Would you marry someone with AIDS?

Just a topic that came up oin Tribune yesterday that could do with a wider discussion/audience.

Would you marry someone with AIDS?

Would it make any difference if the person was born with it?

Just to kick things off, in the discussion I had replied "no, I wouldn't".

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

for me it would make a difference if they were born with it

obviously im going to ask why wouldnt you?

and would i? hmm...i think i would..but i need to think about it more and im talking with no experience whatsoever.

and you were talking about a cure..but HIV is a virus...its like trying to find a cure to colds! there isnt any because the virus always changes an adapts...right? you can only take medecine to lessen the symptoms

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Once you have a cold it does not mean you will have one for the rest of your life.

HIV is a virus that people say is tough to fight. But eventually it will be combatted and defeated - a cure will be found. This will not mean that the virus would not be able to adapt or to infect people, but that infected people will maybe have a cure to use.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Serious question.

Although, not always best to give a decided opinion/answer when you haven't been in the position or whatever else.

Life will be lots different and a lot more work if you are willing to live and spend time with someone with AIDs. The idea that their lifespan is short is something to keep in mind although, you don't really know about the lifespan of anyones tbh since no-one knows when they are going to die.

if they were born with it then yes.
if they got it from elswhere,the probably not.

What does HIV do to the body and becomes AIDS?? how does it work?
I now understand what you mean.. (as ive caught a cold LOL)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

It destroys the immune system so that the body cannot fight off other illnesses.

if you really loved them, and they were the person to lead you more towards your deen and islam, then there wouldnt be a reason for me not to.

id obviously work out the whole biology behind it though, whether it was recessive or dominant etc etc..

i guess you should put yourself in that persons shoes and think, imagine if you had it.. and you really absolutely loved someone and wanted to get married to them, and due to no fault of your own you had this condition, and they said no and rejected you coz of it.. how would you feel.. :S

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

Here is the thing - if you are not going out with the person before hand, which I assume you are not, what incentive will you have to overlook such things?

Yes the whole "but I love the person" is a powerful moptive but if you expect that to arrvie after the marriage and not before...

(so yes, I am saying that when people say they can't help who fall in love with, they are generally wrong - they can to an extent control who they don't.)

I agree with what your saying

so hows about.. you get a proposal to get married to someone with AIDS.. would you reject it purely because of their illness? i understand why you would, but would you even consider another possibility?

coz if thats the case, no1 with AIDS would get married ryt..

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

thought we had to have a baby or something.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

?

(There are drugs out there to stop/limit the spread of Aids I think and to also not pass it on to unborn children.)

thought it was islamic duty to have a kid

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Its more complicated than that - you are not supposed to not have kids if the only reason for not having them is financial - you are to trust in Allah (swt) to provide for them.

and I think there are ahadith about the virtues of having kids etc, but I do not think they come anywhere near an order or anything, but a preference.

I haven't really thought about this question, but I reckon it would probably be no.