celebrating xmas?

179 posts / 0 new
Last post

Times Online[/url]"][size=18]Have a little faith in the 'C' word[/size]

[b]I don't know where the idea about offending other faiths by using 'Christmas' came from, but it's mad[/b]

THE CHRISTMAS CARD I sent out as Blackburn’s MP is a proper one. It was designed by Anna Souroullas (Year 3 of Holy Souls RC Primary School), who won a competition that I organised with some Blackburn schools. But it also has a proper message inside. “Best wishes for Christmas and the new year”.

I claim no pride of ownership in this message. After all it’s what one should expect of a Christmas card. But I have just noticed — alas, for the first time — that the card I sent out in my capacity as Foreign Secretary has the anodyne, non-Christmas message of “Season’s Greetings”. And I was horrified to learn from an American friend that in the circles in which she, at least, moves it is considered not the done thing to wish people one does not know well “Merry Christmas”, still less to send out “Christmas” cards saying so.

It’s mad, in my opinion. And, in case you read certain national newspapers who imply that this kind of “politically correct” rubbish emanates from the Government, it doesn’t. Indeed, I’m not sure it comes from anyone in particular. Instead, someone somewhere who is unsure about how to behave in our multiracial, multireligious society which is Britain today thinks, wrongly, that offence might be taken if the “C” word is uttered too much when celebrating the birth of Christ. They then make what they think are “safe” decisions which will cause no one any offence, such as

[b]“Season’s Greetings” or “winter festival”.[/b]

So here, I suggest, are ten points for navigation in our society of many religions and none.

(1) We are still, overwhelmingly, a Christian society. Yes, the number of people who go regularly to church is relatively small, and many fewer than 40 or 50 years ago. But in the last census 72 per cent described themselves as “Christian”. They didn’t have to do so. It wasn’t compulsory to say so.

(2) We have a deep Christian heritage in our society, which underpins many of our institutions — including Parliament, and the law.

(3) Christmas and Easter are the two key Christian festivals.

(4) Taking Christ out of Christmas, and pretending that you can celebrate Christmas without any acknowledgement of the profound religious origin and power of the festival, is simply wrong. We live in a free country. If someone wants to celebrate Saturnalia — the pagan winter festival — that’s fine, but don’t pretend it’s Christmas.

(5) Those of the Muslim faith recognise Christ not as a saviour but certainly as a prophet, just as they recognise Abraham, and most of what followed in the Judaeo-Christian tradition. Muslims respect the Christian religion, and our key festivals; just as in the UK we respect the Muslims’ Eid, and their need for haj or pilgrimage. (The Foreign Office sponsors an official haj delegation led by Lord Patel of Blackburn, to provide consular and medical services in Mecca to 25,000 British pilgrims each year.) I launched this year’s haj delegation on Tuesday. And I wished everyone “Haj Mabroor”, not “Season’s Greetings”.

Diablo Those religions other than Islam also respect our festivals, just as we respect the Hindu Diwali, for example. Why shouldn’t we? I’ve never heard any Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Jew, Buddhist or follower of any other religion deny the Christian basis of Christmas.

(7) There have always been extremists in every religious tradition. We had the Crusades, effectively unprovoked, sustained and brutal assaults, on Islam, and centuries of anti-Semitism. (We also had centuries too of bloodshed between different Christian denominations.) Extremist Hindus (such as those who destroyed the Babri Mosque in Ayodyha in 1992) wish to turn India into a dominant Hindu society. And there are extremists who claim to be followers of Islam, to justify their intolerance and worse.

(8 ) But by and large most religious believers are very tolerant of believers in other religions, and that is especially true in this country. And it shows in people’s action, for example in the number of Muslim parents who have lobbied me over the years to get their children into Catholic and Anglican secondary schools because they believe it’s better for their children to be educated in a more religious environment.

(9) So we don’t have to drop to any lowest common denominator of belief or non-belief. There is space for respect and celebration of all religions in our society.

(10) Happy Christmas.

[url= Online[/url]

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Look how Muslims get our own little point - (5).

What's extremism got to do with it - (7)?

Not a very good article. No doubt Jack Straw didn't write it.

I think its got something to do with how 'extremists' find it offensive to say 'merry xmas'.

5 and 6 should have been combined.

It does not matter that we respect Prophet Isa (as). Even if he was not a Prophet, we would still respect the christian right to xmas etc...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

[b][size=24][color=red]Merry Christmas Everyone[/color][/size][/b]

Back in BLACK

Salam

"Seraph" wrote:
[b][size=24][color=red]Merry Christmas Everyone[/color][/size][/b]

Merry Christmas.

Omrow

Question
Assalamualaikum i would like to know whether there is a ruling regarding wishing Christians well over christmas and Hindus well over diwali? i have read some where that this is forbidden as you are confirming their faith. So can we wish them well..or is it haraam?

Answer
[b]It is not permissible to wish non-Muslims during their festivals.[/b]

The non-Muslims display acts of Kufr during their festivals. To wish them in
their festivals is a sign of complacency to Kufr.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
FATWA DEPT.

taken from askimam.org

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

We should only say anything on the lines to christians. It is their festival.

According to Dr. jamal Badawi it is best to say something non-religious, such as happy holidays, but at the same time "Social courtesies do not imply acceptance of the Person’s belief."

(If someone says merry christmas to me, I reply and you too. Its a bit of a cop-out)

anyway there is an interesting dialogue on this at [url=

Disclaimer: We do use some news articles from IslamOnline on the website, But I have no idea if/who they are affiliated with. Pretty professional, so the money s coming from somewhere.

"Admin" wrote:
Disclaimer: We do use some news articles from IslamOnline on the website, But I have no idea if/who they are affiliated with. Pretty professional, so the money s coming from somewhere.

Muslim Brotherhood.

Two more reasons for Muslims not to celebrate Christmas:

- 200,000 trees are felled to supply 1.7bn Christmas cards sent in the UK

- 40,000 trees are used to make 8,000 tonnes of wrapping paper used for presents

Muslims dont celebrate xmas, but to say Merry xmas to non Muslims does not mean we celebrate it, beleive in it, are pagan followers etc..
its being tolerant, respectful of other faiths...

non muslims say happy eid, diwali etc doesnt mean they follow it, celebrate it...its a sign of respect for people of other faiths...

the problem with Muslims today is that they like to follow a black and white, modern day fatwa version of Islam.

islam is simple...but we, with our online fatwas, make it complicated.

one thing i dont understand is why do muslims say merry xmas to other Muslims? thats a strange one...

Whats the big deal with saying Merry Christmas to people? :?:

Salam

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
Muslims dont celebrate xmas...

Boss, I hate to correct you, but that is not true.

I know that many muslims don't celebrate Christmas; however, there are muslims that do celebrate Christmas.

Anyway, today I woke up to a beautifully sunny Christmas Day.

I went up to my mum and said "Eid Mubarak on the birth of Esa Alaisalam."

She replied "Khair Mubarak."

Then I said the same to everyone else.

I, like many other muslims, do celebrate Christmas.

Jesus Christ was a Mighty Messenger of God. And I love him.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Omrow

Omrow, you do not celebrate it as a christian would.

Well its over now...

But we can (IMO) say merry christmas to christians, as we are saying 'eenjoy your christmas'.

But a muslim saying it to another muslim is wrong, as it suggests that atleast one of the two is christian.

So all christians have a very merry christmas.

Tp those who celebrate the birth of Prophet Isa (as), Mawlid Mubarak.

And everyone, enjoy the holidays.

Salam

"Admin" wrote:
all christians have a very merry christmas.

Tp those who celebrate the birth of Prophet Isa (as), Mawlid Mubarak.

And everyone, enjoy the holidays.

Whoa.

That was so wonderful coming for an official.

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
Heyyyyy.

exactly Biggrin

Back in BLACK

"Omrow" wrote:
Heyyyyy.

hey! thats the first time u didnt start and end your post with "Salaam" and "Omrow" respectively. well done. Biggrin

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Omrow" wrote:
Why? Dont you like greetings?

i thought you'd say that. ofcourse its good to start with salaam - when u enter the room/meet people. but would u say it in the middle of the conversation, before making a point?

i dunno, there's a monotony about your posts with their permanent beginning and end...

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

lol Omrows moving with the times now.

With the passing of time it is necessary to learn new things, and pick up new habbits... preferably good habbits.

Back in BLACK

you are supposed to say salaam to fellow muslims even if whilst walking together, a tree separates you for a second!

come on ppl. Its a good thing he says salaam.

And we do not know what he is doing while posting here.

I am sure he must be busy, and at times pop into some other place, come back within a few mins,and say salaam before posting!

You never know.

Omrow if you wanna get eith the times, start and end with 'May the force be with you'.

Salam

I write greetings not for old timers, but for new arrivals who may happen to click on read, and, never to return again.

Its nice to leave a stranger with good impressions.

If you guys wish, I will stop doing it.

I could simply place the Islamic greeting permanently in my signature space blow. That would save me typing it every time, and therefore, my fingers could find other things to do ?

Omrow

"Omrow" wrote:
I write greetings not for old timers, but for new arrivals who may happen to click on read, and, never to return again.

Its nice to leave a stranger with good impressions.

If you guys wish, I will stop doing it.

I could simply place the Islamic greeting permanently in my signature space blow. That would save me typing it every time, and therefore, my fingers could find other things to do ?

admin made a good point - there's nothing wrong with u starting with salaam, i'm just being pernickety for no reason, sorry! :oops:

but yeh, u might as well put "Salaam... Omrow" as a footnote to save u typing it every time... Smile

Omrow, u celebrate christmas cuz u beleive its the birthday of Jesus, but, some orthodox christians beleive Isa A.S was born in mid-jan, and many times i have heard muslims lectuers say Isa A.S were actually born in summer, were they get this from i duno, mayb if sum1 knows they can clarify.

to me this is just a holiday, couple weeks of uni, all fine and dandy. But my snowman says Snow Mubarak. And i Say Wednesday Mubarak.

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

Salam

Actually, if we really wanted to do it properly, then we would have to
celebrate it according to the lunar calendar. This would make the
holy festival regress 11 days every year.

However, I shall do no such thing. I do not wish to be awkward in this matter.

Therefore, in a time honoured tradition, I shall continue to
make merry, along with the rest of my wonderful
fellow Britons, on the 25th of December.

Omrow

Pages