fatima-tul-Zahara (ra) lefe the house of her father (saw), she was loved the same way and the the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) missed her so much that one of the companions gave their house to the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) which was next to Hazrat Fatima-tul-Zahara's (ra) so he could be closer to her.

Women are given such a high status in Islam so to think them as inferior is such an ignorant thought!

Girls are absolute darlings...they're a pleasure to bring up and bring blessings into the household.

My family has always favoured girls over boys..mainly cos they're more lovable and give more back to their parents.

Although my grandad does have this biased thing for my good for nothing brother :?

It is however depressing when girls are dismissed or sidelined. This was the custom of the pagan Arabs... which shows how low those people are who possess such sentiments.

"MuslimSister" wrote:

Although my grandad does have this biased thing for my good for nothing brother :?

lol that cracks me up everytime you and lilsis say it cuz thats what me and my sis call my brothers good-for-nothings and thats what they are exactly!

girls are complicated and trouble to bring up evil

boys are simple if they be bad just beat them D

only cavemen and people who still follow the practises of the ignorant, ppl in pre islamic arabia consider women a curse or burden

such people need to move with the time :roll: :roll:

"raf786" wrote:
girls are complicated and trouble to bring up :evil:

You have daughters?

"raf786" wrote:

boys are simple if they be bad just beat them Biggrin

Its not simple as that, sometimes when you hit boys they rebel even more. Plus beating up a child is wrong and mean :evil:

"Angel" wrote:

"raf786" wrote:

boys are simple if they be bad just beat them Biggrin

Its not simple as that, sometimes when you hit boys they rebel even more. Plus beating up a child is wrong and mean :evil:

well some boys end up being women haters like Raf

so they deserve beats

lol lol lol lol
chill i love women ? actaully i shouldnt say that

"was786" wrote:
girls are complicated and trouble to bring up :evil:

boys are simple if they be bad just beat them Biggrin

Boys are just as bad they prob get beats cause they have spent the night in the cell, whilst the girl is at home and won't dare doing anything like that

sam

i dont think they do favour boys over girls, i have brothers and i certainly dnt feel as though they are being favoured over me...

smile and be happy!!!

the main reason boys are favoured to my mind is ching ching-£$. They are the providers. They will bring in the big bucks. A woman's money is her own to keep. Most parents will not ask for their daughters paypacket. They will however expect the sons to pay up.

It's also about continuing the family name. Girls will eventually leave home. One of the boys if not all will remain at home with the parents. But i don't see the problem. If a couple have no sons then surely their daughters will be duty bound to takecare of them in their old age. i don't see what the fuss is about, seems so petty.

Our prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) never complained that he was blessed with daughters for children. Why we complain i really don't know, we're so ungrateful.

times have changed

today girls look after their parents financially and emotionally much more then many good for nothing sons do :roll:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
times have changed

today girls look after their parents financially and emotionally much more then many good for nothing sons do :roll:


i know what u mean, sons seem to get more selfish these days

smile and be happy!!!

Girls show more love and compassion towards there families and parents than boys ever will. I agree that only ignorant people treat there kids unequally. Most people are happy to have kids period. People also treat boys and girls differntly cuz they have to. Girls need to be protected more and sheltered away from all the bad things in this world...cuz theyre the honor of the family. So I guess from that standpoint girls are harder to raise but girls are so much more well behaved. In the eyes of God we are all equal. in fact its a privilage to be a female, we bring life into this world with the help of God that is.

"RoSeAnGeL" wrote:
Girls need to be protected more and sheltered away from all the bad things in this world...cuz theyre the honor of the family. So I guess from that standpoint girls are harder to raise but girls are so much more well behaved.

girls do not need to be 'sheltered' from the world any more than boys, and it shouldnt have anything to do with 'honour' because thats the attitude that leads to people killing others in the name of 'honour' when their actions exemplify the exact opposite. 'honour' as it is used nowadays reminds me of pagan tribes in the day of the Prophet (s.a.w).

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Well I was only stating a fact that in most muslim families...girls r sheltered more than boys are. Physically girls can easily be taken advantage of and thats why parents r afraid of the what if situations. I meant honor as in the pride of the family.

"RoSeAnGeL" wrote:
Well I was only stating a fact that in most muslim families...girls r sheltered more than boys are.
but is that Islamically right? i suppose the extent to which daughters are 'sheltered' differs from one family to the next though so its not easy to pass a judgement on the matter.

"RoSeAnGeL" wrote:
Physically girls can easily be taken advantage of and thats why parents r afraid of the what if situations.
'what if' situations can go on forever... parents should have trust in Allah and pay for their daughters' karate lessons instead. Wink

"RoSeAnGeL" wrote:
I meant honor as in the pride of the family.
if seema sees this she's going to catch me for getting caught up on semantics again :wink:, but 'pride' does not have good connotations in Islam, the word 'dignity' may better describe your point. :oops:

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Well of course parents should trust in ALLAH and pray for their daughters safety butttt it is also the parents duty and responsibility to make sure they do the best they can as well to care for their daughters. And one can speculate all they want but until you have the experience of being a parent yourself its silly to say that parents need to do this or that cuz u have no idea what it is like to be in that position. I like the karate lessons idea. Smile Yea dignity is a better word, but you understood what I meant to say anyways.

A son is a son until he gets himself a wife
But a daughter is a daughter for all her life!

I like this poem bcoz it is true....

SKHAN

"Muslimgirl" wrote:
A son is a son until he gets himself a wife
But a daughter is a daughter for all her life!

I like this poem bcoz it is true....

Two lines is hardly a poem... :roll:

Its more of a common saying.

Back in BLACK

"*DUST*" wrote:
"RoSeAnGeL" wrote:
Well I was only stating a fact that in most muslim families...girls r sheltered more than boys are.
but is that Islamically right? i suppose the extent to which daughters are 'sheltered' differs from one family to the next though so its not easy to pass a judgement on the matter.

The situation does differ from family to family, however overall i think it is safe to conclude that the majority of muslim girls do live sheltered lives.
However it is also how you interpret 'sheltered'

However if being sheltered means you have to do all the work and you are no way allowed to leave the house. - that is wrong

or if being sheltered means you have freedom, go mix with your freinds, go cinema, clubs whatever, i dont want you to be left out, go enjoy yourself - that is also wrong

however if being sheltered means you can go university and work as long as you dress islamiccally, you cant go out at night because its dangerous, you cant go clubbing because theres dancing/freemixing (so i heard), - this is right, i dont see what is wrong with that

"Muslimgirl" wrote:
A son is a son until he gets himself a wife
But a daughter is a daughter for all her life!

I like this poem bcoz it is true....

I don't get it.

BTW I agree that guys and girls should be equally sheltered.

"nAS786" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:
"RoSeAnGeL" wrote:
Well I was only stating a fact that in most muslim families...girls r sheltered more than boys are.
but is that Islamically right? i suppose the extent to which daughters are 'sheltered' differs from one family to the next though so its not easy to pass a judgement on the matter.

However it is also how you interpret 'sheltered'

thats wot i meant in above post.

"nAS786" wrote:
however if being sheltered means you can go university and work as long as you dress islamiccally, you cant go out at night because its dangerous, you cant go clubbing because theres dancing/freemixing (so i heard), - this is right, i dont see what is wrong with that
yes but isnt that the exact same way boys should be 'sheltered'? leading to the conclusion that muslim girls are in fact no more sheltered than muslim boys, or atleast, they shouldnt be.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:

yes but isnt that the exact same way boys should be 'sheltered'? leading to the conclusion that muslim girls are in fact no more sheltered than muslim boys, or atleast, they shouldnt be.

boys and girls are not the same , yes we are eqaul but are diffrent have diffrent roles and therefore are treated in a diffrent way.e.g. muslim girls should not go out alone at night due to obvious dangers, however guys can go out at night as we can handle ourselves , also e.g. girls should cover themselves because guys will perv on them , harass or may try to chat them up, however guys are unlikely to get harassed by girls, etc

Pages