Does The Revival website need an Agony Aunt/Uncle?

Yes I would use it
58% (61 votes)
Yes but I won't use it
11% (12 votes)
No
16% (17 votes)
Not sure
15% (16 votes)
Total votes: 106

The site has done just fine without it.

Everyone has a different perspective and that is needed when giving out advice. It's not right to give just one view on something, people need to know all their options.

It already has an agony uncle Blum 3

Noor wrote:

Everyone has a different perspective and that is needed when giving out advice. It's not right to give just one view on something, people need to know all their options.

Is everyone qualified to give advice?
Shouldn't advice be from someone who is professional and experienced in the subject to offer it?
Some advice needs to be of a scholarly narure whilst other of a professional nature. Do we have that on thsi forum?
Isn't bad advice dangerous as it could give the seeker bad information/choices and misguide him/her?

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
Noor wrote:

Is everyone qualified to give advice?
Shouldn't advice be from someone who is professional and experienced in the subject to offer it?
Some advice needs to be of a scholarly narure whilst other of a professional nature. Do we have that on thsi forum?
Isn't bad advice dangerous as it could give the seeker bad information/choices and misguide him/her?

is that what an agony aunt/uncle is?

when i think a.aunt/uncle. i imagine some old lady/man dishing out advice from their past (outdated) experiences.

we need councillors. but then there's the youthline.
we needs a "big bro/sis" system. we need role models/to be role models to the younger ones.
we need scholars.
we need guidelines on how to give advice ourselves. the islamic guidelines.
we need to seek knowledge/get taught so we dont teach wrong.

i havent voted yet. but i will now. and i think its going to be no.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

You are approaching this the wrong way.

if there is someone who will offer the service that you think is capable, then you ask if the service should be added, mentioning names.

otherwise, its just a pie in the sky thing like a million other plans.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Admin-You is the agony uncle

My English is not very good

Wasn't Ruqaiyah Waris Mahmood the agony aunt for a while? What happened to her?
Was it because she wasn't in house?

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

You wrote:
You are approaching this the wrong way.

if there is someone who will offer the service that you think is capable, then you ask if the service should be added, mentioning names.

otherwise, its just a pie in the sky thing like a million other plans.

the issue is of demand...

from reading posts on the forum i believe there is a demand...

I have spoken to Shaykh Salim Ghisa and he is prepared to do it. He's a scholar,teacher, Brit, understands life in the UK, manager for a big company so understands life/work in UK, deals with youth issues daily online, talks, radio, Islamic centres etc....

He is also known and respected figure...

Alongside him I know a few qualified counsellors and we can get their input aswell...

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
I have spoken to Shaykh Salim Ghisa and he is prepared to do it.

What would be more useful from him would be a structured online learning course teaching the basic fiqh that would be useful for everyone to know.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
TheRevivalEditor wrote:
I have spoken to Shaykh Salim Ghisa and he is prepared to do it.

What would be more useful from him would be a structured online learning course teaching the basic fiqh that would be useful for everyone to know.

that sounds interesting... send me details and I can discuss this with him and see how it can be done...

Having said that I think if he was the Agony shaykh then he could make a big difference in peoples lives; as theres nothing better than getting solid islamic advice when you are in a sticky situation.

Patience wrote:
Finding out solutions to my problems from some who thinks they know more is not my thing because I like to learning from challenging situations by dealing with them how I think it's best to deal. I rarely ask someone else of their opinion on how I should deal with a problem or situation I face...

So not to influence the vote, I'm out.

so you're more for admin's idea? of being taught Islam in general so we can apply it to make our own decisions.

i like both ideas.

i think creed needs to be taught before "do this do that this way, that way"

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?