I love you...yes YOU too ;)

soooo theres something im a confused about...

Ok before i start talking about it, i know in the past i have said "I love you For The Allah Sake" but im afraid i don't and im sorry Smile

the bit in bold is what i don't get. how on earth can someone LOVE someone else for Allah's sake?! :S :S

I mean u can do things for Allah such as be nice to people, treat them in the right etc etc but how can u have a feeling like love for others?

I mean u love people because of who they are and its not something u can really "help" doing...

:S

Imagine an obnoxious brother whose a rite tit.
But u gotta lov him coz hes family. Its the same deal.

Back in BLACK

/raises eyebrow

no it isnt.

ur gna have grown up with ur brother, however obnoxious he is there are things u will like about him or even grow to like.

How does that apply to just anyone?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Someone's habits can annoy you a lot... but you can tolerate them either because you think the person is trying to be a good person, or by the "well, the person was created by God, so there must be some redeeming qualities".

In other words, dealing well and fairly with people who you despise for other reasons.

That is my understanding.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

yeah thats what i meant like with the brother thing.

but that doesnt apply to random people who u barely know..

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Ah man I'm gutted - the title of this forum topic is misleading Sad

I thought we had a forum thread where we all get to sing our praises of You and pay homage to the dude - the only dude who brings us all the news courtesy of the BBC website and has a unique RaggedyRaggedyRaggedy edge too Smile I really thought it was a You fan clun

Saira wrote:
...who brings us all the news courtesy of the BBC website...

Lol

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
how on earth can someone LOVE someone else for Allah's sake?!

I like the philosophy ones. This depends how you see it. If God is really like some guy issuing whims for commands then it is a ridiculous proposition, we might as well let nature take it's course with us and not bother. But if you want to take inspiration, consider that God seriously transcends that, as a concept to you, constituting all the energy and mass and the will we experience consciously and passively, we can be inspired to overcome our first, sometimes animalistic, reactions, for the sake of our own future and that of others and future generations, and an ideal world, and that is for God's sake, something greater than our own desires. If we have a religious commitment we are joint ambassadors for our kith and kin, humanity and God, making the world a more spiritual place. When we make additional efforts to behave in a dignified manner Jews call that "kiddush Hashem", sanctification of our beliefs about God. (If we get into the nitty gritty of ulterior motives, of course, we will see some dovetailing, but that is often no problem.)

The other point you make is that love is not a choice, and I think that is an erroneous belief. Sometimes love is not a good choice or very promising, and sometimes as with any choice one has become habituated to a sense that it cannot be undone, and sometimes emotions are just that powerful, but it is still a choice and an individual's response to certain emotions, thoughts and environments. Examples of people who don't always see they are making a choice: Foster parents; Women who side with their abuser; Gays who find themselves incurably sensitive and effeminate; Perverts who stalk obsessively; Arranged newlyweds; everyone else.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Joie de Vivre wrote:

I like the philosophy ones. This depends how you see it. If God is really like some guy issuing whims for commands then it is a ridiculous proposition, we might as well let nature take it's course with us and not bother. But if you want to take inspiration, consider that God seriously transcends that, as a concept to you, constituting all the energy and mass and the will we experience consciously and passively, we can be inspired to overcome our first, sometimes animalistic, reactions, for the sake of our own future and that of others and future generations, and an ideal world, and that is for God's sake, something greater than our own desires. If we have a religious commitment we are joint ambassadors for our kith and kin, humanity and God, making the world a more spiritual place. When we make additional efforts to behave in a dignified manner Jews call that "kiddush Hashem", sanctification of our beliefs about God. (If we get into the nitty gritty of ulterior motives, of course, we will see some dovetailing, but that is often no problem.)

could you write this more simply please? Fool

Joie de Vivre wrote:
The other point you make is that love is not a choice, and I think that is an erroneous belief. Sometimes love is not a good choice or very promising, and sometimes as with any choice one has become habituated to a sense that it cannot be undone, and sometimes emotions are just that powerful, but it is still a choice and an individual's response to certain emotions, thoughts and environments. Examples of people who don't always see they are making a choice: Foster parents; Women who side with their abuser; Gays who find themselves incurably sensitive and effeminate; Perverts who stalk obsessively; Arranged newlyweds; everyone else.

:S i still think love is different and i will probably, embarrasingly, go back on my word later :/

isn't this mentioned in the Quran? (to love and hate for the sake of Allah)

love in this sense (i think) doesn't mean to be in love with the person but to like them (love is a strong word).

example:

someone disrespects the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) (potential disbelief, all aml wiped away), you will hate that person for what they have done even though they are your friend because the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is Allah's beloved. so hating them for the sake of Allah.

you have a friend or you know someone, you don't like them but you will put up with them for the sake of Allah, because he/she is a Muslim.

make sense?

Joie de Vivre wrote:

could you write this more simply please? Fool

Grrr, I'm not sure. Take as your concept of Allah, all the energy or whatever mystical stuff it is that makes the universe work, and makes coincidences happen, and what causes our existence to take the form of a particular timespan in which we can do good. Completely depersonalise Allah. In that sense everything that you do for a good future you do in honour of that mystical force, sometimes overpowering your own emotions through your commitment.

Joie de Vivre wrote:

:S i still think love is different and i will probably, embarrasingly, go back on my word later :/

So that's the other thing I'm saying. A love from commitment is in one way much stronger than a love from emotions, and in another way much more controlled. It is also possible for two people to commit to being together but not to make space for love, or for two people's love to come so naturally as to warrant commitment, which is of course the ideal, but when not every day is like that, beliefs on the subject become significant.

ooh i understand now! Smile

Joie wrote:
Grrr, I'm not sure

lol sorry im just not as intelligent as you...yet Blum 3

lol sorry im just not as intelligent as you...yet Blum 3

I can't accept that, sorry for being unclear first time round. Biggrin

u completely ignored me when i wrote in CAPITALS that i am not cleverer than you

how rude

:/

and i don't care what u say, i'll always think and KNOW it Biggrin

You're snowing me, I don't believe you are cleverer. There was a time when I would have said that and secretly entertained my doubts, but I'm for real.

Joie de Vivre wrote:
You're snowing me,

i am what-ing u? Fool

Joie de Vivre wrote:
I don't believe you are cleverer.

thank you for admitting the truth Smile

Joie de Vivre wrote:

[/quote]
Oops. Guess I haven't changed as much as all that, and well spotted. So what does that say?

Smile

Joie de Vivre wrote:

Joie de Vivre wrote:

Oops. Guess I haven't changed as much as all that, and well spotted. So what does that say?

Smile

i don't know? what does it say?

i think it says ur human cuz u made a mistake lol

or did u want me to think u actually think too much of urself? lol

I got told that loving someone for the sake of Allah(swt) is that they remind u of Him etc. Before tht it was also something I didnt rlly get

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

something about they meet and depart for the sake of Allah.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

@Joey - I just re-read your first post, and actually understood it. Biggrin I've grown up.