Music hmm

Salaam interesting topic i came across a brother today who totally rejected any instruments being played other than the Duff(is that how you spell it?) and seemed a quite down to earth guy it got me thinking is music haraam? are the likes of sami yusuf committing sin? what are views without condemning any muslims to hell please! just evidences and opinions! Jazakallah!

The brother wasn't wrong, that is one of the opinions.

Since this topic is just right here, thank you Funzo:

A number of schools are allowing Muslim parents to pull their children out of classes, even though the subject is a formal part of the national curriculum.

It seems this article alludes to three reasons to skip music of which the first two cannot really be debated:
1. Christmas carols and the like
2. Ramadan
3. All music is haram

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

That article has a title of "Muslim pupils 'withdrawn from music lessons'" and in the text it has the following information: In one London primary school, 20 pupils were removed from rehearsals for a Christmas musical and one five-year-old girl has been permanently withdrawn from all classes.

It seems to be kind of jumping the gun.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

im faced with a dilemma do i listen to music or not!

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

If you think its not allowed then the only way to go is to not listen to it.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

MuslimBro wrote:
The brother wasn't wrong, that is one of the opinions.

Personally I think he is wrong as music is permitted (obliged/recommended/prohibited given contexts!) - but he may be right...