Pakistan Floods- Emergency Help Required!

Pakistan Floods

Due to the monsoon flooding affecting North-West Pakistan, over 1,000 people are reported to have died with that number likely to rise as more information becomes available. At least a million people are believed to have been affected in the worst hit areas. In the aftermath of the floods there is a serious risk to survivors from potentially deadly diseases including diarrhoea, which will spread as a result of contaminated surface and drinking water.

Please donate as much as you possibly can, to help your fellow muslims in their hour of need.

You can donate online through one of the sites below:

Pakistan is in need of so much help....but first it's own goverment must make some effort to help the public, be it to rebuild after natural disasters or suicide attacks....simple fact is the whole system is in need of change

but it's these charities that are mashallah always there to help the people of Pakistan and indeed all around the world, may they inshallah be rewarded for their efforts.

You cannot replace the whole system, fix every rod, give everyoje a good quality of life all at once.

The government is doing a lot, but that does not mean it can complete things by yesterday.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Live Appeal for Flood in Pakistan at TV Channel Sky 792 on 6th Aug (8:00 - 12:00 PM UK Time)

Some facts:

Area affected by flooding according to : 132,000 sq km
Total area of england according to : 130,000 sq km

I would assume that that affected area is now much greater as the flood had not reached the shoreline yet, so it has quite a way to go.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I think the problem ther eis an issue of machinery that can get past the demolished bridges etc.

Saying that, there are also floods in china and things there mayt not be as bad, but they also look far more organised.

Yes, but this event could have been unprecedented - a lot of water, more than they were designed for.

Like one of the places I read of near the start of this, the previous record for rainfall in the entire month of July was somehting like 500mm a long long time ago. This time they got more than 300mm in a single day.

I do wonder if some of this water will be stored upstream to be made use of later and if any rains on the glaciers will replenish them more than before...

Ocean wrote:
This is what happens in a fertile land... Rivers overflow, "floods" happen, people panic and run for their lives, mud dissolves in water and so do mud homes. They should have seen it coming...

Fool

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I think the scale makes a huge difference. You can prepare for the ordinary or even the slightly extraordinary events, but such a large flood, its sort of impossible, especially if the needed infrastructure is also washed away.

There will be problems for months when eg at the next harvest there will be less food produces because the old lot has been washed away.

PIA are apparently taking boxes of foods and other items.

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCNomdB6V0U]

That is a great idea!

You, are you glad that I'm back to torment you? It's been a while!

Put the correct stuff in... look at the PIA website.

Does anyone know which Masjid is collecting for the PIA appeal? Apparently there is one in Oldham and it was mentioned on Mashal Radio.

YouShutup wrote:
Does anyone know which Masjid is collecting for the PIA appeal? Apparently there is one in Oldham and it was mention on Mashal Radio.

jamia shamsia abbeyhill road
i will be mentioning it on lets talk show tonight

spoke to a councillor yesterday and we are getting all mosques to as their attendees to leave boxes at thei rmosque and we will try to collect them and take to abbeyhills mosque, where they will be picked up by asian sound radio who will take to pia manch airport. RED CROSS will BE DISTRIBUTING TEH BOXES IN PAKISTAN...my only issue

Thanks Saj.

I was thinking about nutritionally valuable foods and friend suggested Rice Pudding.

I thought it was a fantastic idea (except the bit about opening the can- but anyhow I am sure people can overcome that using a knife or rock). They cost 25p a can from Tesco and probably cheaper at Asda. So spend a 5 and buy them and box them. Drop them off at the Masjid or Airport.

Come on guys this is sure set way that the Government won't take anything away from the public. Lets send food instead of more money.

PS Respect to PIA for doing this. I won't fly anyone else (I don't work for them).

Anyone got any other food ideas?

Plus, people from across the country can give to their local airports if PIA fly from there. This is not exclusive to Manchester.

WHAT ABOUT nutritional foods such as:

rice,lentils,tinned halaal foods,tinned fruit,tinned vegetables,pitta,naan bread packet chapattis,ambrosia rice,baby food,tea,sugar,biscuits,chocolate water purifying tablets,tin opener.

CHECK EXPIRY DATES

just follow what is listed on that page. and as they said, they don't want foods that they have to cook yet - they want foods that are eatable without cooking.

You wrote:
just follow what is listed on that page. and as they said, they don't want foods that they have to cook yet - they want foods that are eatable without cooking.

You is correct.

I'll be sending a can opener with the cans I send (I have a few and you can buy them for like under a pound).

Rice pudding can be ate cold.... like beans.

I thought about nuts, but they are just protein. Need some balanced foods.

You wrote:

that list just has chocs, biscuits n dates to eat- not much is it

just rang asian sound radio and they adviced to pack:

tinned food
rice
chocolates
biscuits
dried fruit
tea
sugar
almonds
lentils
baby food
paracetomals
plasters
bandages
pitta/naan bread

size of box cant be bigger than:
20 inches length
15 inches width
12 inches height

a pia plane went yesterday to drop a load
next one in a few days...

DRIED FRUIT - DRIED APRICOTS, DATES, RAISONS

ENERGY TABLETS - LUCOZADE, DEXTRO ENERGY (they are halal ones)

BRUNCH BARS/ CEREAL BARS

TUC BISCUITS/ RITZ BISCUITS

CHEESE STRING (ok that was random)

NUTS (good for energy boost)

PEOPLE IF YOU GETIN CRISP/ BARS/ BISCUITS -- MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A SUITABLE FOR VERGETARIAN SIGN ON.

REMINDER: do not send anything which is not food which they may mistake it for being food and eat it, many are uneducated (according to the vid) !

TINNED/CANNED FOOD:

rice pudding,
fruit,
beans,
potatoes,
tuna fish,
tomatoe/veg soup,
condensed/evaporated/powdered milk,

ODD:

Plastic Spoons, so they can eat out of the tins

Tissue,
Baby wipes,
Torch,
Safety Pins,
Elastic Bans,
Whistle,
Plastic Bags,

Whistle?

Good suggestions everyone keep them coming!

Ocean wrote:
This is what happens in a fertile land... Rivers overflow, "floods" happen, people panic and run for their lives, mud dissolves in water and so do mud homes. They should have seen it coming...

Compassion anyway. Millions affected.
  • It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

YouShutup wrote:
Whistle?

I got the idea off the net typed in survival kit, then agen you would need a whistle before hand to call for help. The boxes are going to those people already identified that need help. mayb leave the whistle then.

YouShutup wrote:

Good suggestions everyone keep them coming!

Thanks for the encouragment.

YouShutup wrote:

Plus, people from across the country can give to their local airports if PIA fly from there. This is not exclusive to Manchester.

How did you find out about this? How can i find out more info - like how its all working in bham; do we just go to the airport and find out over there what to do with the stuff? :S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
YouShutup wrote:

How did you find out about this? How can i find out more info - like how its all working in bham; do we just go to the airport and find out over there what to do with the stuff? :S

Sorry for not giving more info. I phoned PIA and got told to call Toronto??!!! Then did some digging and found this.

Anyhow here are all the Airports that are taking part:

Pages