New Site Template *COMMENTS PLEASE*

Salaam

I am currently experimenting with updating the main website template, as part of an effort by me to modernise the site.

I want some similarities to these forums aswell.

What form and functions would you like?

Do you have any requests?

My work in progress:

[url=

Any ideas on what you would like?

[b]TODO:[/b]
1. other trivial things I cannot remember at the moment.
2. The Revival Login box at the top.

What do you lot think?

If you think something looks off, please also mention it here.

I have viewed it in Internet Explorer 6 and Firefox 1.0.

[b]EDIT[/b]

I have changed the homepage to the new template.

I will phase in the changes for the sections over the next few days so eventually all of it will be done.

Place any comments here.

I would love a game of backgammon (embedded not linked).

The colour scheme.

You may as well try and match the colour scheme with the forums.

Include an auto news updating section/thing.

May want to try your hand at a little Macromedia Flash if your looking to update.

More suggestions to come.

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:
The colour scheme.

May want to try your hand at a little Macromedia Flash if your looking to update.

that colour scheme HAS been adapted from these forums! need to do more yet though.

I would much rather avoid flash. I find it annoying.

Javascript is ok though. But I would like to avoid things that move around. I find them childish.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

What about the backgammon?

"100" wrote:
What about the backgammon?

I will ave to think about how to do it. Another question is multiplayer support...

Thats neither a yes nor a no.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

It would make you like the Persil Ultra or Mohammed of Muslim websites.

Give more space to your main thing and make the margins wider. Give your main thing a picture.

Put the stuff at the bottom into the RH margin.

Make anything you want to promote current by giving it a box somewhere above the fold.

"Admin" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:
The colour scheme.

that colour scheme HAS been adapted from these forums! need to do more yet though.

I would much rather avoid flash. I find it annoying.

Javascript is ok though. But I would like to avoid things that move around. I find them childish.

I think flash and programs of the sort are kinda cool, as its a more interesting means of navigation rather than the simple same old same old. Having said that they can sometimes be pretty big files and take a lil longer to load than the alternative, but then again the majority of people are running broadband now so should we really be bothered about catering for the minority who still use 56k dial-up?

Javascript can be used for much more than childish animations or things floating around the screen. Personally i'd like you to change the menu/buttons to have a lil more 'wow' factor coz you gotta admit it is currently just well... a little too simple. Not a criticism... just an observation.

I also rec the site could do with some decent Multimedia.

Back in BLACK

"Admin" wrote:
Salaam

I am currently experimenting with updating the main website template, as part of an effort by me to modernise the site.

I want some similarities to these forums aswell.

What form and functions would you like?

Do you have any requests?

My work in progress:

[url= Page[/url]

Its a bit rough at the moment.

ANy ideas on what you would like?

How bout you change the whole website totally but keep the same colours, your website is to simple make it a lil exciting, dont keep everythin so linear on the site make it somewhat interesting.

P.S. THE FORUM IS SLOW!!!! YOU HAVE BACKED UP THIS TIME???

Salaam

Yes I have backed up. Today in fact. Dirol

I have made a few more changes to the design. Changed one of the colours.

The design is em based, meaning the larger you have your default size, the larger the design will be, instead of just the text size changing.

I have added a bar at the bottom but its not working properly atm.

Question:

Should the area in the middle with the content (such as article) have a background colour? or should it remain white?

anyone?

(I will also login script to login into forums)

Another question: on the right of the logo, should the login area be there, or something else?

I prefer to have a login box, but i keaves alot of empty space.

Someone could maybe make a voice of the muslim youth banner *hint hint*!

[b]WANTED:[/b]

5 Icons.
Home, back, top, email and print.

Ideally should be similar to current 3 at the bottom of all pages.

As small as possible (dimensions, and filesize). Current ones are I think less than 0.5 kb each.

Preferably blue (there is too much green!)

One other question:

How do you prefer screen real estate? do you want it to take full width of your monitor, stretching the content, or to take up the amount it needs, but not stretching it too much.(Those with large monitors, compare current design to the new one to see what I mean).

"Admin" wrote:
Salaam

How come u never backed up last time (not havin a go) but isnt backin up the forum part of your "job" as an admin on this forum?

suggestion: cant we get rid of that orange?

"Admin" wrote:
anyone?

(I will also login script to login into forums)

Another question: on the right of the logo, should the login area be there, or something else?

I prefer to have a login box, but i keaves alot of empty space.

Someone could maybe make a voice of the muslim youth banner *hint hint*!

The log in box should go somewhere on the right hand side.

The text should really be able to work for both a BIG screen monitor and a small one. Im sure you can get it to re-size itself automaticly to bet fit the person/s monitor.

Back in BLACK

"angel" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:
Salaam

How come u never backed up last time (not havin a go) but isnt backin up the forum part of your "job" as an admin on this forum?

suggestion: cant we get rid of that orange?

No I expected the hosting company to do that. Its their job.

orange? in the logo? The person who made it will be sending me some original images (not jpg's) and I will see what happens.

Seraph: I will probably do that, but what should go at the top to fill the space?

"Admin" wrote:

Seraph: I will probably do that, but what should go at the top to fill the space?

If you mean at the top next to the banner; you could always put the latest most viewed threads on the forum.

Back in BLACK

Admin is there anyway u can save the stage your playing on the tetris so u can continue on frm that stage rather than playin all over again????

"angel" wrote:
Admin is there anyway u can save the stage your playing on the tetris so u can continue on frm that stage rather than playin all over again????

lol sis you really are hooked on it aint ya....whats your highest score then? (sorry off topic) lol Lol

I was about to ask 'what tetris?'. I had totally forgot about those games!

I have made a few more changes, and added the content of the homepage, so now you can compare.

[url= homepage[/url]

[url= Template Homepage[/url]

So whaddaya think?

Drat!

I have just noticed some bugs in Internet Explorer, which render the page wrong! (I use firefox).

Looks like I need to spend a whole load more time with it to make it look acceptable in IE.

(I know its IE bugs as after I move the page, it looks how it should depending how fast I scrolled!)

If there are any other requests about the layout, fire away.

(I still need to add the forums login box. I will probably put it under the talking points box. )

"Admin" wrote:
I was about to ask 'what tetris?'. I had totally forgot about those games!

I have made a few more changes, and added the content of the homepage, so now you can compare.

[url= homepage[/url]

[url= Template Homepage[/url]

So whaddaya think?

eh i asked somethin! can it be done or not, i dont care if you forgot bout the games can you do what i asked, i am addicted!! help

Not as far as I know.

It does not have a save game, as that would require a web backend to save the scores etc, and I was not willing to provide such things at the time I stuck the game on.

Salaam

I think I have fixed most problems with the layout now. (there is one small problem at the bottom, with a corner uncurved.)

Which look do you prefer? the old or the new?

Ed made a smart suggestion for a change. So Now on the right, there is a current isue box.

TODO:

Add the login script.
A few other small things as and when I remember and have time.

Salaam

I have changed the homepage to the new template.

I will phase in the changes for the sections over the next few days so eventually all of it will be done.

Currently only a few of the pages support the new template.

PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK AND COMPARE TO OLD TEMPLATE. Which do you prefer?

new template is too squashy with too much spare space on the right

i prefer the old template

text size is user defined. The text on the right is smaller. I will enlarge it later.

I have made the text size on the right panel larger. Anything else?

Pages