Hidden Civilisation - Channel 4

[size=18]Paradise Found [/size]

[b]7:05pm - 9:05pm

Tonight

Channel 4[/b]

The incredible art and architecture of the Muslim world is brought to our screens by presenter and critic Waldemar Januszczak. Travelling across Central Asia and the Middle East, he's intent on showing us the depth of culture and spectacle that we rarely, if ever, get to see. Inseparable from the artistry, too, are the artists and we're introduced to people whose lives are spent fashioning beautiful objects and buildings.

I saw the first half hour. it was pretty good.

I loved how he linked all islamic archiecture in one term.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i was at namaz

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

[size=18]When the Moors Ruled in Europe [/size]

[b]7:00pm - 9:10pm

Saturday

Channel 4[/b]

Epic length, leisurely pace, picture-postcard visuals: it must be one of Bettany Hughes's sweeping history lessons. This time, the eclectic presenter (last seen sizing up Helen of Troy) takes on the entire 700-year rise and fall of Islamic rule in Spain. It's a huge story and, frankly, it's crying out to be chopped up into a series. There are fascinating titbits here, particularly the explanation of how the Alhambra in Granada was designed throughout to reflect one mathematical rule, but there are also longueurs. We know by now, or we should, what an amazing, intellectually vibrant culture medieval Islam was, without being told a dozen times. For newcomers to the tale, this is a worthy overview. But don't expect too many original insights; just enjoy the ride.

[size=18]Sufi Soul - The Mystic Music of Islam [/size]

[b]11:30pm - 12:30am

Channel 4

Tonight[/b]

Documentary following writer and historian William Dalrymple on a personal journey into the mystical and musical side of Islam as he charts the traditions of Sufi music in Syria, Turkey, Pakistan, India and Morocco.

should be interesting.....if they show sufism in its true light!

how long is this season on with channel 4?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I think this'll be the last programme of the season.

Saw both (all the moors one, and abit of the sufi one).

As usual the Moors one made me angry. But not as angry as the one by Rageh Omar (that was more on substance of society, and the fall of islamic europe, this was more about culture).

The sufi one was poor.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

what did it say?

i dont have channel 4 :?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:

i dont have channel 4 :?

Lol Lol Lol

thats what happens when ypou don't pay for you sky.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

"irfghan" wrote:
[size=18]Sufi Soul - The Mystic Music of Islam [/size]

[b]11:30pm - 12:30am

Channel 4

Tonight[/b]

Documentary following writer and historian William Dalrymple on a personal journey into the mystical and musical side of Islam as he charts the traditions of Sufi music in Syria, Turkey, Pakistan, India and Morocco.

I was disapointed, kinda saw the "hadra" (form of zikr) which was good but the rest of the countries ie pak and morroco poorly represented Sufism, i personally didnt see the difference between a night club and the so-called "sufism" in moroco, free-mixing women goin crazy dancing with their arms flying everywhere, lacked modesty...overally totally disapointed but when they put the view of Islam forward they always manage to grab idiots!!

However seeing Maulana Rumi (ra) resting place was great, and those dervish "dancers" were cool.