12% (5 votes)
Israel
21% (9 votes)
Shaitan
36% (15 votes)
No idea
17% (7 votes)
Total votes: 42

Iran today declared Britain its worst enemy.
America has been relegated to second place.

SKYNEWS - Friday - 19 June 2009

Ayatollah: 'UK Is Our Most Treacherous Enemy'

Friday Tehran speech shown live on TV.

The Ayatollah speaking in Tehran after deadly protests

Iran's supreme leader has insisted there was no vote-rigging in a presidential election and attacked "enemies" - naming the UK government as the "most treacherous".

Anger after President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was re-elected led to the biggest street demonstrations in the Islamic Republic's history.

"Today the Iranian nation needs calm," Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said in his first address to the nation since the upheaval began.

But the Ayatollah offered no concession to opposition supporters who are demanding the elections be cancelled and held again, sternly warning against further protests.

He blamed Great Britain and Iran's external enemies for the unrest, vigorously defending the ruling system.

"The enemies (of Iran) are targeting the Islamic establishment's legitimacy by questioning the election and its authenticity before and after (the vote)," the Ayatollah continued.

The supreme leader, Iran's ultimate authority, had earlier urged his compatriots to unite behind hard-line President Ahmadinejad, who won the election by a landslide.

"If the difference was 100,000 or 500,000 or 1 million (ballots), well, one may say fraud could have happened. But how can one rig 11 million votes?" Khamenei asked.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

You missed one option: Muslims. We are our own best enemy.

You can't accuse Britain of what is happening in Iran atm. Either there was vote rigging, in which case the regime is the biggest enemy. Or there was not, in which case its the opposition.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

He does not have the UK as an option in the poll, so I think he is equating them both as one.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Please can someone explain to me what the 'Ayatollah' is?

I thought it was close friends and family of the prophet (p.b.u.h)

+ what's the strong link between Shi'ism and the Ayatollah about?

Or is it that it's just as strong in Sunni Islam too and it's just a co-incidence that i've found in my readings that Shi'a emphasise it's importance more?

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

"Ayatollah" is like the highest authority in shia Islam. It is a religious title given to people who they consider in such high regards that they are considered almost infallible.

Kind of like the pope in catholicism, but there is some sort of hierarchy of ayatollah, grand ayatollah, and then the one incharge of them all...

You wrote:
"Ayatollah" is like the highest authority in shia Islam. It is a religious title given to people who they consider in such high regards that they are considered almost infallible.

Kind of like the pope in catholicism, but there is some sort of hierarchy of ayatollah, grand ayatollah, and then the one incharge of them all...

Ok so what do you mean by 'highest authority'? Highest authority alive or highest authority ever?

What, if anything, does 'ayatollah' mean to Sunnis?

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

"Ayatollah" is a title given to the highest ranking religious clerics in Shia Islam. It is almost like "pope", but where there is only one pope at any one time there can be many ayatollahs.

It does not necessarily mean highest-ranking ever.

Ayatollah means nothing to Sunnis. The Sunni equiavalent may be Sheikh-ul-Islam.

wednesday wrote:
There are 12 in total. The 12th being the hidden Imam and the final Imam.

That's just Twelver Shi'as isn't it?

+ so then, the Ayatollah has NOTHING to do with the prophet (pbuh)?
Where did i get that from then? Shok

wednesday wrote:
There are 12 in total. The 12th being the hidden Imam and the final Imam.

That's different - the Imams were not ayatollahs. I think the ayatollahs came later as a way to bridge between the imams the the plebs.

@ afzana_javed
thats an immortal technique init?

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

I don't know what Sunni Muslims follow but I am a Shia Muslim and I follow Ayatollah.
Ayatollah are top Alims of Islam. I follow Ayatollah as the highest religuous authority alive in the world. Obedience of Alims is known as Takleed.
All Shias are required to choose an Ayatollah whom they will listen to inreligious matters.

When Allah makes our Imam Mahdi return back to earth, then all Shia Muslims will follow him because he will be higher in rank than Ayatollahs.

This is how we believe the 5 highest ranks to be:

1. Allah

2. Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
3. 12 Holy Imams (pbut)
4. Grand Ayatollahs (ra)
5. Ayatollahs (ra)

Allah is the highest authority we have to obey.
Ayatollahs are the least authority we have to obey.

malik wrote:
I don't know what Sunni Muslims follow but I am a Shia Muslim and I follow Ayatollah.
Ayatollah are top Alims of Islam. I follow Ayatollah as the highest religuous authority alive in the world. Obedience of Alims is known as Takleed.
All Shias are required to choose an Ayatollah whom they will listen to inreligious matters.

When Allah makes our Imam Mahdi return back to earth, then all Shia Muslims will follow him because he will be higher in rank than Ayatollahs.

This is how we believe the 5 highest ranks to be:

1. Allah

2. Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
3. 12 Holy Imams (pbut)
4. Grand Ayatollahs (ra)
5. Ayatollahs (ra)

Allah is the highest authority we have to obey.
Ayatollahs are the least authority we have to obey.

Ahh.

Merci beaucoup.

Finally, someone that can answer questions on shias without all the supposition.

So the ayatollahs are seen as similar to the "madhabs" in sunni Islam (but more important)? What are their limits? As in how far do you go with the taqleed - with madhabs it is only as far as rules for actions, and even there the imams said if they are found to be wrong, then not to follow them. Is it the same here?

Ayatollah take biya from Shia Muslims who want to do Takleed. Our Ayatollahs are our guides. They guide us to Paradise by teaching us how to please Allah. They teach us the Sunnah and knowledge of the Holy Quran. Holy Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said I am leaving behind two things: The Quran and my family. Holy Quran is a book of Allah. Ayatollahs are the descendents of his family. He who does not follow the imam dies death of jahiliyah.

OK, one question. Since when does a country, a piece of land or all of its inhabitants become enemies of Islam? If that is true that every British person hates Islam, then how come many Brits are coming to ISlam? Our Ayatollah friend doesn't really answer that. Shaytan is the real enemy, everyone else is just a minion, and if we trust Muhammad (pbuh) we know that with the right attitude and guidance even they can change their ways.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Come on Lamp.

You are a bright spark. You can think for yourself.

If a country can become "rogue", why cant it become evil.

When Gordan Brown says we condemn NOrth Korea, what do you think he means?

What Iran means is that British government is its enemy number one now.

UK seems to be overtaking the US.

Iranian leaders are clearly pissed off at our meddling in their affairs.

OHHHHHH

Ayatollah=highest authority on Earth

it's the AHLUL BAYT (as) that are the family of the prophet (saww)!

Sorry for the confusion >.<