who's celebrating christmas then?

our prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) didnt so i don't pay attention to so called fatwas on this

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

I was thinking about this.

I don't understand the logic behind the 'Celebrating the birth of Prophet Isa (as)'. I mean if you want to celebrate the birthday of Prophet Isa(as), celebrate it in the summer(?)when he was actually born. Like you're not gna celebrate Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) birthday in like Jumada ul awwal, are you? Celebrating Christmas at this time of year means you're celebrating the Christian festival...well it's more pagan.

Christmas has lost its meaning anyway. Everyone, even non-Christians celebrate it just cuz it's become part of the culture. So does it matter if as Muslim, a person exchanges gifts, gets together with family etc?

I don't really celebrate it though.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

A scholar really said it was ok? Even if Xmas has lost its meaning with most people, it would still be imitating others, why do u wanna do tht?

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

bilan wrote:
A scholar really said it was ok? Even if Xmas has lost its meaning with most people, it would still be imitating others, why do u wanna do tht?

Well what's wrong with getting together with loved ones and just enjoying yourself? Culture is only wrong if it contradicts Islam, right?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
bilan wrote:

Well what's wrong with getting together with loved ones and just enjoying yourself? Culture is only wrong if it contradicts Islam, right?

Dunno, where would u draw the line though? Are u getting together cos everyones probs off from work etc or especially because its xmas and u do it annually?

the birth of Prophet Isa (AS) is signified in the Quran. Shaykh ul Islam mentions that MQ celebrate the birth of Prophet Isa (AS) as a Messenger, not God like the Christians do.

there is nothing wrong with celebrating the births of Prophet's (AS).

so what if it is done at this time of the year?

like Shaykh ul Islam mentions, we celebrate the milad of Prophet Adam (AS) every friday, the milad of the holy Prophet (SAW) during rabbiul awwal.

bilan wrote:
bilan wrote:

Dunno, where would u draw the line though? Are u getting together cos everyones probs off from work etc or especially because its xmas and u do it annually?

Mainly the former, but like I said, IF it doesn't contradict Islam, then there is no line to cross? :S
Noor wrote:

He wasn't born at this time of the year and it is celebrated by Christians now - nothing Islamic about it.
Quote:

like Shaykh ul Islam mentions, we celebrate the milad of Prophet Adam (AS) every friday, the milad of the holy Prophet (SAW) during rabbiul awwal.

I didn't know the milad of Prophet Adam (as) was celebrated every friday - what is the basis of this? Something related to Islam I presume...

Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was actually born in Rabbi ul awwal.

Is milad bday? Prophet Adam (as) was created on a friday but I thought that Friday was a holy day for muslims because Allah (swt) told the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) that it was not because of prophet Adam (as)?

@feefs: theres getting together on what happens to be xmas and theres celebrating xmas if not in the full sense of the word. Even if it is the culture, its the culture of a Christian country. they wouldnt be celebrating this in India would they be?

bilan wrote:
Is milad bday? Prophet Adam (as) was created on a friday but I thought that Friday was a holy day for muslims because Allah (swt) told the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) that it was not because of prophet Adam (as)?

yep milad = birthday

and I haven't heard of friday being holy cuz of that reason either, so can't comment.

Maybe it's in the link on OP? :oops:

[quote=ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE]He wasn't born at this time of the year and it is celebrated by Christians now - nothing Islamic about it.[quote]

so what? we have more right to celebrate the birth of Prophet Isa (AS) than the Christians do. MQ makes it very very clear in their interfaith events that we celebrate the fact that Prophet Isa (AS) was sent as a Prophet, not God like Christians do.

nothing Islamic about it? lol. the fact that Prophet Isa (AS) is a Prophet in Islam says to me it is very much Islamic.

if you wish not to commemorate the birth of the Prophets that is totally up to you. God will reward accordingly.

I didn't know the milad of Prophet Adam (as) was celebrated every friday - what is the basis of this? Something related to Islam I presume...

Prophet Adam (AS) was born on jummah.

Noor wrote:
He wasn't born at this time of the year and it is celebrated by Christians now - nothing Islamic about it.

so what? we have more right to celebrate the birth of Prophet Isa (AS) than the Christians do. MQ makes it very very clear in their interfaith events that we celebrate the fact that Prophet Isa (AS) was sent as a Prophet, not God like Christians do.

nothing Islamic about it? lol. the fact that Prophet Isa (AS) is a Prophet in Islam says to me it is very much Islamic.

if you wish not to commemorate the birth of the Prophets that is totally up to you. God will reward accordingly.

you're not getting what I'm saying are you :/

i find it hard to believe celebrating prophets births is ok. i can see vaguely the evidence for milad, and i respect our differences on that. but suggesting its ok to celebrate the birth of isa (as)on a false date created by modern day christians , which btw has its roots in winter pagan festivities is absurd. more importantly Allah has told us to be different to the disbelivers in every way, that includes festivals. to me celebrating xmas is immitation at the very least , and on the more serious side a sin that can'tbe justified. milad fine, but b'day of prophet isa (as) no evidence for it what so ever.

a lot of faith groups celebrate it because everyone else is and they don't want to feel left out, i believe most do it out of this social pressure rather than any religious convictions. the religious element raised here is new to me, and i don't believe it for one minute, but each to their own.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

bilan wrote:

theres nothing wrong with getting together with loved ones, i usually do it during the half term break, wkend or summer. we shouldn't specify dates to get together since Allah has told us clearly there are no celebrations for us other than the two eids. So why would we want to celebrate on the same day as christians, why not wait till the 25th is over? why show our love for our partners on the 14th of feb coz the christians, atheists and all n sundry are, why nt be different as Allah instructed us to be?

we should be proud we have our own way of doing things, i think. as muslims these days we are easily sucked in following the crowd just to fit in.

Hajjar wrote:
but suggesting its ok to celebrate the birth of isa (as)on a false date created by modern day christians , which btw has its roots in winter pagan festivities is absurd.

That's where I was coming from. Thanks again for putting my thoughts clearer Biggrin

Although, 'absurd' sounds harsh...meh

ok sorry it sounds bonkers?

can u imagine if your local christians, atheists, hindus sikhs etcs started celebrating eid? .....loooool

I wasn't originally going to comment on this topic but as i was going through my e-mail i recieved this from my little sister who's started doing weekly e-mails as of last week & she had this to say:

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu

i hope my dear brothers and sisters that you are in the best of imaan and health inshallah and if you are all moody by this cold weather its hadeeth of the week again YAY! Biggrin this should cheer you up Biggrin

As you all know its Christmas!

This week i had a special request from my dear freind and sister in islam of why we do not celebrate Christmas as this 
is a festive holiday which everyone celebrates all religions so why not Muslims?

The fact is Muslims should not be taking part in Christmas or other festives that are not based in Islam, that do not uphold the principles/teachings that we have not been taught by prophet Muhammad PBUH. But many Muslims do. A sad fact and one that undermines the establishing of Islam and a united ummah.

So why would it undermine things? how dose it make the impression of Islam as 'non-establishing' ? (i dont even think thats a word sorry lolz)

Firstly we are Muslims and we distinguish ourselves as being Muslims and following Islam. There is no need to follow the tradition of another religion, especially if we have been Commanded by Allah and his Messenger PBUH not to. Allah has given/prescribed for us the festives that we should follow and there is no need for us to add to this by following something else. if celebrating Christmas was allowed, it would have been said/stated in the Quraan or Ah'adeeth. if doing these practices were ok then would there be a need for islaam? ISNT ISLAM ENOUGH FOR MUSLIMS?

"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the hereafter and he will be one of the losers" (Aal 'Imraan 3:85)

Secondly Christmas is a pagan festival-it has NOTHING to do with Christianity. It isn't the birthday of Isa/Jesus (as) and many Christians know this (but it is my cousins birthday). Christmas is known as lots of snow, Christmas trees, Santa Claus, Reindeer's, magical things-nothing to do with Christianity. it dosent snow in the middle east, there's no Christmas Trees there, no such thing as Santa Claus, no such thing as flying reindeer's-absolutely nothing to do with isa/jesus (as). so what we are actually engaging in has no basis in any religion and as Muslims are supposed to be religious, then this is a bit hypocritical. Christmas has nothing to do with Allah or the prophets so as muslims it has nothing to do with us.

Even if Christmas WAS the birthday of Isa/Jesus (as), this is not something to be celebrated as, in Islam, Muslims are not supposed to celebrate birthdays. We do not celebrate the Prophet Muhammad’s (pbuh) birthday and this was not done by the Sahabas (Companions) either. Those Muslims who do celebrate birthdays need to check their beliefs and look into why Islam does not allow this.

Muslims are not Christians, Pagans, Jews, Buddhist, hindus, atheist or belonging to any other religion or way of life. Muslims are Muslims and follow Islam. By celebrating christmas you are actually following something else. And this undermines the strength of the ummah. This is one of the reasons why the ummah is weak-we do not adhere/submit to islam and only islam.

The following hadeeths are examples of hows muslims should not imitate the actions of non-muslims:

On the authority of Abdullah ibn Amr ibn Aas who said: “The Messenger of Allah saw me wearing two saffron garments and he said: ‘Indeed these are from the dress of the Kuffaar so do not wear them.’ [Collected by Muslim (1/144), An-Nisaaee (2/298), Al-Haakim (4/190), and Ahmad in his Musnad (2/172, 164, 193, 207, and 211)]

At-Tirmidhi narrated that Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم said: “He is not one of us who imitates other than us. Do not imitate the Jews or the Christians.”

At-Tabarani and Abu Dawud narrated that Ibn Umar and Hudhayfah رضي الله عنه reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم said: “Whoever imitates a people, he is one of them.”

Al-Bayhaqi reported in his Sunan that Anas Bin Maalik رضي الله عنه said: “When the Prophet صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم came to Medina, the people had two holidays from the days of Jahiliyyah.”

He صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم said: “When I came to you, you had two days which you used to celebrate in Jahiliyyah. Allah سبحانه وتعالى has replaced them for you with better days, the days of slaughter (Adhaa) and the day of fitr.”

I hope you have benifited with these emails as much as i have and i would like to say jazakallah khair for reding and interpreting these hadeeths inshallah and also thank you for this suggestion i have really enjoyed this topic so yh jazakallah khair everyone.

so till next week inshallah 

peace be with you

What do you guys make of it?

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

Cute

Noor wrote:
the birth of Prophet Isa (AS) is signified in the Quran. Shaykh ul Islam mentions that MQ celebrate the birth of Prophet Isa (AS) as a Messenger, not God like the Christians do.

there is nothing wrong with celebrating the births of Prophet's (AS).

from the site:
"The whole date thing of ISA (as) birth is a red herring, the real issue with Christmas is this- the Chrisitan belief about Prophet Isa, peace be upon him and what his birth signifies, they believe he is God the Son incarnated as a man so that he may act as an infinite sacrifice that will pay off the debts of sin which we cannot pay through our deeds nor apparantly can God forgive and have Mercy on us without this self-sacrifice. This is what this celebration is about and this is why it is utterly unaccaptable and forbidden for us to celebrate regardless of it being slapped on top and mixed up with the pagan festival of Yuletide to boot. I respect Shaykh Tahir ul Qadri, but he is not masum and he has badly erred here".

Noor wrote:

so what? we have more right to celebrate the birth of Prophet Isa (AS) than the Christians do.

But when the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) saw the Jewish people fastin in Muharram and said we have more right in fasting, he added that we should fast for two days, not just one, to differentiate ourselves from them...

I bought a turkey.

Now I will have to cook it. :/

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I think it is completely wrong. (Just for those that don't celebrate the Prophet SAW's birthday... what would be the need to celebrate Isa AS's birthday?) If it was a practice we should follow, don't you think that the Prothet SAW would have celebrated it too or something (like how he SAW mentioned how we should fast on 2 days of ashura and before/after... in relation to Musa AS.)??

Besides no one's ever mentioned that muslims can celebrate christmas... how come all of a sudden, just becuase one scholar has come out and said you can, everyone's doubting whether it's allowed or not. I think it's an issue that numerous scholars have to agree on for it to be valid. And i doubt that's ever going to happen. (Not like your even celebrating Isa AS's birthday if you celebrate it on the actual day of christmas... so technically if you do celebrate christmas, then your following the festivals of the pagans, which in essence is haram.)

"That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt" - Augustus Waters

m. aqdas wrote:
there is a book that analyses prof. dr. tahir ul qadri's recent statements at

can people here who are in contact with minhaj ul quran please get some feedback on it.

lol
that site is a hardcore brelwi site who openly write/speak against Dr Qadri since time began. So not a credible site regarding this matter

I have passed on to a Minhaj contact for them to deal with.

It's not important to agree on every issue from 1 scholar. By disagreeing with 1 issue it doesn't make teh scholar bad or misguided. Dr Qadri is one of the biggest and best scholars around in the world today; problem today is we are sectarian and if the sect/madhab/aqeeda differs we are quick to demonise the scholar.

I thought Dr Qadri was a Brelwi scholar? :s

Which group does he fall under then?

Neither.

MQI doesn't believe in sects as they cause division.

Shaykh is neither Brelwi or Deobandi, or anything else. They take from and respect all scholars.

Pages