"Halloween" producer Moustapha Akkad dies in Jorda

Dunno how many horror movie fans we have here, but thought some of you might be interested in this snippet of news about one of the victims of the recent Jordan bomb blasts...

Taken from.... [url=

LOS ANGELES - Moustapha Akkad, the Syrian-born producer of the "Halloween" horror films, died Friday from wounds sustained in the triple hotel bombings, a hospital official said.

The 75-year-old Los Angeles resident died at 7:30 a.m. in a Jordanian hospital where he was being treated, according to surgeon Dr. Yousef Qisous.

"He had bleeding in the lungs, his ribs were fractured and he died of his wounds and a severe heart attack this morning," Qisous told The Associated Press.

Akkad's daughter, Rima Akkad Monla, 34, also died in one of Wednesday's three explosions, her mother Patricia Akkad, said Thursday.

A woman who answered the telephone at Moustapha Akkad's home early Friday said she was too upset to talk.

A telephone message left at Patricia Akkad's Los Angeles area home was not immediately returned. She left for Lebanon late Thursday.

Three suicide bombers hit the Grand Hyatt, Radisson SAS and Days Inn hotels in the Jordanian capital, Amman, Wednesday night and killed at least 59 people, including the three suicide bombers.

Officials suspect Iraqi involvement in the attacks, which were claimed by al-Qaida's Iraq branch.

Moustapha Akkad, best known for producing all eight films in the "Halloween" franchise, also produced and directed "The Message" (1977) and "Lion of the Desert" (1981). Both latter films starred Anthony Quinn.

"The Message," a movie about the prophet Mohammed, was declared sacrilegious by a group of black American Muslims, who took hostages in three Washington, D.C. locations when the movie opened in March 1977, demanding that it not be shown in the U.S.

Akkad said he was baffled by the reaction to the movie, which he said cost $17 million to make.

"I made the film to bring the story of Islam, the story of 700 million of people, to the West," Akkad told The Associated Press in 1977.

Akkad said he turned to the horror genre because it was hard to raise money for religious-themed movies, according to a 1998 New York Times report.

Akkad's daughter, Rima, grew up in Los Angeles an avid polo player who graduated from the University of Southern California in 1995 with a degree in international relations.

She pursued a master's degree in Middle East studies at the American University in Beirut, where she met her husband Ziad Monla, 35.

Her husband's family owns the Monla Hospital in Tripoli, Lebanon. The couple, married for six years, has two sons, ages 2 and 4.

"Rima is a totally American girl," Patricia Akkad, 64, said Thursday in a phone interview from her ex-husband's home in Los Angeles. "Here's an American who was over there and innocently killed for no reason."

She said her daughter loved living in Beirut.

"We all know the problems in the Middle East, and you never think it's going to touch you," she said.

Funeral services were scheduled for Friday in Tripoli.

"She was the light of everybody's life," Patricia Akkad said. "She put everybody else first."

_ Associated Press Writers Shafika Mattar in Amman, Jordan and Christina Almeida in Los Angeles contributed to this story.

A sad day for horror movie fans!

Does this mean we are finally rid of Jason?

In similar news... themaker of 'The Message' was killed in that bomb in jordan.

Not sure if that has been mentioned here...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
In similar news... themaker of 'The Message' was killed in that bomb in jordan.

Not sure if that has been mentioned here...

they are the same person

oops. Just read the firt post....

I should try reading the full thing before replying....

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Constantine" wrote:

No, Jason was in Friday the 13th (the guy with the hockey mask). Halloween was "Michael Myers" (the guy with the white halloween mask).

er isn't this the one where there was a husband and wife suicide team, Its strangely more sick cos of that (till death do us part eh?)

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

"Jack Dante" wrote:
"Constantine" wrote:

No, Jason was in Friday the 13th (the guy with the hockey mask). Halloween was "Michael Myers" (the guy with the white halloween mask).

oh... right...

can't keep my teen slasher movies straight.

Well good riddance to Mike Myers - I hated those movies, they weren't scary, they always found some disgusting bit of nudity to through in and there was far too much mindless gore, it appealed to the lowest in people.

I keep meaning to see the Message though.

"Constantine" wrote:

Well good riddance to Mike Myers - I hated those movies, they weren't scary, they always found some disgusting bit of nudity to through in and there was far too much mindless gore, it appealed to the lowest in people.

You godless heathen!!!!

OK, the sequel's weren't up to much but the original "Halloween" was the greatest horror movie EVER!

Highly doubtful we've seen the last of the Halloween franchise, the films have made too much money. Dimension films who are the current rights holders are already working on part 9, as long as they make money they'll keep making them, much like the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street films...

"Jack Dante" wrote:
"Constantine" wrote:

You godless heathen!!!!

OK, the sequel's weren't up to much but the original "Halloween" was the greatest horror movie EVER!

Highly doubtful we've seen the last of the Halloween franchise, the films have made too much money. Dimension films who are the current rights holders are already working on part 9, as long as they make money they'll keep making them, much like the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street films...

Ahhh they are all trash!

Actually I don't think i've seen the original, can't keep them all sorted out.

Once he went into outer space and fought Freddy I completely lost my patience.

And the Omen is waaaaaay better - thats the best horror movie EVER!

erm...

can we take all this discussion to another topic please.

This topic is an obituary...

"Constantine" wrote:

same here!

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

watch it

gooood film

if ur a beginner Smile

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

by that i mean, if you dont know much about the life of the Beloved Prophet Muhammed Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him)

i watched that before i knew much, so i found it more interesting

its stilll interesting definitely

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

lol well i'd be interested to learn a little more about your "Belobed" Prophet.

I dunno much about the man's life actually - kinda surprising since it's so important to Islam and yall are talking about him all the time.

Kinda bits and pieces I can't put together.

Yes I am too lazy to read anything on the subject - and everything I come across is like "well Muhammad was chilling one day AND THEN THE QURAN"

So everything I read is always coming from the position of "how does this relate to him bringing some more of the Qur'an to the muslims"

Not much about the man himself.

...I'm sure he had hobbies outside of prophet-stuff

Dunno many prophets though so I could be wrong

watch the movie dave, u can learn a lot and its a good film too Smile

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
watch the movie dave, u can learn a lot and its a good film too Smile

It has to be good.

I get the feeling its like the Passion of the Christ ~ you have like a billion people looking over your shoulder for just one tiny mistake to pounce on.

And seeing as nobody has complained about the message so far it's gotta be pretty well done

it was created for eductaional purposes, some of the actors, i think most, arent even muslim

but IMO they did a great job

i dunno, admin dont agree....but thats him bieng him aint it?

its better than all the films ive seen lately at the cinema Lol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
it was created for eductaional purposes, some of the actors, i think most, arent even muslim

but IMO they did a great job

i dunno, admin dont agree....but thats him bieng him aint it?

its better than all the films ive seen lately at the cinema Lol

lol that's kinda weird.... although my Prof for Islam is an Arab Christian minister from Syria so that's not terribly shocking.

The Message is not that bad.

But neither is it the masterpiece it is meant to be.

It is intersting. I have not seen it in a long time though... So I may be looking back through rose tinted specs.