Russia to build floating Nuclear power station!

Quote:
[size=18]Russia to Build World’s First Floating Nuclear Power Station for $200,000[/size]

Created: 09.09.2005 11:54 MSK (GMT +3), Updated: 12:00 MSK

Russia’s Federal Nuclear Energy Agency has made a decision to build a low capacity floating nuclear power plant (FNPP), the first project of its kind in the world. The plant will be small and will produce roughly 1/150th of the power produced by a standard Russian nuclear power plant. Construction could begin in 2006 if the project finds financing.

[url=

Apart from the safety aspect....

If/When someone wants some fissionable material, instead of sneaking in undetected, stealing it undetected, and sneaking out, undetected again, all they have to do is nick the ship!

And unlike the sneaking in, stealing it bit wherethere is some defense, I do not think any one will attack an actual reactor with weapon even as defence!

Some part of me is saying "Dave! That's an incredibly stupid idea which is probably going to end in catastrophic failure and you should be very worried"

But pretty much everything else is saying

That's flipping awesome.

Next they should do one with a helicopter gyro on top so it can fly!!!!!!

They also have a flying one...

Its known as a strategic ballistic nuclear missile.

It gives massive amounts of power to a remote location at the push of a button.

Anywhere in the world.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

On the other hand, if safety is properly addressed, it could be pretty awesome.

Or if it leakes, the worlds water could glow in the dark.

Who needs light houses?

(I know radioactive material does not (have to)glow!)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

lol.. yea... there's that.

Hey does anybody else remember that somewhat creepy press release from Putin a number of years ago about how Russia built some sort of meganuke that the US doesn't have...?

What happened with that...

Also a positive note on a nucler disaster; Chernobyl.

It seems far less people will die than had been predicted.

Currently about 4000 people will die of the radiation. down from I believe close to 100,000 or more as the previous estimate.

And the radiation outside the exclusion zone has supposedly returned to backgroound levels.

However the exclusion zone is still massive.

Just imagine not being allowed to use 300 square miles of land!

"Admin" wrote:
Just imagine not being allowed to use 300 square miles of land!

lol ironically that's the bush admin's official position on national parks

But this is different.

With the matter that the natural parks are not clearing out land already developed and being used for something.

There is the wildlife, and the scenery that will benefit others.

Apparently there was some investigation by America into a mega powerful neutron bomb, which was halted due to scare stories.

USSR probably never had the same problem. The people behind the scare stories would have been too scared to 'leak' them.

It may be that that they have.

I thought the latest big weapon we were workin on was the lightning gun thing and the unmanned drones.

What the bejesus is a neutron bomb?!

I didn't know we could split neutrons!!!

...aren't quarks from protons?

A neutrom bomb:

I think I am talking about a different type of bomb, or the info I had previously was wrong.

The US does seem to have the above type of bomb.

We have a fine selection of bombs.

Nobody wants to admit we have too many or too much diversity (oftentimes redundant diversity).

Listening to the General Staff attempt to explain which bombs are used for what is like listening to a wine critic attempt to explain why it's okay to go with a Merlot with your sirloin but not a Claret.

And for heavens sake not a 2002 Claret.

"uhh general... let me get this straight, the tactical hydrogen bomb has the same power in megatons, casts the same amount of radiation, and doesn't adversly effect the guidance computers on board just like the traditional A bomb, in short its the same thing via two different methods - so why is the TAC-H bomb better for land use and the A better for sea battles?"

"because that's the way things are done"

"Thanks general."