How common is cosmetic surgery amongst Muslims?

i know 3 asian girls who have had a nose job.

their noses were pretty big and pointy but most asians tend to have horrible noses.

one got it done free from the NHS. if it's that big you can say you are getting bullied for it and they stick you on a list.

other two went to pak to get it done.

apart from these 3, i haven't heard of any. i don't think its very common. asians don't bother with features, being fair is what matters. fair skin = pretty.

would getting your teeth filled come under the same category?

Won't the noses over time turn into michael jackson's style freak shows? Or is it less complicated than that where they will keep up with the natural aging of the people?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

jacko kept on getting work done.

your features don't change when you get old, you just get saggy skin. bone structure stays the same.

some noses take years to heal after the operation. the nose stays swollen for like 2 years...

ew.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Noor: features aren't important to asians? Really?

being fair is more important.

(yes i'm generalising)

LOL at noors last comment

i have a friend who is pakistani but looks white and she hates it lol

i dont know anyone who has had cosmetic surgery done, but i know a few who want to have it..

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

Noor wrote:
being fair is more important.

(yes i'm generalising)

snobs

i dont know if asians have big noses. maybe certain ethnic groups known for it more. but i agree with noor with asians specially indopaks being fair skinned matters more than features. i've seen countless girls elders have waxed lyrical about. i go see them and they are ordinary to say the least. when you question elders further i thght you said she was drop dead gorgeous. they'll answer yeah shes beautiful look how fair she is.

im pretty sure any form of plastic surgery after few years needs a touch up. so unless you have the money to pay for that, not wise.

if its done because of some sort of defect that is really leading to bullying then im sure it is permissible in islam.

btw don't nose and ears continue growing til we die? if true if person has big ears and nose from young age, when they get older they will be a lot bigger in size.

but who cares. i think apart from birth defects the rest is about mind over matter. no one is perfect. i think its all about confidence, loving your self and being greatful for what Allah has given us. That i suppose comes with age, and experience. but keeping the wrong sort of friends or having family that constantly remind you of physical flaws does not help.

i dont know anyone who's had plastic surgery.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Hajjar wrote:
btw don't nose and ears continue growing til we die? if true if person has big ears and nose from young age, when they get older they will be a lot bigger in size.

Not necessarily - they could grow at a lower pace than the rest of the body or something.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

But big noses are more common!

asians
afircans
middle easterners

Iran is the nose job capital of the world!

and yeah desis have a thing about fair features
but to be honest
u cant please desi ppl
ur either too fair or too dark
too fat or too thin
too short or too tall

theres no happy medium

Amongst Muslims***

Sorry, that was bugging me.

I don't know that it's that big a deal

Make-up and fake tan change appearance too so why are they not all equally emphasised?

And so what if Asian people like fair skin? people are entitled to preferences.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

English teacher!

(did you mean In Vs Amongst?)

Agreed.

Big noses probably may also be desireable to some people.

You wrote:
English teacher!

(did you mean In Vs Amongst?)

Agreed.

Big noses probably may also be desireable to some people.

Yep, Cosmetic surgery in Muslims sounds really weird, every time i come on the forum and see it it bugs me xD

yeah exactly, eye of the beholder and all that.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

1R4M wrote:
But big noses are more common!

asians
afircans
middle easterners

Iran is the nose job capital of the world!

and yeah desis have a thing about fair features
but to be honest
u cant please desi ppl
ur either too fair or too dark
too fat or too thin
too short or too tall

theres no happy medium

Obviously all Asian people aren't the same.
And it doesn't make sense for you to say that they 'have a thing about fair features' and then that nothing pleases them. Obviously fair features would have to please them.