Art Thread

Where did my old art thread go?!

This is disgraceful.

Let's start off with Picasso - Synthetic Cubism period.

No idea why I like this one, it's called "Violin and Guitar" and is presently housed in the Hermitage.

[img]

Irf - got any more pics you took from your trip to Istanbul?

for anyone familiar with the Tekken series on PS2, i did this one maself in about 5 mins, but i think it looks great!

ermm....how do you get pics in ur post?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Dave" wrote:

Irf - got any more pics you took from your trip to Istanbul?

I did try to be arty-farty with some of them. But it didn't quite work.

I'll pick out the acceptable ones.

Tourist photos are always amazing - because from all those professional pictures you start to get the feeling these aren't actual buildings in real places.

And then you see them there with cars running back and forth and people looking at them and you just stare

Just curious - it is still a functioning mosque I believe - did they let you inside, and did they let you bring a camera?

"Dave" wrote:

Just curious - it is still a functioning mosque I believe - did they let you inside, and did they let you bring a camera?

It's probably the main mosque in Istanbul.

Tourists are allowed in, but they have their own entrance/exit. They also have to stay behind a barrier which stops you from going any further than about 1/5th of the main prayer hall. This applies to all the imperial mosques.

Tourists are generally kept away at prayer time.

Cameras are allowed in all the mosques. Even the smaller mosques happily allow photos to be taken. But cameras are not allowed in churches, which was dissappointing.

"angel" wrote:
Dave there are some pics on this site of mosques in istunbul but you gota go thru them:

How do u put post pics up? i got a few frm my cuz which she took frm her tour in syria/turkey

Upload the image from your comp to .

Then on the forum type the url for the uploaded image between [img] and [/img].

Maybe someone else can describe the process better.

"angel" wrote:

p.s. dont knw which mosque this but found it pretty. beautiful work done on it

It's the Great Mosque of Damascus. Built in 715! But rebuilt after a fire in 1893.

"irfghan" wrote:
"angel" wrote:

It's the Great Mosque of Damascus. Built in 715! But rebuilt after a fire in 1893.

so when did you go to istunbul and where bouts did you go?

Went in April. Sent by Uni.

Only confined ourselves to European part of Istanbul.

"irfghan" wrote:
Went in April. Sent by Uni.

Only confined ourselves to European part of Istanbul.

was it part of your course?

I am defnitely gona go to istunbul sometime in my life, beautiful places there.

Part of the course. But didn't get much of a grade for it :oops: .

I would def recommend Istanbul. The sheer size of the mosques takes your breath away. And the azaan seems to go on forever.

There is part of Istanbul called Fatih. It's very religious and tourists tend to stay away. Also there are noticeably more women around Fatih than men. I went to Zuhr namaz at Fatih Mosque. It was packed as if it was Jumma. But it probably gives you the best experience of Istanbul because of the lack of tourists. Fatih def the most interesting area of Istanbul.

For all the 'modern' 'westernized' types there is Taksim. The modern city centre with its 'high-street' shops, clubs, and gay bars, and belly dancing and all the rest of it.

ewwwww hayder what kind of ugly so called art is that?

UGLY??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

ITS TEKKEN!! i designed it maself, dont care wat u say.....i think its great Dirol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Hayder Hussain" wrote:
UGLY??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

ITS TEKKEN!! i designed it maself, dont care wat u say.....i think its great Dirol

:oops: sorry i take that back, its designed well what i meant was those guys on the pic were ugly, its not the kind of art i appreciate but you can tell a lot of effort was made assumin you did design it.

it wasnt easy, but all in 5 mins work for me!

assume? course i did.

i wud show u some of my computer artwork for my imaginary showroom....but i plan to use it one day, cant have any1 stealing my ideas

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"angel" wrote:
hmm lets see if this work probs doesnt!

[img]

Thanks irf

That is very unusual architecture for early islamic art - I daresay there is some crusader influence like on the Al-Aqsa Mosque

What are the murals on the outside of it?

"Hayder Hussain" wrote:
it wasnt easy, but all in 5 mins work for me!

assume? course i did.

i wud show u some of my computer artwork for my imaginary showroom....but i plan to use it one day, cant have any1 stealing my ideas

lol like angel said it's not precisely the kind of art I am used to, but I gotta admit it's phenomenal work - I dunno much about computer art - did you seriously do it 5 minutes?

computer art and islamic art are the only ones i find appealing. yeah its fairly easy if u knw wat ur doin.

there was this nice mosque i seen wen i was in dubai, cant find the pic tho :?

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Dave" wrote:

That is very unusual architecture for early islamic art - I daresay there is some crusader influence like on the Al-Aqsa Mosque

I duno much bout the mosque but didnt irf say that the old building caught fire and the above pic was of the new buildin? It is unusual which is why i find it apealing.

"angel" wrote:
"Dave" wrote:

I duno much bout the mosque but didnt irf say that the old building caught fire and the above pic was of the new buildin? It is unusual which is why i find it apealing.

It's decribed in a book I've got as: Christian architecture Islamicized. Completed in 715 by the calpih al-Walid I. The sanctuary facade and dome were rebuilt after the catostrophic fire of 1893; the original arcade would have been much lighter.

It was built around the temple of Jupiter Damascenus and the curch of St John the Baptist.

Many meanings have been proposed for the mosaics: topographical references to Damascus or to Syria in general, wishfulfilling depictions of a world at peace under Islamic sway, or evocations of Paradise. Perhaps such ambiguity is intentional.

[img]

what is he doin?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

drinkin from a petrol pump....what does it look like!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

? why?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

sheer stupidity...ask him, hes on this forum now n then!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

[img]
Original phone pic. trees from my bus stop in february.

Now the follow up:

[img]

Summer from same spot. Same camera, same lampost, but higher res.

Hayder can you guess where that is from?

Pages