Windows 7 Beta

Salaams

Anyone else tinkering with this? It's supposedly faster than both Vista and XP.

It's a free download for about a week more from the Microsoft website (so may be a good alternative to pirating Windows. But you could just as easily use Linux instead for most tasks and that is also (mostly) free.)

I am using it and it seems ok. Not that I have done any "work" with it.

IE8 seems useable, but there are small artifacts on this site.

Paint seems to have had an upgrade. So does Wordpad.

Howevery, Firefox is extremely ugly in it. Ugly with a capital F.

The task manager that the bottom of the paqge has been replaced with some new thing which I doubt will be as good (application icons - click on them and then click on the one you want to go to. Mac like I think, not that I have used a mac to compare), but I guess I may as well get used to it.

Wassalam

I don't play around with beta versions, I wait until it's stable as I get worried easily when something goes wrong on my pc.

They obviously played around with Firefox to make it as ugly as possible so people use IE.

It may be called a beta version, but it is very stable. It seems faster than my Vista Install too.

I "upgraded" Firefox to a nightly development snapshot for Firefox 3.1 and that is back to the normal level of usability (but its supposed to me much faster in some things (javascript mainly) - not had enough of a play around to confirm...)

I would recommend that even moderately techy people should check it out. Caveats being you need to know how to partition drives and also be willing to lose all saved data (so that discounts most of the people int he world).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.