Every city should have its own Boris

Every Large city should have its own Boris, say the Tories

England's 12 largest cities would be given the chance to elect their own equivalent of Boris Johnson under Tory plans to introduce more directly elected mayors.

Under the plans, voters in Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield and Bristol would be among those given a guaranteed referendum on handing authority to a powerful city supremo modelled on the Mayor of London. Bradford, Wakefield, Coventry, Leicester, Nottingham, Liverpool and Newcastle upon Tyne will also be able to vote to choose a mayoral system. Voters will also be given the power to trigger a referendum on any local policy.

A policy document to be launched today says: "In our biggest cities there is a strong case for new powers being placed in the hands of a single accountable individual, an elected mayor who can provide the city with strong leadership.

Golly, I am excited!! Biggrin

What do you think about this?
Is it wise to start creating clones of Boris?
What would you define as an 'accountable individual'?

Why?

What would the person do?

Can we throw rotting vegetables at the person?

If so, I'm in. No, not the running, but for the throwing.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

afzana_javed wrote:

What would you define as an 'accountable individual'?

Someone you can sue, if anything goes wrong
Biggrin

Back in BLACK

You wrote:
Can we throw rotting vegetables at the person?

i've always wanted to do that.

But London needs a mayor because its almost 10 times larger than the next largest city in Britain, which is Birmingham.

And BY FAR most of the money and commerce is here.

Manchester is tiny in comparison, they already have MPs and councilors, what use would be an extra bloke/lass?

Don't just do something! Stand there.