Late-night teens 'face greater depression risk'

oing to bed earlier protects teenagers against depression and suicidal thoughts, research suggests.

A US study of 12 to 18-year-olds found those with bedtimes after midnight were 24% more likely to have depression than those who went to bed before 2200.

And those who slept fewer than five hours a night had a 71% higher risk of depression than those who slept eight hours, the journal Sleep reports.

It is estimated 80,000 UK children and young people have depression.

The researchers from Columbia University Medical Center in New York looked at data from 15,500 teenagers collected in the 1990s.

One in 15 of those studied were found to have depression.

Read more @

Ermm... I think i will try to sleep earlier now..

it is sunnah to sleep after isha salah.

I seriously gna have to change my sleepin pattern...but i think i can get away with it in the holidays Lol

Lol

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

How do we know that late nights cause depression? Maybe it's the other way round?

e.g. people who get 8 hrs sleep per night manage to sleep soundly cos they're content, whereas people with worries/stress/anxiety can't get to sleep easily and only manage 5 out of sheer exhaustion.

Don't just do something! Stand there.