Would you favour an OUTDOOR smoking ban?

yes
62% (31 votes)
maybe
8% (4 votes)
no
26% (13 votes)
don't care
4% (2 votes)
Total votes: 50
Tags: 

Just a question relating to this news item:

City council approves outdoor smoking ban

Only two votes against

Acting on the advice of a group of teenagers, Timmins city council has agreed to ban smoking in outdoor spaces in Timmins that are within ten metres of beaches, playgrounds, parks and recreational fields, such as ball diamonds and soccer fields. Council approved third and final reading of a bylaw amendment Monday evening.

The vote was solidly in favour of the anti-smoking sentiment with most councilors saying they're confident that the majority of citizens favour the ban and that even those who disagree with it, will obey the ban.

Read more @

Is an outdoor smoking ban a good idea?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Damn Timminsians. I don't favour an outdoor smoking ban. I don't favour any more excuses for big or local government to start issuing fines. Say we're killing ourselves but actually we're trying to get on with everyday living. Anyone that doesn't want that, move to Timmins.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

I am surprised at the majority opinion on this. I would have thought it more live and let live.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
I am surprised at the majority opinion on this. I would have thought it more live and let live.

I think I voted yes and I'm an ex-smoker!