[hadith] Angels will not enter the house...

Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib:

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:

The angels do not enter a house which contains a picture, a dog, or a man who is impure by sexual defilement.

{Book 32, Number 4140: Sunan Abu-Dawud}

Does a picture mean a photograph?
Or a drawing?

what exactly?

it can be a photo, drawing, sketch, painting whatever if the image contains an animate object like humans/animals, aliens if you believe in that lol then it applies to the hadith. course there are some muslims who dont agree with this or some who take pics and think its ok so long as they are hidden away in album. i dont know any scholars who permit it, but i am the uneducated sort. i prefer not to engage in it.

i do miss doing portraits though, and photography i was really good at it.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

I don't entirely get this - if I asked about a matter of Jewish law and someone responded without sources but alluded to a dispute, whatever else they said I would consider my question unanswered. This is not to criticise Hajjar's answers but to raise the question of which scholars living historically and today, or which lines of thought, receive the most precedence when resolving disputes. This is a very open question, I am just hoping to understand something about Islamic law and the authority of various formulations.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

There are multiple sources on this, a few different ahadith - and since we are not scholars, the level of debate may not always be scholarly.

Below are some thoughts, things I remember but without actually linking to the exact ahadith etc.

Firstly, there is the one where Hadhrat Aisha (ra) had brought a pillow with a painting on it and the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) disaproved of the painting.

Further I think there is a hadith that on the day of judgement God will ask people to blow life into what they have made, as a challenge. (The idea being only God can create).

I also read that some painter asked the companions of the Prophet what he should do since he is a painter and he was advised that he can continue his trade but to avoid painting animals and people.

On the other side of the argument I think there is a hadith about a wall hanging which was asked to be taken down before praying... instead of being disposed of totally.

and it has also been reported that Hadhrat Aisha (ra) used to have some dolls.

So these two suggest it is not a complete and total ban.

The idea that photographs are different from pictures seems to be that you are capturing a moment and not painting a scene or something. I have not read into it too much.

Hopefully someone else will come along and give more details to where things really stand.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Thanks Admin. What I'm wondering is if there is a commonly cited or highly respected text, modern or inherited, that catalogues the fatwas on these questions explaining maybe: "Sheikh Peter wrote that in places where it is not common to worship idols it is appropriate to have certain pictures in the house whereas Sheikh Paul after him taught that while Sheikh Peter was no doubt correct it would be a dangerous precedent for lesser mortals, and to avoid misunderstanding and temptation one should have no images. Sheikh Jack rejected either argument stating that across the Umah no Muslim should even go near an image, citing verse x, and today in the year of the coronation of King Bob most Muslims abide by the ruling of Sheikh Jack and may Allah have mercy on the others."

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Sunnipath has a discussion on the matter that you might interesting. But once again after a good starting, it is simply listing the opinions of various people/scholars etc.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i didnt post any evidence because this topic has been done before several times. everytime i give evidence even if from scholars it is usually discarded so i did not bother. i dont want it to appear like im forcing my views on others. yes i was lazy i am sorry.

but sunnipath.com is good resource for your answer and many others.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

We Shia muslims ask our Ayatollah if we are not sure about something. no one knows more than the Ayatollah. He is the top man who spends all life studying Quran and Hadith.
He says picture is not a photo or a drawing, painting etc. if it was, then TV would be haram. you wouldnt be able to pray in upstairs room if TV was on downstairs.
so use your brain. prophet did not mean what you think.
it means a statue. so if you have any sort of statue, its same idol, you may not worhip it, but angels dont like it, so they wont come in.
little transformers, and wodden toys, plastic dolls, and other glass figures and statues prevent angels from entering your home. these things are idols and as Torah also says God does not like images or idol and statues. thats why Jewish homes are so nice and clean of all idols.
Muslims home is also clean of statues and idol. We believe in one true God. we are not like christians who say 3 gods. that is idoltary.
we pray in a clean room. if you have statue idols then your namaz is also void. you got to pray in a statue free dog free home, and you got to take a bath after sleeping with your wife. any filth on your clothes or body makes the angels go away too.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

if we in The Revival believe it is wrong to create images etc

then why do we have cartoons in the mag
why put a photos of celebs eg footballers on the magazine cover

not everything is black and white

to me it is black and white. ive yet to hear a fatwa saying images of animate objects permitted. they say permitted for need i.e id cards, passport etc. They dont say permitted socially or as a hobby i.e art. furthermore most evidence prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and followers never did it. sure they had no cameras but they could have had their portraits sketched or painted as did the edwardians for example, why didn't they. i mean for sentimental reasons wouldn't they have had their childrens portraits done if it were allowed?

muslims do many things but we dont judge islamic laws on that basis islamic law should dictate our behaviour but we are human so we err. so yes revival may have pics, but so do many other islamic editorials. many muslims take photos, many muslims do animate art, muslims do a lot of things but this isn't the bar by which we lead our lives.

before i get blasted for appearing to be miss perfect. i am a sinner i have taken photos of friends and family in past, i did photograpy as part of coure at uni because i loved it so much. but i try not to do that anymore since i have seen evidence that islam does not allow it. i never had any photos taken at my wedding, or film footage. sometimes i wish i had 1 picture then i get cross with myself for wanting to go with my whims.

think you posted in wrong thread ebony? :idea:

its just a spammer who found its way through the system. Seems to be happening more and more lately. I will assume that means that more people are trying because more have heard of this place.