Sufism in Saudi

Good. 

I'm by no means an expert on this, and I doubt anyone wants to know, but my crude not very educated opinion:

From what I've read, the religious powers right now don't seem to be doing a very good job, pretty much destroying historical remnants for reasons that are not good enough and women's rights there seem to be a shambles, nothing like those prescribed Islamically. I don't know how much of that is down to Wahabi-ness or the government or whatever, but from what I've studied of Sufism at University, its distinctly mellower yet more rigorously SPIRITUAL rather than dogmatic approach would in my opinion be welcome. Also, I did a whole big assignment and exam on how the Prophet PBUH is related to Sufism, which according to many academic texts pretty much arose from his example (don't 'bid'ah' me) and the Quran in Sufism's purest form, which is possibly why Sufism is a REsurgence.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

please stop usin gthe term wahabi-ness. its just used derogatory and has all kinds of hidden meaning behind it.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:

please stop usin gthe term wahabi-ness. its just used derogatory and has all kinds of hidden meaning behind it.

How is it disrespectful? If you read the article, its about the history of wahabi to sufi reign- if I didn't say wahabi-ness (Meaning NOT hidden, definition being: related to the wahabi tradition) I would just be saying The Wahabis.

'-ness' is simply a suffix used to make a noun an adjective, it seems kinda silly to suddenly decide there's some hidden agenda behind it. 

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

i agree. i didnt decide it.

Lilly wrote:

Well considering the ridiculousness (derogatory?) of the claim, if you could point me towards the law stating that the term 'wahabi-ness' is offensive... 

I think Maulana Jalal ud-Din Rumi was an inspirational Sufi. He left his legacy behind along with some amazing poetry! In my opinion, Sufism may be calm, relaxing and a way of gaining closeness to Allah. Though i do think that, sometimes, it can get a bit 'too' much. I like the whirling dervishes, I've been to Turkey and watched them! They have a great talent, I just don't know how they do it!

Rawrrs_isarollingstone wrote:

Lilly wrote:

Well considering the ridiculousness (derogatory?) of the claim, if you could point me towards the law stating that the term 'wahabi-ness' is offensive... 

The Saudi governments official religion is Wahabi.  Wahabiness is anice new term nothing wrong with it.  Sounds somehow softer.  It would be so so good for everyone to be allowed freedom to express their religion.  In my opinion Sufism is the fundamental core of Islam. Wahhabism is the opposite, if the two groups could get along, then how wonderful it would be.  The Islamic world may actually present a united front, all different yet all brothers and sisters.

The Saudi governments official religion is Wahabi.

is that a fact or an opinion?

Lilly wrote:

The Saudi governments official religion is Wahabi.

is that a fact or an opinion?

An observation?

I thought it was a fact what with bin Baz and everything 

When you simplify things too much, they dont always be entirely accurate.

The ruling family did ally themselves with the wahabies.

however the dominant group in Saudi is teh salafis, which can or can not be wahabis. can be differnet.

and as with all other Muslims, there is always a dynamic at play where diferent forces pull in different directions.

The more extreme views over time will get weeded out, as always happens.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

laila wrote:

The Saudi governments official religion is Wahabi.  Wahabiness is anice new term nothing wrong with it.  Sounds somehow softer.  

I know right! 

You wrote:

When you simplify things too much, they dont always be entirely accurate.

The ruling family did ally themselves with the wahabies.

however the dominant group in Saudi is teh salafis, which can or can not be wahabis. can be differnet.

and as with all other Muslims, there is always a dynamic at play where diferent forces pull in different directions.

The more extreme views over time will get weeded out, as always happens.

Salafis are Wahhabis - I thought

The term salaf relates back to the Prophet (sall Allahu alayhi wasalam) and the companions.  Following and acting upon evidences that come from these sources only and not any imams etc are known as those who follow the salaf.

Yes the generations that the Imams came from are known as the salaf saliheen.

This is different from now though.

Following a school of thought is no different from the rest as everyone (atleast those not having in complete knowledge) follows someone, whether they acknowledge it or not.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Sighs.. Same old song when will this end I've been away a long time and frankly it's the same boring debates.

Let me put in my tuppence, Islam is the religion the Saudis follow Wahhabism isn't technically a religion as such. 

As for Sufism being the religion our prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) followed that made me laugh, since when is Sufism a religion? If u mean spirituality 

I agree but our prophet  Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was known for being on the battlefield too and the fact remains Sufism as far as I know doesn't advocate physical jihad, at least the sufis of today do not. Many go so far as only accepting inner jihad and fully reject physical jihad even though our prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and islamic texts defend its use when necessary

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Its the prophet that mentioned the greater jihad in hadith.

That does not invalidate real jihad but the truth is that many groups advocating jihad are busy killing other Muslims.

Let me put in my tuppence, Islam is the religion the Saudis follow Wahhabism isn't technically a religion as such.

as with all things, we all think that what we follow is the closest and best interpretation. As such you will think that and I will disagree. Others will have different interpretations from us two too.