Sudan Referendum (and possible civil war)

Tomorrow, Jamuary 9 2011 is the date for a referendum in Sudan where the Christian South may secede to create a separate country from the Muslim/Arab north.

If it does secede, there could be war as in the middle there are resource rich over which the newly divided country will fight.

If the south does not secede, then there could be war as the southerners will feel their rights are being trampled over by the north and will also feel threatened by some bedouin like people who are moving south to escape the expansion of the sahara desert to the north.

Something to keep on top of.

Tags: 

I'd like to learn more abotu Sudan's history, I mean I know the south is in immense poverty. & the north isn't that bad but they've bin fighting for a while now, but why?

Southern Sudan votes on independence

Huge numbers of people are voting in Southern Sudan in a landmark referendum on independence from the north.

The week-long vote is widely expected to result in Africa's largest country being split in two.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

The first results are in - and the south secedes.

I think the borders still need to be drawn up/finalised in many places before the official separation in the summer.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.