The Prophet (saw) ordered women to attend Eid Salaah?

I read this in an online translation of :

Narrated Um 'Atiya:

We used to be ordered to come out on the Day of 'Id and even bring out the virgin girls from their houses and menstruating women so that they might stand behind the men and say Takbir along with them and invoke Allah along with them and hope for the blessings of that day and for purification from sins.

While there are (sometimes?) arrangements made for women to attend fridays prayers, is this also the case for Eid prayer, or is this much rarer - or even unheard of?

So... why are the women these days not encouraged to take part in this sunnah? Afterall, the word used in the translation is "order" which to me would signify importance.

Tags: 

Carry on... "they are..." what?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

It depends on the ethnic community.

Somalian women always attend masjid for juma and for eid prayers and Somalian families go as a whole kids and all from youngest to the eldest.

Gujarati Muslim women and Shia women tend to attend also for juma and eid as a norm.

Its generally the bengali and pakistani women kept at home although nowadays more of them from a pakistani background may attend juma prayers the numbers are still small from both these communities and this is down to the culture prevelant in the days of our grandparents n parents who were born and "educated" or "cultured" abroad they did as the man bid and kept the tradition when shifting to the UK too. Back in the day aslo the norm was do as the man or elders want and not to question it which has passed down since as our elders accept it as the right thing to since they don't know any better. These women would also not have read the Qur'an so much in bengali or urdu but mostly in arabic so they wouldn't even understand the language and thus now know what they are allowed to do or have. Furthermore its a norm for the men in these communities to quote the hadith when it suits them and they need to ensure control over the women and the women won't even think to gain access to it to read ans learn for themselves. Its not the case for all women but it is for the majority and its just accepted that the women won't attend. For some the men probably wouldn't even mind their wives and daughters accompanying them but they just don't think beyond the accepted norm. For some men its more improtant the wife stays at home to cook for eid and the coming guests - attendance at masjid will only distract her. Some women themselves prefer to stay at home to get the cooking done and then dress up! .

I think its sad whichever way - there's such a warm feeling in the whole family going out to welcome eid and trust me the many Somalian families I have seen all leaving together for eid prayers with huge smiles and laughter - us asian lot are missing out!

To think beyond the accepted norm, you generally need a reason to do so. Like someone asking to attending eid prayer or coming across random information...

(Can we please not turn this into a feminist crusade as I think that is too simple as answer and most probably wrong - you can't subjugate 50% of the people... well, you can, but you know ... erm... it is possible if they are all strangers, but is it still the case when its the people around you, that brought you up, helped educate you and formulate how you think?)

I was asking more about Eid prayer and not Jumuah - while I do know of women going to mosque for both jumuah and for eid prayer, the latter seems stranger, less habitual.

There could also be other reasons - wanting to get all the eid/party gear on before anyone sees you - or something more traditional where women are generally more involved in preparing food etc., so they have less time.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I did mention the "other" reasons too like women preferring to cook n dress up - You must have given up after 98% of the male bashing Blum 3

P.s. I can't be Muslim and feminist too as there's no room for feminism in Islam - I have all the liberty I need in Islam so I never need to go on a feminist crusade Smile

P.p.s. You know I'm right Biggrin

You be evil
I be true Blum 3 Blum 3 Blum 3

:oops:

From your original post:

I think its sad whichever way - there's such a warm feeling in the whole family going out to welcome eid and trust me the many Somalian families I have seen all leaving together for eid prayers with huge smiles and laughter - us asian lot are missing out!

Agreed - could put some more community spirit into things, make them appear more festive.

i think you would have to ask someone locally who studies hadith so they can give you a commentary on it, because it may sound easy to translate looking at it but they are never as easy as that, which i;m sure you know.

Anyways putting aside these issues there is nothing wrong with women attending prayers in general including Eid prayers, as long as conditions are met, she is dressed modestly, she can get their safely and back, if it is dark i.e she should have a mahram to take her etc etc.

I know i can answer for myself and the community i live in when i say most the women here don't attend Eid salat or any salat because no room is allocated for them in the masjid. For Eid i don't know if my local masjids could accommodate women and men because ppl end up praying on the concrete steps and grounds outside because so many ppl turn up. But for jumuah and other daily prayers they could be accommodated for because it is not as busy. So i blame the mosques.

Yes men in pakistani and bengali communities can be more backward in their thinking women should stay at home and pray, but times have changed and even the traditional thinkers with persuasion would allow their wives to go for Eid prayers or any prayers if the facility was there.

I don't go for that reason no facility. I don't care about the food and dressing up, to me the spiritual side is very significant. Eid to me year by year is becoming something superficial, and even commercial. If it had a bit of a spiritual flavour in it, it would definitely alter my view on it, because right now i just see it as a burden financially and emotionally i get very stressed because im not used to cooking for large families alone, yes laugh if you will but most girls i know have sister in laws or aunties to help them for dinner parties i dont, so please let me feel sorry for myself lol.

I'm moving again soon insha'Allah so i will get the chance to pray regularly, well at least jumuah prayers in masjid with my family, that would mean so much to me.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Inshallah your move will be successful and you will get to enjoy the community atmosphere a bit more (especially as enjoyment is a part of religion too, as long as its done in halaal manners and not taken to extremes.)

Our mosque has normally two (or three) jama'ahs for Eid prayer because how the people cannot fit.

I hear that back in the day before there were many mosques, for eid prayers, they used to do it collectively in the local park.

Now that summer is coming back round, I doubt there would be enough unity for that to happen again, but if it did... I enjoyed staring into the cloudless sky, day dreaming, this year while the imam was doing his Eid khutbah. (I was out on the pavement due to lack of space...)

isn't it sunnah to pray eid salah outside and not in the masjid?

the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) prayed it once inside the masjid because of rain.

Do you think that was to cover us folk in the UK?

Otherwise, I don't know.

Can women do Eid Prayer at home? Is there more reward in going to the mosque for it? (Eid prayer)

^no. it must be prayed in jamah.

Random wrote:
Can women do Eid Prayer at home? Is there more reward in going to the mosque for it? (Eid prayer)

It's not just about the prayer - if you click the link, there is a narration further down where even menstruating women were commanded to go - even though they cannot read the eid salaah in that state, and were told to avoid getting into congregation/onto the musallah/praying area.

Noor wrote:
^no. it must be prayed in jamah.

So the choice is:
-either pray in Jamah or don't pray it at all?

yes. Eid prayer cannot be done alone.

You wrote:
So... why are the women these days not encouraged to take part in this sunnah? Afterall, the word used in the translation is "order" which to me would signify importance.

In the Hanafi school (which would be the majority of the people from the Indian subcontinent), Eid salah is not necessary for women and nor is it recommended in itself.

Hi can any one pleae tell me how to write EID MUBARAK in useing actual Gujrati alphabet not english or latin alphabet .

bump

You wrote:
bump

Talk about original...

I went! Biggrin In the park! It was fun! I ate sweets! (not while praying, before... and after)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Awesome!

You wrote:
Awesome!

what did you do wth your eid?

Erm.. I went to the mosque. Managed to squeeze into the kitchen sort of area (where they store a lot of differnet things including DIY, tools, paint etc, but its known [to me] as the kitchen area because sometimes food is also stored there before distribution), then after the paryer, came home. then went to a few relatives houses as a mob - quick snack (or meal if you want) from each place. after about 5/6 houses was stuffed, at the last one got some tea, then went to someone elses house, came home, lied down for ten minutes, then got ready for friday prayer, then went there and then came home and then some people came here.

You wrote:
Erm.. I went to the mosque. Managed to squeeze into the kitchen sort of area (where they store a lot of differnet things including DIY, tools, paint etc, but its known [to me] as the kitchen area because sometimes food is also stored there before distribution), then after the paryer, came home. then went to a few relatives houses as a mob - quick snack (or meal if you want) from each place. after about 5/6 houses was stuffed, at the last one got some tea, then went to someone elses house, came home, lied down for ten minutes, then got ready for friday prayer, then went there and then came home and then some people came here.

Mashallah!! such a busy day! :shock: and thats the just the beginning of the day.

Here, we're having ONE guest over. and im dying...

Lilly wrote:
Here, we're having ONE guest over. and im dying...

We've also had one guest over throughout the whole day. Didn't go to anyone's house.

I actually spent quite a portion of the day sleeping....does that count as having fun?

actually we had a late night guest.

And i got cash... *ching ching* $_$

how would allot of you feel if i said the fact that women dont attend eid prayer is becaus allot of the women are ignorant of the prophetic sunnah. a

that us pakistani/bengali/ men could not bear the thought of our women going to the mosque.
and not staying at home.

or

eve the fact that we still think that wer back in pakistan and this would not happen there??

what r your thoughts

1. It's not fardh
2. There can be good reasons.
3. Its better to act than to preach to others (IMO).