'We will be able to live to 1,000'

An old article from the BBC (December 2004), but an intriguing one nevertheless:

ife expectancy is increasing in the developed world. But Cambridge University geneticist Aubrey de Grey believes it will soon extend dramatically to 1,000. Here, he explains why.

Ageing is a physical phenomenon happening to our bodies, so at some point in the future, as medicine becomes more and more powerful, we will inevitably be able to address ageing just as effectively as we address many diseases today.

I claim that we are close to that point because of the SENS (Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence) project to prevent and cure ageing.

It is not just an idea: it's a very detailed plan to repair all the types of molecular and cellular damage that happen to us over time.

And each method to do this is either already working in a preliminary form (in clinical trials) or is based on technologies that already exist and just need to be combined.

Read more @

there's some stuff that just shouldnt be research in my opinion.

I've heard that my generation's life expectancy has actually gone down because of the food and the technology. (eating and sitting and not moving around much)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Now wrong with research etc.

However if people start to live ten times longer, that could cause the population to continue booming instead of settling at a specific figure as the equilibrium would be changed.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i don't know about you but i would not want to live for that long how could life possibly get any more interesting?. So age of retirement would increase to what 800 yrs old, so i'd have to work for that long darn i think i'd need drugs. i'm already sick of life. To me it is a bunch of chores, everything seems like a burden that must be done whether I like it or not. Life has it's perks but I can see it for what it really is a sojourn on a planet that is not my real home.

Besides i don't think it will ever come to that, ppl who want to live forever fund that sort of research this world is the only life they think they have.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

If there were longer lives, I guess people could pace themselves differently and what you would do as a youthful 200 year old I have no idea. I would suspect that the early years would be the same. and potentially there could be no retirement because there would be cures for cell degeneration - if you die it would be a quick death.

Life has it's perks but I can see it for what it really is a sojourn on a planet that is not my real home.

On the other hand it is not supposed to be torture and you are allowed to enjoy it within the limits of shariah. Life is a blessing and all that stuff.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i know insha'Allah ill change my tune in few months.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

i know insha'Allah ill change my tune in few months.

Aameen. Same for everyone else too.

if i lived to a thousand i could learn SO many languages!
and FINALLY memorize the Qur'an
and read read read read read
and study all those interesting stuff there is to study
and travel ALL over the world

OMG

just imagine being married to the same person for hundreds of years? wouaw..you cant make no mistake while choosing your spouse.. =/
and have to wait hundreds of years to meet God
and have to be good and not sin for hundreds on years

they better invent something for memories...whats the point in living years and years if you cant remember most of them?

and i bet there would be this "declaration" if you decide to keep on living then you cant have kids, that should balance the equilibrium (yeah...read a fiction book about this called...wouldnt you know? "the declaration") and then no kids = no innocence = no youth..bleh...

conclusion...I DONT want to live to a thousand.

Maybe they will also be able to keep you youful in mind too? "Forever young"

then everyone would be childish and there wont be any rules to break or any "adults" to annoy...

and then people who invented the "youthful mind" stuff will obviously not take it and kinda rule the world?

s.b.f wrote:
yuck

agreed

Don't like the idea of being old, frail and elderly for hundreds of years - although the idea of being youthful and full of energy for hundreds of years excites me. There's so much I could do..