Amir Khan: If I were white, I'd be a superstar

Those are the words of Amir Khan, who has been booed in every fight since his loss to Breidis Prescott over a year ago.

News paper quoted him as saying "I can only say that sometimes ,skin colour does make a difference," Khan said. "I know for a fact if I were a white English fighter maybe I would have been a superstar in Britain, and the world."

Which is a damning verdict of race relations in the UK. However with Amir Khan and said "I don't agree with it. I don't know why he made those comments."

Where do you stand on this issue? Would Amir Khan have been better treated if he was not Muslim or Pakistani?

Tags: 

What formatting did you put on the picture, to get it to the right of the text?

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

none - you just have to attach it in the "new" way (creating a new topic or blog post or article, there is a new image upload/browse option that you can use - upload an image as an image page, and then use that to select it and it will be "properly" formatted.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Well, reading this basically made me cringe.

Why is he not proud to be a Asian, Pakistani and famous/successful/seen as a role model?

I agree with his father.

It sounds like hes looking for more popularity....which might ruin his look?

He is not saying that he is not proud to be Pakistani/Muslim, but saying that he has tried to bridge the gap, but many people have thrown it in his face.

He also says he had a choice over who to represent in the olympics - Pakistan of GB and he chose GB, but last year when he lost that one fight, there was much racist abuse thrown at him and he was called all sorts. Ever since he has been booed by a contingent of the "British" crowd, and he is saying that if he was white, none of that would have happened.

Which is true.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
He is not saying that he is not proud to be Pakistani/Muslim, but saying that he has tried to bridge the gap, but many people have thrown it in his face.

He also says he had a choice over who to represent in the olympics - Pakistan of GB and he chose GB, but last year when he lost that one fight, there was much racist abuse thrown at him and he was called all sorts. Ever since he has been booed by a contingent of the "British" crowd, and he is saying that if he was white, none of that would have happened.

Which is true.

Oh, I didnt know any of that.

Maybe i should have read the article before I wrote that.

He had racist abuse thrown at him when he lost a game? Sad

You wrote:

Where do you stand on this issue? Would Amir Khan have been better treated if he was not Muslim or Pakistani?

Most likely

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

But do you think if he wasn't asian, all those asian people (esp. girls, because lots of boys would probably have noticed anyway-sexist, yes) who would otherwise not have noticed boxing, would have noticed boxing?

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
But do you think if he wasn't asian, all those asian people (esp. girls, because lots of boys would probably have noticed anyway-sexist, yes) who would otherwise not have noticed boxing, would have noticed boxing?

no.

I thought he was already a bit of a superstar in his field :s
I guess if he was white and lost a game he may still have been subjected to booing and abuse from gutted and angry "fans" but I guess there wouldn't have been any racial abuse. Him being of an ethnic background just added to the abuse he got. There are other white sports and other personalities who have hit rock bottom with their fan base for a moment and then had to work hard to redeem themselves.