Islamic Courses At Uni

I was just thinking, and will start researching, on how many different types of Islamic courses are there at unis?

Just thought u guys could might be doing a course or something and could help by telling me the sort of course u can be taught and how do u know if you're being taught the "right" stuff. Like what do they use to teach the info, will be taught according to sects etc?

And any recommendations - uni/course?
or any other info.
thanks.

Salaam

During my own research for the same thing I found:

* SOAS ()
[This one gives these options of Islamic Studies, check them out for yourself to see if they suit what you want to do -
■Islamic and Middle Eastern Law
■Islamic Studies]

* ICAS ()
[Note: this one IS a university and also that it states on their website: 'it has also established an academic journal centering on Shi‘a thought'. Although if I were you I would enquire more via E-mail]

Not at University Level (I don't think):

* Tayyibun Institute UK ()

* Ebrahim College ()

I've provided the contact E-mail address so you can send them a message to help you further.

Hope this helps InshaAllah!

Oh and by the way these are in London (just in case you aren't in London or not looking to study in London)

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

Hey thanks for the info Smile I'm gonna look into SOAS, although I saw their stall thing but avoided it as from the name it sounded their courses would be based on...oriental and african studies (only?) Seemed silly going upto them :/ :oops:

I was just looking at Leeds and they do two types of Islamic studies - one's with arabic too. I'm just wondering what it'd be like, if I would get proper, useful Islamic knowledge out of it etc etc and whether it's worth it. Annoying that the next open day is in October!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Yeah i just spoke to someone few days back, who's doing law at SOAS...he gets to do shariah law an an optional module!! wish my uni had that option...may look into their law courses after my llb inshAllah.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
Hey thanks for the info Smile I'm gonna look into SOAS, although I saw their stall thing but avoided it as from the name it sounded their courses would be based on...oriental and african studies (only?) Seemed silly going upto them :/ :oops:

I was just looking at Leeds and they do two types of Islamic studies - one's with arabic too. I'm just wondering what it'd be like, if I would get proper, useful Islamic knowledge out of it etc etc and whether it's worth it. Annoying that the next open day is in October!

orient = eastern.

islam = eastern (traditionally, anyway. in comparison to christianity)

SOAS = excellent uni

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Is that the uni where many experts in the foriegn office come from?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Is that the uni where many experts in the foriegn office come from?

i dunno.

all i know is they've had good events in the past.

it was a few years ago so theres a possibility its not so good any more, but i kinda doubt it.

i visited SOAS. i have a soas pen and a soas bag and somewhere a soas prospectus!

soas seems amazing. the dream degree= joint japanese and arabic language *dream mode*

i didnt know they did islamic studies.

I HAAAAAAAAATE UUUNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:
i visited SOAS. i have a soas pen and a soas bag and somewhere a soas prospectus!

soas seems amazing. the dream degree= joint japanese and arabic language *dream mode*

i didnt know they did islamic studies.

I HAAAAAAAAATE UUUNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

well you'd be good at calligraphy and writing in all different directions after that.

i got a few friends learning japanese and it sounds HARD.

uh-huh. thats not something you do as a "first" degree.. more somethign you (or should i say I) would do as a hobby thing... (oh im so posh and smart, i do DEGREES as my hobby..what the frick)

Lilly wrote:
uh-huh. thats not something you do as a "first" degree.. more somethign you (or should i say I) would do as a hobby thing... (oh im so posh and smart, i do DEGREES as my hobby..what the frick)

You mean just to learn? I would love to be able to do that, just can't afford it Sad (I was going to say it's not posh but I guess it can be seen as posh if you = it to rich/well off...?)

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

just seems posh. i mean. people as hobby do gardening or cooking, but others sit at the computer studying for a degree.

and i feel the same TPofS.