Muslim Women Need To Start Working-Blunkett

Salaam

More Muslim women need to get out of the family home and enter the workplace if genuine equality is to be achieved in Britain, says former Home Secretary David Blunkett.

The minister was speaking in Glasgow last week. He said it was time for Islamic community to start changing their attitude to women and encouraging all their mothers, daughters and wives to learn English, get a job and escape the control of male dominated households.

He said “Quite a number of people in the south Asian community in the country who have no job and are not connected to society are women”.

Mr Blunketts remarks are backed up by statistics from the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC). They show that 72 per cent of Pakistani and Bangladeshi women in Britain between the ages 16-59 are unemployed, compared to only 28 per cent of white British women.

The above was copied out word for word from this weeks “Eastern Eye Newspaper”.

Share your thoughts please….

Wasalaam

At the same time

'more non-muslim women must forego a career to rear children'

Hmmm... In rance they are starting to pay women to have children, and some groups are calling for the same in the uk to counter the decline in birth rates in 'native' communities.

All that said, people need to work. I they do not, as long as they do not scrounge on the dole for no reason I do not really care. Its their choice.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i have two points to make

1-yes-there is a shortage of muslim women in the workforce-maybe it is cos of the men-but i cant assume this....after a point someone made in the study/marraige thread I've realised that women should be able to stand on their own feet...they shouldnt be totally dependent on men

2-stupid blunkett should lose this obsession he has with Muslims :roll:

They've targetted single mothers too. Those with kids who have reached twelve they want to force them out to work. They say it's better that these women work. It's good for their kids to be brought up seeing an independent mother. But if these women want to be full time mothers, if they're not lazy. Why not? Do women no longer have a choice?

It seems like they want us women to be like baby factories. Pump out babies on target ,and then stick them in a creche, whilst we work full time. No father around. No mother around. The baby grows up knowing their childminder better than their parents. That makes for a utopian society. I can just see it now "you're not my mother you were never there for me, why should I listen to you". Aww bliss.

Blunkett just needs to stop generalising

he's assuming that the 72% of unemployed Paki/bengali women are jobless cos of their men

some may be-but many may be like that due to personal choice

blunkett shut up u ignaramous muslim women can chose 2 wrk or not 2 work they dnt hve 2 strt wen u wnt dem 2 idiot :x :x :x

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
i have two points to make

1-yes-there is a shortage of muslim women in the workforce-maybe it is cos of the men-but i cant assume this....after a point someone made in the study/marraige thread I've realised that women should be able to stand on their own feet...they shouldnt be totally dependent on men

2-stupid blunkett should lose this obsession he has with Muslims :roll:

every1 non-muslim poloticsions ey on islam and plz sme1 dnt come out wiv no becuz im nearly 100% sure on dis one

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
Blunkett just needs to stop generalising

he's assuming that the 72% of unemployed Paki/bengali women are jobless cos of their men

some may be-but many may be like that due to personal choice

I agree, many sisters knowadays are adopting the career approach and IN ADDITION ALSO getting on with honouring her duties to her hubby and family.

Both can and IS being done yet Blunkett cant help but genralise :roll:

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed.
My Prayer has been answered.

Salaam

It’s true that Mr Blunkett must stop generalising….He’s assuming that all unemployed Muslim women are oppressed by their men.

In my household, I’m the only girl who works…and this is only cos I love my work.… Daddy has never discouraged me from working…

My mum, sister, cousins, aunties etc etc are all employed, NOT cos their men forbid them from working but because they just don’t want to work…

Most of my mates in and out of Uni don’t work either, simply and only cos they don’t want to…

One of the great things about being a Muslim woman is that, you don’t HAVE to work if you don’t want to…this is cos your father or husband is obliged to financially provide for you…

So if you need money you just ask Daddy or your husband…. Also, whatever a woman earns is her own money; she’s free to do whatever she wants with it… this is a blessing from Islam.

From what I’ve seen it’s very, very rare for Muslim men to be “bums” i.e. be lazy/employed and expect their women to be the sole breadwinners and also run the household.

So if statistics shows that 72% of Muslim women are unemployed…this is mainly because they don’t feel the social obligation to work…

Of course, having said that, if there are Muslim women out there oppressed and housebound cos of their men, then this is a serious cause for concern…such men need to be educated…but its wrong to assume that all Muslim men are like that.

Wasalaam

I think most women dont work becuase they are busy bring up children

and by the time they can get back to working they've forgotten how to do

certain things or they dont have the relevant experience anymore. Most

women its difficult to find a job becuase there english is not very good.

Take my mum for example all us lot are in school/college/uni so she can

work but she cant get a job anywhere coz her english aint very good and

she cant read or write. She started goin english classes to improve but its

really hard for her becuase when your younger you can grasp stuff more

easily but when your older its harder. Shes tryin really hard but by the

tym she does learn english she wont be at a age where she can work. I

got to agree wiv u lot, women in islam are defo not oppressed in fact i

wud say more women are starting to work nowdays which is gud to see.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Just out of interest

if we all ended up with very rich hubby's Biggrin (its possible)

who would happily support us

how many of us would still CHOOSE to work, just because we want to

i personally would still work

"Salma" wrote:
Just out of interest

if we all ended up with very rich hubby's Biggrin (its possible)

who would happily support us

how many of us would still CHOOSE to work, just because we want to

i personally would still work

intresting Q

if I had a rich hubby...I'd stay at home chilling

i suit being a woman of leisure-

but i know that if my sisters husband was a millionaire she'd still be working/involved in sumin..some people are just happier being active

Na if me hubby waz rich i wud still work, even if he was a millionaire an i knew i wud be settled for the rest of my life. I just couldn't stay at home doin nothing all day, wud get borin, im an active person, have to be doin summit all the time.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Salaam

I agree…I also find it difficult to be inactive.

This Ramadan I’ve been moaning so much about taking too much on….however, I am only happier when occupied…physically and mentally.

I can’t stand doing nothing…housework etc only takes an hour or two max…..what should a woman do for the rest of the day?

Wasalaam

You could reading kalimah tayibah 70 000 times in one go.

Also how is supposed to go about working-Blunkett?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

"Not_a_Kuri" wrote:
You could reading kalimah tayibah 70 000 times in one go.

Dhikr can be done any time; in fact ones tongue should always be busy in the Dhikr of Allah (swt).

And any act done with the intention of pleasing Allah (swt) is in fact Dhikr.

I think some people are happy to sit at home and do the housework whilst others rather be active.

I dont agree with Blunkett by pushin ppl into workin esp. single mothers, it their choice what they want to do and being a mother is important so you can give your child the best up-bringin.

I personally hate wrkin but then i hate sittin at home doin nothin at all, but sometimes its nice to just sit and laze about, also once you have more responsibilites i.e kids its harder to be more active and givin them attention if you work. It can be done but much harder.

"angel" wrote:
I think some people are happy to sit at home and do the housework whilst others rather be active.

forgive me if i'm wrong, but from wot i understood angel ur suggesting that ppl who 'sit at home and do housework' are not 'active'.

i dont think thats true at all. many ppl have an active personality, and no matter wot they do, this characteristic of theirs remains the same.

my mum has been working for as long as i can remember. she is one of those realy active ppl. however recently she made the decision to go bak to being a housewife - she's always wanted to do this, but as she felt a responsibility towards the (muslim) community, she used to work.

being a housewife hasnt changed her one bit. she's still working ALL the time! i honestly dont understand how ppl can say housework just takes one hour. for us girls it may do, because we dont do all of it, but for mothers: its laundry, cooking, cleaning, shopping etc. for the WHOLE family. and especially for mothers who have lil' kids - surely the children take up all their time (along with housework) ?!

i dont agree with this notion that the only way to 'be active' is if ur out of the house... :?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"being active" is relative

u can be an "active" housewife

and also "active Islamically"

and also "active" out the house

but housewife is a easy life

mum has left sis and me home alone for couple of weeks

housework/dinner was cooked in a few hours and the rest of the day we just chilled

its a stressfree life i don't feel "active" when I'm at home

coz ur not managin the house n lookin after husband and kids

bieng a house wife is a full time job........takes a lot of time, but you get your free time to relax, have fun, do other stuff

i'd go with Aasiyah on this one - the value of a housewife and her duties are underestimated severely

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

i WAS looking after kids

a messy seven year old and a lazy 16 year old teenager

AND we cooked for dad

I never said-"a housewife" is underestimated

I just pointed out that its not as hectic as people make it out to be

i never said you did

try lookin after an ageing husband, a big messy kid, a kid who hardly eats, me, a kid who you cant understand, and a good girl who eats too much......ontop of a big house plus all usual housewife duties

u'll know how taxxing it can be

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
i never said you did

try lookin after an ageing husband, a big messy kid, a kid who hardly eats, me, a kid who you cant understand, and a good girl who eats too much......ontop of a big house plus all usual housewife duties

u'll know how taxxing it can be

in life theres on two things that are certain: death and taxes...

Back in BLACK

add to that Chelsea winning the title

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"being active" is relative

u can be an "active" housewife

and also "active Islamically"

and also "active" out the house

but housewife is a easy life

mum has left sis and me home alone for couple of weeks

housework/dinner was cooked in a few hours and the rest of the day we just chilled

its a stressfree life i don't feel "active" when I'm at home

exactly my point - being 'active' is indeed relative, therefore it shouldnt b associated more to one thing than another.

u and ur sis did the work together - u cud split chores etc. but wen ur mum's ther i'm sure she des it all herself (u guys must help her, but u get wot i'm saying?)

lol 'stressfree'?! my mom seems more stressed out if anything. she's ded tired by the end of the day. we keep telling her to slow down, and she's like 'but then nothing will get done'. lol, as i sed, its an individual's personality that makes the difference.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

He can't do us any harm now.

Quote:

[size=18]Blunkett resigns from the Cabinet[/size]

[b]David Blunkett has resigned as work and pensions secretary, telling Tony Blair his position had become "untenable".[/b]

Mr Blunkett had been under pressure after breaking the ministerial code of conduct over paid work he took while he was out of Cabinet.

[url=

hey! the pratt had to walk the plank.

he 'resigned' after being called into a meeting with the PM.
Lets hope he is not brought back from the dead like last time. (and that was only after about 5 months!)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"angel" wrote:

forgive me if i'm wrong, but from wot i understood angel ur suggesting that ppl who 'sit at home and do housework' are not 'active'.

i dont think thats true at all. many ppl have an active personality, and no matter wot they do, this characteristic of theirs remains the same.

my mum has been working for as long as i can remember. she is one of those realy active ppl. however recently she made the decision to go bak to being a housewife - she's always wanted to do this, but as she felt a responsibility towards the (muslim) community, she used to work.

being a housewife hasnt changed her one bit. she's still working ALL the time! i honestly dont understand how ppl can say housework just takes one hour. for us girls it may do, because we dont do all of it, but for mothers: its laundry, cooking, cleaning, shopping etc. for the WHOLE family. and especially for mothers who have lil' kids - surely the children take up all their time (along with housework) ?!

i dont agree with this notion that the only way to 'be active' is if ur out of the house... :?

nah your right, my phrasing was wrong, what i mean was sum ppl rather sit at home and houswork, whilst others are happier out of the house.

To say that doing housework and looking after children aint being active would be very foolish cuz i see mum doin it and i have experienced it for a whole month and it involved a lot of hard work and is very tirin...

If it came across as me thinkin housewives are uselss and lazy ppl i do apologize becuz thats opposite of what i think.

Salam

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Muslim Women Need To Start Working-Blunkett

Mr Blunkett needs to first himself start working properly.

Omrow

"Admin" wrote:
hey! the pratt had to walk the plank.

he 'resigned' after being called into a meeting with the PM.
Lets hope he is not brought back from the dead like last time. (and that was only after about 5 months!)

He won't be back. In another 5 months Blair will be gone too and Brown isn't gonna bring Blunket on board.

Pages