women & rib

"women have been created from a rib"

i've heard someone say this...quranic explanation?

Answered by Shaykh Gibril F Haddad

Q. According to my knowledge Hawa (eve) was created from a rib of Adam. I always knew this to be the case however an article in a local newspaper in Pakistan, a scholar said that there is no proof of this i.e. no evidence (hadith) exists. Is this true brother that there are no hadith on it and if there is then can you please quote one or two. Your help in this matter would be very appreciated as some of the sisters now believe that eve was not created from Adam's rib.

A. Salam `alaykum:

It is in Sahih al-Bukhari, Arabic-English translation, vol. VII Hadith No. 113 that woman was created from man's rib.

The meaning of this is that Allah has created some of humankind without the means of a father, such as `Isa, some without the means of a mother, such as Hawwa, and some without the means of either, such as Adam, upon our Prophet and upon them blessings and peace. And may Allah be glorified Who is the best of creators.

The general meaning is that the rib is the protection of the heart. I.e. Woman represents the protection of man rather than the reverse, but for such protection to take place then man must protect woman in the first place. This is because if any harm reaches the rib (woman) then the heart (man) is left unprotected.

The Prophet, upon him peace, said in that very same hadith: "Therefore, treat women kindly."

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"naj" wrote:
"women have been created from a rib"

i've heard someone say this...quranic explanation?

nah not in the koran

imo that saying always kinda lowered women...

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

Salaam

The rest of the above mentioned hadith says “If you try to straighten that rib, it will break, and if you leave it as it is, it will remain curved. So treat women kindly”

I think that this implies that a women’s natural disposition in itself implies crookedness (being too emotional at times etc).

So he should let her be….if he tries to mould and forces her into how he thinks she should be (i.e. straightens her)…she will break.

Wasalaam

Jazakallah sis :!: Biggrin

.... :idea: Jeez i don't say that very often :shock:

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

Yep men shud let women be

but too many people try to force women into being to their liking :evil:

theres way to mnay controlling oppressive men out there

[size=7]OK-feminist rant over[/size]

do you really believe what you say lilsis or are you joking?

"seema*" wrote:
do you really believe what you say lilsis or are you joking?

I'm generalising

but I do mean what I say

i think the actual words are "women is like a rib"

i dont think its been mentioned anywhere women was made from crooked rib

In the bible it talks about woman being made from a rib from Adam.

Sort of getting at the idea that a man is not whole without a woman, and visa versa.

I think guys have one less rib too.

Good stuff.

I should tell Annette I want my rib back.

Could that be misconstrued as a marriage proposal?

I think I shall order a baked cod for dinner tonight.

Takeout is way awesome here - there is this great italian restaurant nearby that delivers anything and everything

"naj" wrote:
i think the actual words are "women is like a rib"

i dont think its been mentioned anywhere women was made from crooked rib

are ur ribs straight Naj?

Mine are crooked-so are most people's :roll:

???

"Don Karnage" wrote:

and i believe the statements meant to be taken metaphorically?

"white" wrote:
???

"Don Karnage" wrote:

Depends on what kinda Christian you are talking to.

Woman was made from a mans rib to protect his heart.

To be at his side not below him.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

"Dawud" wrote:

lol sorta like a kevlar suit

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"white" wrote:
???

"Don Karnage" wrote:

wht do you say

i've been told the statements meant to be taken metaphorically and the two statements are just two different ways of saying the same thing

BTW im finding out for someone

The full hadith is as follows The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) “The woman has been created from a rib, and the most curved part of a rib is its upper region. If you try to straighten it you will break it, and if you leave it as it is, it will remain curved. So treat women kindly."

The “rib” which protects our heart is crooked-it is not straight

I’ve always taken then meaning of this hadith literally. But maybe it is metaphorical ..I don’t know.

'Curved' doesn't have to mean 'crooked'. 'Crooked' is negative.

Being curved gives something more definition and a complexity that is otherwise absent.

It offers another dimension, if you will.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"Dawud" wrote:

Indeed, dunno why but reminds me of this guy post 9/11 trying to sell parachutes that could be used at heights of most office blocks.

He asks his assistant to demonstrate how easy it is to get into, she spends 10 minutes unsucsessfully trying to get it on. Was a little funny.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Quote:
Narrated Sayyidina Abu Hurayrah radhiyallahu anh: ALLAH'S Messenger salallahu alayhi wa sallam said: ''Take my advice with regard to women: Act kindly towards women, for they were created from a rib, and the most crooked part of a rib is its top. If you attempt to straighten it; you will break it, and if you leave it alone it will remain crooked; so act kindly towards women.'' (Bukhari and Muslim)

In another narration of Bukhari and Muslim, ALLAH'S Messenger salallahu alayhi wa sallam said: ''A woman is like a rib, if you attempt to straighten it, you will break it; and if you benefit from her, you will do so while crookedness remains in her.''

In another narration of Muslim, ALLAH'S Messenger salallahu alayhi wa sallam said: ''Woman has been created from a rib and will in no way be straightened for you; so if you want to benefit from her, you will benefit from her while crookedness remains in her. If you attempt to straighten her, you will break her, and breaking her is divorcing her.''

[color=green]COMMENTARY:

Whatever is the formation of the words of the Hadeeth, it stresses the importance of kind treatment to wives because woman is not only by nature weaker than man but also less intelligent and has a crooked thinking. On account of his being more intelligent and having greater patience, man should be more forgiving in his dealing with her. The secret of a pleasant family life lies in this advice of the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa sallam with its emphasis on kind treatment to wives. People who adopt an aggressive and cruel attitude towards her under the impression that they will hereby set her right, are victims of wishful thinking and their house becomes a living Hell or is ruined in case of divorce. If one has children, their life is also exposed to great risk.[/color]

The above is ahadeeth have been quoted as compiled in the famous hadeeth kitab of Imam an-Nawawi, Riyad us Saliheen - Bab al Wassiyat bin-Nisaa. Chapter: Recommendations with regard to women.

The[color=green] commentary[/color] has been written by Hafiz Salahuddin Yusuf.

I hope this is useful.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

I didn’t know women were “less intelligent”. Nor was I aware then man have"greater patience" than women.

Well, one learns something new everyday.

I only quoted what is written in the Riyadus Saliheen that I have access to and also the side notes.

They aint my words, so dont get all sarcy on me. Thx.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

I have heard a scholarly interpretation of the above hadith and the scholar also quoted “Riyad us Saliheen”. And he never mentioned anything about women lacking in “intelligence”.

In fact, he pointed out that many people wrongly interpret hadiths and accuse women of lacking in intelligence...backing up his point by using the example of the great scholar Hadrat Aisha (ra) who was obviously more intelligent then the men of her time because she used to teach them.

I too have the notes of that lesson. So they aint my words either. So please don’t assume stuff. Thanks.

No1 assumed anything. U expressed yourself and I detected sarcasm. I replied that I only quoted an alim's commentary. I can accept that my post had a COMMENTARY, there are other commentaries.

This aint a big issue.

salaam.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"white" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
"white" wrote:
???

"Don Karnage" wrote:

wht do you say

i've been told the statements meant to be taken metaphorically and the two statements are just two different ways of saying the same thing

BTW im finding out for someone

For lack of a better word I believe it is "not literal"

"Dawud" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
"Dawud" wrote:

Indeed, dunno why but reminds me of this guy post 9/11 trying to sell parachutes that could be used at heights of most office blocks.

He asks his assistant to demonstrate how easy it is to get into, she spends 10 minutes unsucsessfully trying to get it on. Was a little funny.

lol I remember him.

Miserable failure

Salam

To say that women are part of men's rib is lowering their dignity.

They are not.

Omrow