Will the government's web 'snoop' plans work?

The government will soon outline its plans to give security officials the power to monitor emails and internet use.

The proposals, which are predicted to feature in the upcoming Queen's speech, have been described by supporters as a much-needed "modernisation" of current measures which allow the monitoring of telephone calls.

Critics, however, call the plans an unnecessary extension of the law, and an infringment of civil liberties.

The government will soon outline its plans to give security officials the power to monitor emails and internet use.

This is an invasion of privacy
How are they going to monitor every single email and internet use?

Are we slowly becoming like Iran and China?

My English is not very good

Not only that, it will also be expensive.

and the government is all about saying that there is no money when it is cutting services and benefits of the poorer off already.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Not only that, it will also be expensive.

and the government is all about saying that there is no money when it is cutting services and benefits of the poorer off already.

They'll say that this is going to create jobs

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
Government retreats on digital 'Big Brother' plan

Maybe they just wanted to know what people's opinion was

The government hasnt really withdrawn or retracted the plans for such legislation.

It is simply stating that it is still in the process of drafting it.

No U-turn, no change of policy after an outcry.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
The government hasnt really withdrawn or retracted the plans for such legislation.

It is simply stating that it is still in the process of drafting it.

When its ready it I’ll probably be time for the next elections

You wrote:

No U-turn, no change of policy after an outcry.

Do you remember the digital ID card row they seem to have back tracked from that then they were sayin about some NHS database I think that's gone too

This scheme is not workable

Lets start with they want to monitor every phone call on landlines and mob made by every person,how many people would they need to monitor the whole nation?

Then they went to monitor website use aswell, that’s going to be a mammoth task in it’s self for example how are they going to monitor social networking site like facebook, twitter, myspace Youtube alone that have hundreds of comments a minute never mind personal emails and web history

I dont understand why they actually need this law. The government + Police already have the power and ability to snoop they just have to get a Magistrate to sign a warrant first.

Also isnt this kinda what China does? So much for western democracy.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
I dont understand why they actually need this law. The government + Police already have the power and ability to snoop they just have to get a Magistrate to sign a warrant first.

This would be done in the open and I don't think it would need any signatures

Seraphim wrote:

Also isnt this kinda what China does? So much for western democracy.

I was thing that too
I bet the ME are now thing twice about wanting western democracy

Non-Muslims and Muslims alike are opposing it here. And why shouldn't they?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

eh?
God and people are two different things!

People are not allowed to snoop and spy on each other!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Doesnt matter.

Not just a religious concern.

Knowledge is power and it can be used in bad ways. Even if the "government" is benign, it is made up of people who can have agendas.

Like how some police sold data to journalists. Except with this there will be more data and more people with access to it.

The lie is in the article.

"unless it is changed" which means slight cosmetic changes and they will jump aboard.

The Lib Dems are slimy.

You wrote:
The lie is in the article.

"unless it is changed" which means slight cosmetic changes and they will jump aboard.

The Lib Dems are slimy.

What slight changes are they looking for?