Islam-Online being decapitated?

Well, this seems to be shocking news to me - IslamOnline is being decapitated by "new management" to give it a salafi outlook where existing staff members are being shut out/removed.

Islam Online goes offline

The abrupt takeover of Islam Online, the Muslim world's most widely read news and information website, speaks volumes about the inability of conservative power brokers to adapt to modernity, broader perspectives, and a more critical analysis of the world we live in.

This week, on the 15th of March, I recalled the Shakespearean play "Julius Caesar" and posted on my Facebook wall, "Beware the Ides of March." Little did I know it would foreshadow what would be happening to me in the U.S. and numerous other courageous and intelligent journalists in Cairo, Egypt. The rumblings came again, first, on Facebook, when I read the status of colleague Lamia El-Sadak's that she was praying for Al-Aqsa and for Islam-Online. What was happening in at the Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem (an Israeli crackdown) I knew. But what was going on at IslamOnline.net, the Muslim news website where I have been employed for the past three months?

I quickly learned that Islam Online was facing immense pressure from a new board of directors based in Qatar, who were moving to fire most of the 330 editors and journalists based in the Cairo office and turn the tone of the diverse moderate Muslim news and information website into one with a conservative, Wahhabi/Salafi tone. Editors in Cairo said there were long-standing tensions between the newsroom and the Qatar directors.

Read more @