Israeli navy on alert as Libyan aid ship heads for Gaza

A Libyan ship carrying aid and activists is heading for Gaza in a mission that Israel has described as an "unnecessary provocation".

The Israeli navy is monitoring the vessel's progress and preparing to intervene if it continues on a course to Gaza.

"I say very clearly, no ship will arrive in Gaza. We will not permit our sovereignty to be harmed," the foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, said in a radio broadcast.

Read more @

It is expected to arrive on wednesday but I suspect it will be re-routed to Egypt this time.

Tags: 

Israel navy begins efforts to stop Libyan aid ship

The Israeli military says it has begun efforts to try to stop a Libyan aid ship from reaching Gaza.

The navy has made contact with the vessel, but its commandos have not boarded the ship, a spokeswoman said.

The Amalthea is expected to reach Gaza's territorial waters on Wednesday, Palestinian and Israeli reports said.

Read more @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Israel warships monitoring Gaza-bound Libyan aid ship

Israeli navy vessels are shadowing a Libyan-chartered ship carrying aid for Gaza, in defiance of the blockade, amid confusion about its final destination.

The Gaddafi Foundation insists the Moldovan-flagged Amalthea is ignoring a warning from Israel to change course.

However, Egyptian and Israeli officials say its captain has agreed to divert to the Egyptian port of El-Arish. The crew are also complaining of engine trouble.

Read more @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

It is surprising how many ships who have tried to break the siege on Gaza have reported engine trouble... Me thinks conspiracy or espionage.

You wrote:
It is surprising how many ships who have tried to break the siege on Gaza have reported engine trouble... Me thinks conspiracy or espionage.

It seems I was wrong about this on this occasion - this was used to buy time inorder to try and get some breakthrough in negotiations, but they failed and the ship went to Egypt.