Human Rights Act might be scrapped

Home Secretary Theresa May has backed calls for the Human Rights Act to be scrapped.

In comments that will endear her to many Tories, she said she would "personally" like to see it go because of the problems it has presented the Home Office.

Mrs May told The Sunday Telegraph: "I'd personally like to see the Human Rights Act go because I think we have had some problems with it.

"I see it, here in the Home Office, particularly, the sort of problems we have in being unable to deport people who perhaps are terrorist suspects.

"Obviously, we have seen it with some foreign criminals who are in the UK."

But senior Lib Dems, including Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Energy Secretary Chris Huhne, have pledged the Act will stay.

Mr Clegg promised Lib Dem delegates at his party's conference last month that the Human Rights Act, which enshrines the European Convention on Human Rights in UK law, was "here to stay".

Mr Huhne suggested the issue, if forced, could topple the coalition.

"If Conservative backbenchers persist in wanting to tear up the European Convention on Human Rights, then I can foresee a time when this party would be extremely uncomfortable in coalition," he said.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of human rights organisation Liberty, said: "Modern Conservatives should think again about human rights values that were truly Churchill's legacy.

"Only a pretty 'nasty party' would promote human rights in the Middle East whilst scrapping them at home."

Old news.

But the Tories wanted a bill of rights instead

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Wanting to deport someone because they are a terror suspect is NOT acceptable. If we step back from right wind propaganda and misunderstandings of the HRA, we'll find that it has given states a wide margin of appreciation, meaning that some rights can be derogated from in some situations.
Also, it was because of the HRA that David Blunkett was prevented from detaining people who are merely suspected of any terrorist related offence, not by the police but by MI5 or the Home Secretary, from being held indefinately in Belmarsh prison.
Have a look at how "Mr A" felt when he was detained and separated from his family. Thankfully, in 2004 the House of Lords (at the time) ordered his release.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Did you read the article(s)? The Guardian link doesn't work thoug, if you could sort it out then it would be great.
He wasn't deported because of a cat, it was because he was in a relationship and they had a cat, meaning that before deporting him the government have to consider his right to family life under Article 8.
It does NOT mean he cannot be deported; the Article has a sub paragraph that allows for some derogation.

Have a read if you want. Surely, if such a judgement is a problem then the solution is to appeal? It is definately possible to deport someone whilst considering Article 8 (right to private and family life).
It won't happen though, the party is divided, the coalition would be more divided and it is unlikely that this motion will even make it to Parliament.

Let me know what you think.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

A cat counts as family?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I don't think so, he was living with his partner and they had a cat, that is somewhat like a family.