Following the one Shaykh?

I always found this a interesting subject and as there a discussion going on about it, it would be good to get some opinion on this.

I personally don't see the point of following one shaykh, maybe that say alot about me as a indivdual. But I think that it good to get alot of opinion on a certain subject before you make a decision. I never go on my own whims but i look to who IMO provides the strongest evidence. I also think that following one shaykh [b]could [/b] make someone rigid when they look at other groups and individual. Am i wrong?

What are the benefits and negative in following the one scholar?

Does it say anywhere in the Quran and Hadith we should have only one teacher?

What is exactly wrong with not pledging alliegance to one shaykh

Anyway is there anything wrong with my statement, should we all follow only one shaykh or take a wide range of opinions.

Same here.

Scholars are people. They can make mistakes. They will look at things from diferent angles.

They can be wrong. Just like anybody else.

So look at what they say, and why they say it. Then make your own mind.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

one scholar or a group of schoalrs however, may appeal to you in all thier aspects

and we shouldnt be so big headed to think we know more

i agree with Med, you cant pick and mix

he has his, and I Alhamdulillah have mine

as long as we all except diffrences may arise in certain issues, its all good

importance of Jama'ah.....(which has a leader of course)...

but then, youve already expressed your view on it there

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Can I just ask?... :?
how did u choose ur shiekh?...
why do u follow this scholar and not another?
and how do you know your shiekh is correct in his teachings?...

Im sorry if I'm being a little offensive to anyone...im just interested to know...inshallah u can enlighten me...

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed.
My Prayer has been answered.

you research them all, the ones that interest you or you have heard off

if you belong to a particular school of thought, then thats a lead....you have some scholars from there

all should be respected no doubt, and you can follow more than one as many dont contradict each other in thier teachings

but they are important, without them we wouldnt know much today

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

For me, my shaykh is someone who I have connection with, someone I feel that I have a nisbat with. Plus my Shaykh does not have many mureeds, he is not well known. The advantage is that I get more attention and help and advise from my Hadrat Shaykh. Plus I have seen that sometimes the Shaykh can be good, but when he has a lot of mureeds the mureeds form their own 'club' and can give the shaykh a bad name, even though the shaykh is innocent. Thats why I stayed away from giving bay'ah to certain mashaaikh because they have large number of mureeds who sometimes cause trouble. Alhamdulillah I have virtually one to one connection with my Shaykh, in dhikr there are at max abt 10 of us who are invited by invitation, for islaah my Shaykh sees me personally, for advice in regards to what to make wird of my Shaykh gives something specific to me. Alhamdulillah there are many benefits to who I am connected with.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Thank you Darth and Med, I appreciated your comments!

"MuSlImAh786" wrote:
Thank you Darth and Med, I appreciated your comments!

velcome velcome.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

So whose ur shiekh med?

I do not wish to give that information.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

dats fine, i understand y, soz!

One should keep an open mind with scholars but should also make up their mind as to what is right i.e the evidence the scholar uses to back up issues/topics etc.

I have my own Shaykh, Prof.Dr Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri and i am perfectly happy with his way of teaching.

It just depends to the indivdual what apeals to them i gues, personally i think if we have great scholars then we should take advantage of their teachings.

Don't get me wrong i respect and listen to a various amount of scholar, but there something about just having one, that for some reason doesn't appeal too me.

Take the War on Afghanistan, there is no way i can see how any scholar could take a position against the Taliban, at the end of the day the were muslims and the were trying to follow as close to the Quran and Sunnah as possible according to their interperation of it, no matter whether you agree with what they stood for, you have to accept these basis facts. But for some reason lots of scholar especially some i respected remain silent on the issues and some even took the side of the Americans. I personally would never be able to accept this decision if i was following the one shaykh. I wouldn't be being true to myself if i did.

Don't get me wrong i got a open mind where scholars are concern, maybe my problem is that it just too open.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

"yuit" wrote:
Don't get me wrong i respect and listen to a various amount of scholar, but there something about just having one, that for some reason doesn't appeal too me.

Take the War on Afghanistan, there is no way i can see how any scholar could take a position against the Taliban, at the end of the day the were muslims and the were trying to follow as close to the Quran and Sunnah as possible according to their interperation of it, no matter whether you agree with what they stood for, you have to accept these basis facts. But for some reason lots of scholar especially some i respected remain silent on the issues and some even took the side of the Americans. I personally would never be able to accept this decision if i was following the one shaykh. I wouldn't be being true to myself if i did.

Don't get me wrong i got a open mind where scholars are concern, maybe my problem is that it just too open.

ahan.

NOW i understand what you mean by not wanting to stick with only one shaykh. I understand, its like with me, if my Ustaadji has one ruling and Mufti Sahib has another then theres a conflict there for me innit, who do I follow?

I dont think it HAS to be totally rigid but then in some ways I think it does. Put it like this, whilst a talib I will refer in everything to my superiors, if ALLAH gives me a portion of knowledge then maybe and ONLY MAYBE i might follow another one of my superiors. Does that make any sense?

But then there are some issues with me which are uncompromising which I KNOW to be right or wrong and regardless who says what Im not gonna change. Eg Khuda na Khasta if someone I respect suddenly said that interest from the bank is totally halal and nawt rong with it, then i wudnt accept it no matter how high he is or what his explanation is.

Its hard to explain. Brother, at one time I submit to my superiours but also in other issues I cannot flex and thats how it should be I think. Eg there is no taqleed in clear issues like shirk, alcohol, usury, backbiting etc. These issues do not need to be done accordng to taqleed because their issues are clearly stated, its the more complex parts which require taqleed.

Now brother you mentioned some people remaining silent on Taliban and some even supporting the US aggression. Brother I will go further and say certain molvis issued decrees that the taliban were gustaakh e Nabi salallahu alayhi wa sallam, that they were disrespecters of Nabi salallahu alayhi wa sallam , and that they deserved the attacks from US. They said many other comments which I find hurtful to reiterate.

Put it like this brother, no matter what my differences with our brothers from the salafiyya, or the Ahlul Bid'ah etc if ever they were attacked we would be with them, they are our brothers, and our misunderstanding or disagreements are not greater than our imaan. Similarly I will add that one of our big Hadrats said that should a non-muslim aggress against the Shia then also we are to join them because the non-muslims attack them because they view it as part of islam, so for that limited time we put aside the MAJOR issues and help them cos if they are defeated then the non-muslims may turn their gazes to the muslims aswell.

Now, any1 who knows me will realise what a major thing that is FOR ME to say. Infact even now my own nafs and logic go against this, if someone were to attack iran I wouldnt feel much, but I submit my misunderstanding and confusion to the ruling of our big Hadrat, because He understands it better than I do.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
one scholar or a group of schoalrs however, may appeal to you in all thier aspects

and we shouldnt be so big headed to think we know more

i agree with Med, you cant pick and mix

he has his, and I Alhamdulillah have mine

as long as we all except diffrences may arise in certain issues, its all good

importance of Jama'ah.....(which has a leader of course)...

but then, youve already expressed your view on it there

good answer agree totally

in these shaky times we all need someone who is holding fast to the rope of Islam, mixing schools of thought will only bewilder us further and we are quite capable of being bewildered further - i know i am

I agree that having the one Scholar does remove confusion. But at the same time I personally think you can gain more benefits from using a various amount of scholars. Because they all have their weak points and strenghts IMO and I personally like taking the good from the scholars, no matter what group or sect they from. I don't think I am confuse, i only start to think I am when people try implying I am, but the true be told i enjoy trying to understand as many viewpoint on islam as possible.

But one thing I have to say is, I don't like when people try to imply when they find out that i don't follow any particular scholar, that i think I too good for them or I make my own judgement on Islam, everything i take in and try to implement is taken from a scholar at one point and I still have huge respect for nearly all scholar, even though to some it may not be enough.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

Salaam

My mum feels the same way. She's OK with sitting with women who's beliefs and idea's she totally disagree's with...she claims that there is good in every group...

So she'll sit with people who are hardcore extremists (which she totally disagree's with)....but will learn Tajwid from them cos she believes that they are the best people for Arabic Tajweed/grammar etc etc.

She does that a lot..

It's good in the sense that she's strong enough to ignore people condemning her when she refuses to see eye to eye with them...I couldnt do that.

Wasalaam

That very reassuring. But it true as well, because today people are all for building relationship with non muslims and rightly so but at the same time they don't offer that same courtesy to muslims as well. Because there alot of suspicion and misunderstanding where certain groups and scholars are involve.

[url=http//

"yuit" wrote:
. But it true as well, because today people are all for building relationship with non muslims and rightly so but at the same time they don't offer that same courtesy to muslims as well. .

Very good point.

I'm very weak in that respect...whilst I don't have a problem with associating with people who may follow a different aqeedah. I find it extremly hard to sit with people who condemn me and my beliefs...that just gets personal, I'm a lot more sensitive then mum.

But many people really need to learn to tolerate difference's of opinion. It's not all about attacking the person who may look at things differently.

Just for clarification I refer to myself, that I wud get confused, and also that I wud be using my nafs to decide which way to go, I am not concerned with others choices or if they confused or not.

But it should be noted that if a person rejects the salafiyya model of picking and mixing from the four madhahib, then how can is picking and mixing fatawa from different darul iftaas any different?

Can som1 explain this viewpoint to me?

Even the salafiyya have a scholars view for every ruling of theirs, even down to the ones who say it is permitted to view the potential spouse in the nude, this even has come from one scholar, similarly the case with other rulings which are dominant in the salafiyya they are based on Imam Dawud Az Zahiri rahmatullahi alayh.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"yuit" wrote:
. But it true as well, because today people are all for building relationship with non muslims and rightly so but at the same time they don't offer that same courtesy to muslims as well. .

Very good point.

I'm very weak in that respect...whilst I don't have a problem with associating with people who may follow a different aqeedah. I find it extremly hard to sit with people who condemn me and my beliefs...that just gets personal, I'm a lot more sensitive then mum.

But many people really need to learn to tolerate difference's of opinion. It's not all about attacking the person who may look at things differently.

Yeah luckily for me I don't have this problem because apart from sometime on this forum, i don't really express my belief to fellow muslims, because you right they are small minded and do feel the need to attack people on any small matter. Plus I think of late muslims do look for superiority in words, but i personally think it better to look at their actions and what it manifest as and then come too a opinion. i found silence and a nod of the head can get you out of alot of situation, just need to be abit more careful what you nod ur head too today. But people do concern themselves with being so right today that IMO they end up doing wrong.

[url=http//

as far as i know, mainstream scholars agree that we shouldnt 'pick and mix' from different [b]schools of thought [/b]i.e. if one is a Hanafi, they cant take the Shafi'i ruling for some matters.

i personally cant c myself ever having one particular scholar. i've always felt diversity is good and encouraged in Islam, and dont ever want to put myself in the position where i cud potentially become rigid in my views and intolerant.

I do, and inshaAllah always will, hold scholars in high esteem; there is something we can learn from each and every classically trained scholar.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

there is no doubt in my mind that all scholars must be treated with respect and in turn we should treat each other with respect regardless of our sects

we can and do learn much from each other but when it comes to following the four schools of thought i would never mix chop and change between them

following a particular scholar is somewhat different and as Yuit says we take the best from each and also listen to who we can.

i myself do not follow a particular sheikh although I do greatly admire as Angel Dr Tahirul Qadri because he speaks to my heart particularly in matters of our beloved Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him)

when we rid ourselves of pride we will appreciate all viewpoints

slightly off the point but thought it best to mention this piece of article:

Quote:
The Need for a Shaykh
Adapted from Spiritual Discourses by Mufti Taqi Usmani (db)

It is not easy to define the inner excellences of man. For instance, humbleness is difficult to describe. But, if one meets a humble person and observes his conduct and stays in his company for some time then that characterstic will grow in him. Hence, it is necessary to turn to a Shaykh and live in his company to know about tasawwuf and sulook. These things cannot grow in anyone by merely talking about them. It is only by attending the company of and giving one's time to a Shaykh that Allah Ta'ala helps one get these things.

Shariah is the name of rights. Whose rights? The rights of Allah Ta'ala and His slaves. And the Shariah is surrounded by: Sunnah & Tasawwuf. Sunnah is the name of the limits, on how to give the rights of Shariah. Tasawwuf is the protection of those limits (of rights) so that one may neither trespass nor stay behind. When one goes to a one's Shaykh, he learns to protect these limits. Hence, the aim of the relationship between a Shaykh and his disciple is to protect these limits, how much should he do, where should he stop, and how far should he go.

Hence, when one turns to a Shaykh to reform oneself that the real objective of turning to him is achieved: to imbibe excellenct traits, and ward off and crush the unworthy characteristics. This, then, is the true purpose of Tasawwuf. Nevertheless, the Dhikr and supplications are also helpful to the seeker. Only through the guidance of the Shaykh can the regimen of Dhikr, Supplications and other repetitions be prescribed for every individual according to the Shaykh's opinion of his condition. The prescription would suggest time, what to do, and how much to do. Only then can one benefit from reformation. By themselves the Dhikr, Supplications and repetitions are not the objective, for the basic aim is the reformation of one's manners and purification of the soul. One must keep the Shaykh posted of one's condition and seek his guidance, being careful to observe them. One must do that all his life, for the aim of turning to the Shaykh is simply this much

Its all good takin opinions from different scholars but it can also be very very confusin. Islam is soo vast and you can never know everythin or enough, so i dread to imagine how it would be to take on board different opinions from different scholars?(i aint dissin those who like to look up to many scholars, just a general observation)

true Angel one can only do this if one is truly sure of ones own Akeeda

for people newly coming into Islam it can be very confusing,

if you are not totally sure of your akeeda then it would be foolish to think you can pick and choose different interpretations from various scholars and still leave your akeeda intact

when Yuit says he does listen to all scholars i assumed that he knew to distinguish between them and his own akeeda

I agree with what most people are saying. I do follow the one School of Thought (hanafi), for no other reason then to make make my life easier as everyting based around the school of thought were so close to the time of the prophets (saw). I think it is also important to see how all school of thoughts were able accept the difference that they had and still work together, something the follower today at time seem to neglect.

Plus i do Google every scholar I listen too and read up on beforehand, so I know from what postion he coming from. That something that will never let me down, Good old Google. Wink

[url=http//

"yuit" wrote:
I agree with what most people are saying. I do follow the one School of Thought (hanafi), for no other reason then to make make my life easier as everyting based around the school of thought were so close to the time of the prophets (saw). I think it is also important to see how all school of thoughts were able accept the difference that they had and still work together, something the follower today at time seem to neglect.

I heard you cant pick and choose from different schools of thought, if you follow Hanafi then you stick with that school of thought same applies to the rest. I supose one of the reason would be it keeps things "simpe" as you said.

I personally think that you cant pick your scholar coz like say you were in a dilemma and you needed advice desperately and you had a solution to this problem yourself but just wanted someone else to clarify it and then you asked a scholar whos opinion was completely diffo from yours then i think your bound to ask sum1 else until that person is complying the same meaning you want to hear and have yourself. I know im confusin but jus think bout it and you'll see it does make sense. TRUST

Learn To Love The People Who Are Willing To Love You At Present. Forget The People In The Past & Thank Them For Hurting You, Which Lead You To Love The People You Have Right Now..

"f020855" wrote:
I personally think that you cant pick your scholar coz like say you were in a dilemma and you needed advice desperately and you had a solution to this problem yourself but just wanted someone else to clarify it and then you asked a scholar whos opinion was completely diffo from yours then i think your bound to ask sum1 else until that person is complying the same meaning you want to hear and have yourself. I know im confusin but jus think bout it and you'll see it does make sense. TRUST

Well that’s really pointless then to ask someone for advice if u expect the same answer, seeking advice from someone else is so that the other person will be able to give advice without emotions affecting the advice. As for the Shaykh a word you mentioned “trust” is what you have to have and think whatever advice your Shaykh gives you is for your betterment.

Deleted

Learn To Love The People Who Are Willing To Love You At Present. Forget The People In The Past & Thank Them For Hurting You, Which Lead You To Love The People You Have Right Now..

Pages