Is the grass greener on the other side?

Salaams,

I used to think that the UK had it all. Comfort, good standard of living, rights etc...thought I was pretty set here...I did wonder in the back of my mind, how nice it would be to teach second langauge kids in a foreign country...

Fortunately, a few months after getting married,our british qualifications presented us with the opportunity to live in Egypt for a year...I've been living in Egypt for the last 4 months now.

Interestingly enough, after living here for a while now, I'm torn...dunno if I prefer living here for the rest of my life or back in the UK.

Use this thread to discuss the pros and con's of living here vs living oversea...

Oversea DEF has a better standard of living, better weather, more relaxed work ethic, more islam etc...but it can be racist, unfair, have poor health care and education etc ...

Discuss

Wasalaam

I doubt you have to decide right now for ever and ever - is it not better to take it as it comes, bite sized pieces at a time?

At the end of the year, if you are still happy there, continue for another. and another. and another - till you decide that you want to do something else.

I doubt you need to make a decision "for ever" on this matter.

As for the title, "the other side" I would imagine be Syria or some other third country.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Another way to tackle the question is from a family planning perspective.

Compare the people you have taught in both countries, their siblings, parents etc. which one do you want yours to be like?

Having not been in Egypt, I would assume you will be repulsed to think that if you brought up a family there, the kids would end up like the ones you are teaching (or more specifically, if they are too young, then their elder brethren. teen years people.)

That is (a part of) the family angle (another part being help, and family), but you may prefer thinking short term about things. One year, or even less at a time.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

tbh - as a teacher, my kids education (until they're 12) doesnt bother me too much, as I plan to be directly involved with their schooling - obviously I would want them to sit their GCSE etc in UK, but thats a long time away....healthcare is a problem, esp with small children...but if you're willing to pay, you can get a good standard of care here.

In terms of their personalities...that depends on our upbringing, they can pick up good and bad things here and in the UK.

But how about the rest of you? - ever considered life abroad? A UK qualification gives you more overseas than you can ever get in the UK.

i have thought about life abroad but i don't know if that will ever happen, only time will tell.