Are politicians leaders or advocates?

Yesterday I decided to put up an announcement for The Revival Magazine issue 15 onto Ummah Forums and came across a topic on women leaders.

Putting aside the history, such as hadhrat Aaisha siddeeqa (ra) playing many leading roles through her life, I have another question - are politicians leaders or advocates? Surely only the ojes in cabinet are leaders in anysort of way?

An elected politician does not rule his/her constituents, but merely represent them.

Leadership through advocacy for one's honest views instead of populist tightrope walking would be a great thing. Today Brown might have said, "Well, I shouldn't have been quite so painfully courteous to that lady but let's be honest, she obsesses over immigration and crime, and people who are like that invariably turn out to be bigots. I must apologise for misleading the lady before the media broadcast what I really thought of her." Or maybe, "Clearly I insulted the good lady right after being pleasant with her. She is no bigot, it was really wrong of me and I won't go around slagging off the electorate in future. Maybe she won't forgive me but I hope the public at large believes me when I say I am embarrassed by my behaviour today." The former represents honesty and the latter diplomatic contrition, both admirable traits he doesn't have, as are any number of social skills. Instead, having included among his remarks a muttered cuss at Sue, he complained that the media hadn't been kind by broadcasting the asides and apologised "if" he had upset anyone. He is a really unpleasant type of windbag but so ridiculous he might just garner a sympathy vote or two. The current Prime Minister is not a leader or an advocate albeit he is certainly a politician.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

I didn't mean "leader we can be proud of" but leader - decision maker in the classical sense where you had kings, governors, sultans, emirs, caliphs, ceasars etc.

While in such a sense the PM even may not be a leader, the cabinet to make decisions. so does the parliament, but that does not to me seem to be the same as leadership...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.