The Muslim origins of Valentine’s Day

There once was a village in Muslimistan, where a young boy called Wali Nuteen lived. He was a kind, fun-loving adventurous boy, who was Sunni, practicing, tall, with a fair complexion, steady job and a healthy respect for Shia people, without appearing dogmatic. In fact, just the kind of description any Muslim lady scouring adverts on Muslim matrimonial sites would be happy with.

One day, Wali was walking along the main street of his village when he spied a beautiful lady. In an instant, he fell in love. The girl was called Begum; she was from a rival tribe. She was 23 years his senior, and already married. But he still, Walis love for Begum knew no bounds.

Usually, someone like Wali would be smacked silly at the very least by Begum’s husband, or by Begum’s family or more likely, by both. However, Wali was known as being an eccentric boy and decent if not very bright sort, so they didn’t kill him. Wali didn’t do much about his love either, just quietly waited for the right time.

Many years later, news reached Walis village that Begum’s husband had tragically chocked on his miswaak. Begum was distraught and her children fatherless. Wali, being the insensitive, selfish chap that people in love usually are, thought he had found his chance. Begum’s father, who was now 76, met with Wali.
“Your only chance with my daughter is if you can kiss your elbow”

For the next few days Wali wandered between his village and Begums village, vainly trying to kiss his elbows. At last, he couldn’t take it anymore. With the assistance of a local blacksmith, Wali dislocated both shoulders, and kissed both his elbows. Triumphant, he staggered to Begums house.

However the awkward angle of his drooping arms, along with the screams of pain, looked like an insult to Begum’s father. He promptly shot Wali through the heart. Begum did not know any of this as she was on a recuperative trip to the seaside. Begum’s father was a very very clever man.

The locals used this story to warn children about love, and the story became ‘Wali Nuteen Day’, which after visits by Crusaders, and many years of retelling, became ‘Valentine’s Day’. The moral, dear readers, is this:

Do not dislocate both your shoulders to kiss your elbows on Valentine’s Day, or any other day for that matter

Read more @

Its what he calls himself

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Well I love my Valentine's poem so much I will share it once more:

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Valentine's Day is Kufr
But I still Love You True

Tread Softly wrote:
Well I love my Valentine's poem so much I will share it once more:

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Valentine's Day is Kufr
But I still Love You True

lol (y)

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

lol, this is the text message i got today:

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Valentine's Day is what the Kuffars do

Shaytaan is the third present
Between the intimate two
So Remember oh Muslim,
It's Haraam for you!
-------
It's nice in its own way

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

its not haraam though, is it?

as long as the couple are married, no harm no foul.

People just like to rant and rave. Make a stand where none is needed.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Well it would be nice to celebrate, but then again you're not supposed to change the religion by focusing on things like this, right?

oh and i decided to google it, here is what I found (in brief):

Dr. Su`ad Ibrahim Salih, professor of Islamic Jurisprudence (Fiqh) at Al-Azhar University says

Islam goes against blindly imitating the West regarding a special occasion such as Valentine’s Day. Hence, commemorating that special day known as the Valentine’s Day is an innovation or bid`ah that has no religious backing. Every innovation of that kind is rejected, as far as Islam is concerned. Islam requires all Muslims to love one another all over the whole year, and reducing the whole year to a single day is totally rejected.

Hence, we Muslims ought not to follow in the footsteps of such innovations and superstitions that are common in what is known as the Valentine’s Day. No doubt that there are many irreligious practices that occur on that day, and those practices are capable of dissuading people from the true meanings of love and altruism to the extent that the celebration is reduced to a moral decline.

Read more:

But i understand what you mean about married couples, I find it best to TRY to avoid avoid avoid (try being the key word) Smile

It is not changing religion since it would not be considered a religious occasion.

Just because you are meant to do something all year it does not mean you cannot do MORE as a special occasion.

I don't see how it can be seen as a superstition though... is the guy just cutting and pasting random stuff to point out his view? "if you don't do this, thou shalt be CURSED for a thousand years and walk amongst the dead like a diseased mongrel" is not something that I have read associated with this day...

You wrote:
"if you don't do this, thou shalt be CURSED for a thousand years and walk amongst the dead like a diseased mongrel"

LOL!

--

Which guy?

Which guy what?

But i understand what you mean about married couples, I find it best to TRY to avoid avoid avoid (try being the key word) Smile

Agreed there, but there is a difference between avoiding things and condemning others. Sending messages, calling it haraam, and an avenue to zina etc.. when people do that it goes into the latter.

Weirdest one I heard was some "scholarly opinion" condemning honeymoons as haraam and an avenue to zina. I don't think the guy understood that such things happen AFTER marriage and intimacy at this point is a GOOD thing promoted by Islam and sunnah.

You wrote:
is the guy just cutting and pasting random stuff to point out his view?

that guy - who are you talking about?

---

The honeymoon thing, maybe the scholar was just condemning the label? Although i still don't understand how it could be Zina

I meant the quote from the IslamOnline link. (the non-liking of Valentines day seems more cultural and less Islam related IMO)

Either way, I think I am being far too confrontational on a non-issue. Apologies.

To the people who send these text it should be replied that zina is just as haraam the rest of the year too (and that is what is wrong, not people celebrating their union).

I think the people sending these texts aren't wrong to do so because at the end of the text message (i didn't mention it before so it's my fault) it said something like 'just a reminder'.

I think we need as many reminders as possible to try to keep us grounded

Off the topic: what on earth is IMO? =S I seriously don't know, maybe i'm behind with the msn-ish lingo lol

IMO = In My Opinion

LOOOOL of courseee duh!

Thanks!

why would he need to dislocate both shoulders when just one would do?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

eagerness?

You wrote:
eagerness?

And look where it got him.

Exactly.

lol this was a good read

You wrote:
Which guy what?

Agreed there, but there is a difference between avoiding things and condemning others. Sending messages, calling it haraam, and an avenue to zina etc.. when people do that it goes into the latter.

Weirdest one I heard was some "scholarly opinion" condemning honeymoons as haraam and an avenue to zina. I don't think the guy understood that such things happen AFTER marriage and intimacy at this point is a GOOD thing promoted by Islam and sunnah.

Honeymoons- an avenue to zina? LMAO!!! Yes you marry your wife, go on a honeymoon and commit adultery with her! LMAO!!! LOL!!!!!!

Can you remember the name of the guy who said this?

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi