Euthanasia & Life Support Machines

So we had an RE session on friday & this was what we were discussing.

Euthanasia is a form of suicide so its haraam? yes?

Life Support Machines,. without which many people would probs be dead, is prolonging somones life using them right islamically? because we beleive that Allah gives & takes life when he wants, so using this machine is that right or wrong? right in the sense that we were given the mind to think & knowledge ect so if we can make this machine then that is through the ability that Allah gave us, & if he wanted to take us then he could do that whilst bieng on the support machine. Or wrong in the fact that we're prolonging a life that should be over?I sound so cold hearted but i', not beleive me. I think i just figured that out for myself,. but well what are the rulings?

When a doctor switches off a life support machine are they commiting a sin eventhough they predict that there is no way of the person ever living without it?

just yeah..talk about it.. please.

Tags: 

It gets moer complicated wheLife support machines/medicines are allowed, as there is a hadith about every disease having a cure etc... the arguments against medication are normally not used by Muslims AFAIK, but groups such as the Jehovah's witnesses who somehow suggest that it is going against God's will. The ahadith tell us other wise.

There is nothing with prolonging life except the question if the person is being made to suffer unintentionally. If a person is in a vegetative state and the machines only continue the mechanical functioning of the body with no possibility of the person surviving etc, then it may just be torture to use the things.

But if it is temporary in order to allow the person to heal and recover, I see no issue.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
There is nothing with prolonging life except the question if the person is being made to suffer unintentionally. If a person is in a vegetative state and the machines only continue the mechanical functioning of the body with no possibility of the person surviving etc, then it may just be torture to use the things.
But if it is temporary in order to allow the person to heal and recover, I see no issue.

i guess i agree with that

What do you mean by AFAIK?

AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

LOL makes sense that does , thanks

im not exactly sure on this myself, but I would have thought that life support machines could not be turned off under any conditions since its a situation of life and death and only Allah can rule on cases like that....

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

except that the life support machine makes a difference there and turning it off will invariably kill the person...