Mixed schools v Single sex schools?

Hello everyone!

im new on this forum, try 2 be nice

when sitting in one of my lessons, my mind wandered due to sheer boredom and it led to this trail of thought:

When leaving Primary School, every Muslim parent in our area had the great dilemma of deciding which High School to send their kids to

My parents were the same when my eldest sister left primary school

however, my dad was adamant that an only girls school was the best option for all of us and therefore all 3 of us ended up going to an only girls school

however, me being the rebel in the family, finally snapped in my third year and after several meetings with the head i ended up moving 2 a mixed school

My dad didn't speak 2 me for a year, purely on the basis i went against the family rule, which was 'all the kids will go to a single sex school'.

My mum on the other hand was very supportive. She understood my reasons and supported my move all the way

after experiencing both a single sex school (for 3 years) and a mixed school (for 2 years), personally i would never send my kids to a single sex school

i would leave it up to them to decide

Muslim parents live under the illusion that single sex schools are so much more moral and the people there are so much more sensible

i think its the total opposite

at the end of the day, when we all left high school, we all ended up going to a mixed college anyway (so what was the point in sending us to single sex school?)

the difference is, my sisters found it hard to settle back into an enviroment where we have to mix with the opposite sex

whereas i have not had this problem

do people really believe single sex schools are better then mixed schools?

Asalamualaikum!

Welcum to the group sis, dnt worry i wnt b harsh on u Lol

I believe that nowdayz theres no much difference in single sex skools n mixed skools.

So, no i wnt say single sex skools r betta becoz in life we hav to wrk,college etc....n at sum point we will hav 2 communicate wid the opposite sex.

Ive personally spoken to pple dat went to a single sex skool n they themselves hav sed dat its really hard 4 them wen they r in a mixed environment.

I no that there r various reasons y parents choose single skools but if we c nowdayz society, theres no difference :roll:

"Duniya toh badalti rehti hai...Ey mere Quaid tuh kabhi Na badal janaa"

Welcome sis, hope u enjoy it here, and we wont bite Blum 3

As for single school, i had a choice to go to either that or mixed and i chose mixed mainly cuz i my mates went to a mixed school but partially cuz the uniform was ugly! (all brown!)

If a person goes to single sex school like you said they have to later go on to study at uni/college which is mixed. Also the importance for woman to learn knowledge cannot be expressed enough, women are needed as teachers, in the medicine field, the world is movin on, pushing women aside is not the answer.

Women should educate themselves and work and they can do so with their full hijab on ( i think ppl see women as fitna!) but if a women keeps her modesty likewise with the men then there should be no problem.

Salaam

hmmmmmmm........obviously we all gotta go into the mixed world, but i reckon it depends on the person

some grow strong and know thier limits having come from Single sex schools. on the other hand, some people go mixed schools but dont know any limits.

but then again, ive seen people go single sex Islamic schools....and get up to no good outside school..........but people go mixed school and be really good.

i think it all depends on the person, but most importantly - their upbringing at home

if you can get good education and tarbiyat from home, u'll be ready for the outside world

depends on schools as well, some are genuinly crap

i went mixed school, im just glad my two little brothers didnt - my youngest bro went to the same mixed school as me for year 7, hated it and now hes enjoying single sex grammer schools

so..........theres no answer from me lol

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Assalamu Alaikum,

There's positives and negatives in each type of school. I have often heard that stats show students perform better in same sex schools, rather than mixed comprehensives.

I went to a mixed comprehensive and from my experience a mixed school can mean students are distracted by the opposite gender. Not because they're so handsome etc, but because there's this social pressure to be popular, date smoke, and club etc. Studying is not part of this so called "cool" image. As a result I saw lots of boys and girls come out with poor grades because they were more interested in a social life with opp gender, rather than studying. Not that I didn't have a social life lool, but you understand what I mean, hopefully!

I've not been to an all girls school, but my sister has. Since leaving the school she got married soon after. But a few years ago she started working in a hospital. She often has to deal with female and male consultants. It's the inevitable part of life. She is very capable of communicating with her male colleagues despite being educated in an all girls school. This hasn't held her back at all. If anything it's made her realise how to deal with the opposite gender in a modest way. She deals with them when necessary. She isn't cold and rude. She doesn't engage in office banter with women or men. Basically she sets down her rules, it's her way of maintaining her privacy, and those around her know not ever to pass a dirty joke by her. If anything her education has put her in good stead.

On the otherhand I went to a mixed school, and I can't say it's made me more confident in dealing with the opposite gender by default. I still prefer to keep chit chat with them to the bare minimum. I don't take part in their banter, so I tend not to hear the conquests they made in the pub the night before etc. Because of this I believe I receive more respect than many other women around me.

So I think you can learn to adapt to mixed gender situations. It all depends on how you conduct yourself. No one should assume non muslims are more confident in dealing with the opposite gender naturallly because they mix more, as there are many who don't mix other than amongst their own families, and there are those who are shy and retiring, and those who just prefer to keep themselves to themselves.

Also students who go to same sex schools are often seen as the wild ones at college. I don't think this is a result of suddenly being exposed to the opposite gender, because I'm sure most these students had other opportunities of mixing, unless they went to a boarding school. It's more to do with how strict the school was, and their parents were. Having control freaks for parents can have irreversible effects, whether you attend a mixed school or not.

Question: Many muslim boys and girls are being sent to same sex schools in the belief it will instill a superior sense of modesty or morality in them, but how many of these same students mix with the opposite gender in family gatherings (with non mahrams i mean)? Why do parents deem this "ok"?

How many are seen to be hanging out with the opposite gender as soon as school breaks up? I've seen this in an all girls muslim school, as i was parked up in brum, waiting for my bro to get some desi groceries lol. Without batting an eyelid my sister casually told me "oh yeah that's normal around here". I just said "but..but i thght it was a muslim girls school, it's not a secular girls school". What's the world coming to.

I know it's a bit of a trend for some muslim parents to send their kids to catholic or other christian schools, over state schools. Because the level of education is usually better. They also believe the morals and ethos of the schools are superior, and it can ensure the protection of their girls chastity more so. I had a few friends who used to attend such schools, they were extremely well mannered. But whether that's a reflection of the school I don't know. Any thghts?

"yashmaki" wrote:

I've not been to an all girls school, but my sister has. She is very capable of communicating with her male colleagues despite being educated in an all girls school. This hasn't held her back at all. If anything it's made her realise how to deal with the opposite gender in a modest way. She deals with them when necessary. She isn't cold and rude. She doesn't engage in office banter with women or men. Basically she sets down her rules, it's her way of maintaining her privacy, and those around her know not ever to pass a dirty joke by her. If anything her education has put her in good stead.

thats what im talkin about when i say it depends on the person. your sis is a good example of why single sex schools are good.

obviously it dont work for all.......tha nature of some people means they rebel and cant wait to freemix or get up to no good, i knw people who went islamic high school for girls and came out dodgy, but then again my sister went there and came out perfect alhamdulillah (she already was Blum 3 )

who here is planning on sending thier kids to Single sex schools? or is contemplating doing so

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

free mixing is a norm in the west... which leads to Audltry and fornication hence all the family and marriage breakups... eg oofice affairs :x

Gossip is the most destructive thing in the universe...

Well I want to send my child to a traditional islamic school, obviously these are same sex only. But at the same time I want my child to have a realistic view of life. To be aware of other ppls beliefs and cultures, and respect them.

But how well do these traditional schools in the UK teach about subjects besides religion? I mean history, geography, English Literature, Sciences etc. I want their education to reach a high standard at all levels not just the religious area.

As I understand it not many of these schools exist? Only a few good ones? Or am I mistaken.

I'm under the impression that non religious subjects would be better studied outside the madrassa system, am I being unfair what do you think?

I'm quite keen on home education but I realise the major pitfalls to this are isolation time and money. But students can link up with other home study pupils.

I'm not keen on encouraging my child to mix when it can be avoided at school. Work is a different issue, if money is needed then mixing is unavoidable. But for some reason I've got a bad opinion of state funded girls schools, can't explain it.

inshallah all my children are gonna go to day boarding islamic schools where they teach all subjects just like normal state schools,where u can also do hifz and alim courses not boarding schools like i went to...i will also give them lessons at home as i believe it to be very important

i hope my future huzzy agrees.

theres some great ones in blackburn i believe

i dont know why but i wouldnt want my children to go to mixed high schools etc....i went to a single sex school myself coz thats what my dad wanted and it was also 10 mins away, but the girls were just as bad maybe worse than the local mixed school, we had a bad reputation, then again it depends on the individual itself

i aint even married yet but i fear how my children will turn out, i know familys who have educated they children so well islamically and bought them up in their best possible ways but the kids go all wrong,i pray to allah not to grant me children if they arent gonna be obedient god fearing coz i wont be able to take the pressure

i g2g nw chat2u properly nxt time inshallah.. bt ive studied in islamic boardin 4 3yrs n nw at uni..i think i have a better outlook on life thn other students who have not experienced islamic education or who have nt been to an islamic environment... i always have akhira in mind and look beyond this dunya to akhira... i think we need both but islamic education is more important cos as muslims the most important factor is to try n please Allah... dont force ur child to madrasah rather encourage him and tell him of the benefits and the beauty of islam... my parents used to threaten me by telling me thy gna sends me to madrasah weneva i was nawty lol thats a v wrng approach as it gives the wrng msg out-like madrasah is a place 4 punishment n a prison.. bt in realty madrasa's r a place wre u learn islam-the beautifull way of life-the words of our prophet saw.. grrr g2g

Gossip is the most destructive thing in the universe...

Salam

"Salma" wrote:
Hello everyone!

Why ?

I am sure that you are a very special person. But please tell us why should we be nice just to you ?

I think that everyone should be nice to everyone else.

Its not nice to discrimination and be nice only to you Salam.

Omrow

"yashmaki" wrote:

Question: Many muslim boys and girls are being sent to same sex schools in the belief it will instill a superior sense of modesty or morality in them, but how [b]many of these same students mix with the opposite gender in family gatherings (with non mahrams i mean)? Why do parents deem this "ok"? [/b]
How many are seen to be hanging out with the opposite gender as soon as school breaks up? I've seen this in an all girls muslim school, as i was parked up in brum, waiting for my bro to get some desi groceries lol. Without batting an eyelid my sister casually told me "oh yeah that's normal around here". I just said "but..but i thght it was a muslim girls school, it's not a secular girls school". What's the world coming to.

MashaALLAH a very gud post.

Addressing your two points. I think Muhtarama has raised A VERY IMPORTANT point about mixing at home with ghayr mahram relatives. There is no logic in this, nor does it make sense to have daughetrs going to girls skul and then letting em get all dolled up for mixed gatherings, it causes confusion in the child and is not beneficial.

secondly which girls skul in bham is Muhtarama on abt?

Personally I find that infuriating, particularly if its an islamic skul. For student of religious knowledge to sit for hours in skul learning Quran and Hadeeth and then to go out at the end and have bad relations with the opposite gender, in my view is a major swear and insult at the Quran and Hadeeth. It makes my blood boil, I wud rather they flirt and have bf/gf in state skul than they sit and touch the Pure books of deen infront of teachers, and then come out swear on the pure books by having illicit relations.

I went to all boys secondary skul and alhamdulillah am glad, i h8 uni. Even the ''sisters'' as they put it who wear a scarf feel no shame in coming upto me and tryin to have a chat, I dnt have a problem being blunt and too the point and keeping convo to a min. May ALLAH keep me like that.

What I find is that wearing sunnah libaas helps a lot in stopping me from evil, wearing an imamah is the ultimate protection and brothers I recommend it MOST STRONGLY.

So yeh, i think single sex are better, i dnt have a problem with women, i just dnt have anything to say to them bcos i grew up without chatting em up or anything so I dnt feel the need to do any such haraam activties now, alhamdulillah.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"naj" wrote:
inshallah all my children are gonna go to day boarding islamic schools where they teach all subjects just like normal state schools,where u can also do hifz and alim courses not boarding schools like i went to...i will also give them lessons at home as i believe it to be very important

i hope my future huzzy agrees.

theres some great ones in blackburn i believe

i aint even married yet but i fear how my children will turn out, i know familys who have educated they children so well islamically and bought them up in their best possible ways but the kids go all wrong,i pray to allah not to grant me children if they arent gonna be obedient god fearing coz i wont be able to take the pressure

I agree with Muhtarama on the point abt sending em to a day islamic skul in uk. But personally if I had sons who I had confidence in, I would send them abroad to deoband or karachi to learn cos the madaris there are WAY better. No offence to the darul ulooms here or to the respected asatizah, they are doing a FANTASTIC job, but when I went to darul uloom karachi the atmosphere was TOTALLY different, even compared to bury and kidminster.

I also worry abt my kids. LOL. I also pray same thing. If ALLAH gave me a choice between 100 pious god fearing daughters and one normal average son I would ask for the daughters, withouy blinking an eye. Kids who work on deen and for ALLAH are what I pray for, may ALLAH grant us all the most pious offspring and make them true follower of Holy Prophet salallahu alayhi wa sallam. ameen.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

"Salma" wrote:
Hello everyone!

Why ?

I am sure that you are a very special person. But please tell us why should we be nice just to you ?

Omrow

Its people like you Omrow to whom the message applies to.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

The thing with islamic schools is that your kids are likely to struggle to get on with people who are not muslims in uni/college/ because they have been in a environemnt where there are only muslims. They are also likely to not be as opended minded about other peoples beliefs and religions. I'm sure this is not the case for all muslims who have been islamic school. But there was a girl i knew who went to a islamic school but her parents couldn't afford it so sent her to the same high school as me which was an only girls school. She made friends with muslims but struggled to get on with others who weren't muslims.

"Naz" wrote:

She made friends with muslims but struggled to get on with others who weren't muslims.

that happens with a lot tho

schools dont play a major factor in that

you can see it at mixed schools even - the diffrent 'groups' are evident

im not gona criticise Single sex schools - as i believe it was most beneficial to my brothers and my sister, having gone to Islamic schools in manchester

....but sometimes the schools are lacking in terms of teaching subjects which arent Islamic (Quran, Arabic, RE etc)......and they quite often lack resources...........and cost too much

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

But there aren't many good madrassa here in the uk that offer a good GCSE and A-Level curriculum together with a traditional alim/alima course. Most seem to be lacking in the secular subjects.

The good ones seem to be located in Bury, Kidderminster, Bradford, Leicester has a few and Al huda girls school in Nottingham(could be others)

Med would you go abroad with your kids or send them there alone?Is the price of studying abroad more or less the same as studying here in the uk?

I ask because I've heard of institutions like one in Pakistan called the Quran school. It's a charitable organisation, so it doesn't charge extortionate fees, especially to those who can't afford it. They only take in children at a very young age. They get taught hifz to an amazing level, and turn out the most beautiful Qaris. It seems as if you can get more for your money abroad??

I don't have kids yet but the thought of putting them in a boarding school even a few miles from me seems heart breaking. I realise in the long run it's for their good. But I don't know if I can do it.

My husband is mid way through a similar course so he can assist me in the early stages of education, tajweed, hifz etc. But if I seriously wanted my child to know their religion to an excellent level then I'd have to make some sacrifices, even if it meant only seeing my child in the weekends, or major holidays.

Isn't money a deciding factor as to where kids are placed? It's not always the case that parents don't care about their religion is it?

P.S Med it wasn't a girls madrassa that I saw them mixing in, it was a muslim girls school, sister said it's a state funded one. The difference is in the latter you get an islamic ethos, and maybe 1 lesson daily on Islam, and the rest is secular subjects. Madrassa are more intensive on the Islamic subjects. But I'm sure you knew that.

"Omrow" wrote:
Salam

"Salma" wrote:
Hello everyone!

Why ?

Omrow

no need to get defensive dear, it was an optional request

if u don't want 2, thats fine, its a free country!

Salaam

I have attended both types of schools….

I was happier in the mixed school because girls in an all girl’s school can be very mean…

I wouldn’t say that free-mixing was more or less in either school.

In every girls school, religious or not there’s always a bunch of guys standing outside.

Personally, I’m not fussed about what kind of school my kids attend. I have studied and worked in all sorts of school..they aren’t all that different to one another.

But, I feel that attending a public school and not succumbing to the temptation that’s in your face 24/7, results in Muslims who are of higher Iman and Taqwa as opposed to those or have little or no opportunities to be tempted.

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: "He who mixes with people and endures their mischeif is better rewarded than he who does not mix with people and does not endure their mischeif." Tirmidhi

Wasalaam

Nice to see so many open minded people

i was expecting everyone to instantly disagree and say single sex schools are better

i suppose in the end it does matter upon the person rather than the school they go to

however, i feel parents really need to start trusting their kids to make that decision for themselves

Totally agree with you MuslimSister, girls can be mean Cray 2

i remeber going to school (single sex school), and the last stop on the bus was Manchester town centre

most of the girls use to get on with their scarves on, from the bus stop and by the time they got to manchester (instead of school), the scarf would be off, and they would already be on their mobiles arranging to meet up with God knows who

and their poor parents are under the impresion that their good little girls have gone to school to study

why is it that the minority let us down

Parents allow 11 year olds to make the decision?

Actually ten year olds, as they need to decide before they start and need to apply/enrol etc.

Its the decision of the parent. Allwing kids to mae this decision is a cop out and ould lead to disaster. At the end of the day if the kid still messes up, they can say they tried...

Obviously they will need to convince the kids aswell.

Most kids wanna go to the school of their friends. Thwy will not care wether its a good school, or a bad one. Nor if its mixed or segregated.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Eleven year olds shouldnt be allowed to make the final decision, however their feelings do need to be taken into consideration.

If they are totally against a school for whatever reason...they may never be happy or successful there.

"Admin" wrote:
Parents allow 11 year olds to make the decision?

Actually ten year olds, as they need to decide before they start and need to apply/enrol etc.

Its the decision of the parent. Allwing kids to mae this decision is a cop out and ould lead to disaster. At the end of the day if the kid still messes up, they can say they tried...

Obviously they will need to convince the kids aswell.

Most kids wanna go to the school of their friends. Thwy will not care wether its a good school, or a bad one. Nor if its mixed or segregated.

as hard as it is for me to admit, you have a good point

i suppose 10/11 isn't exactly an age of maturity, so i don't suppose the deicision can be left to kids

however, we can still educate our parents as to what schools are really like

my parents hated the idea of mixed schools, up till the day i ended up going to one

now they are much more tolerant of them and have a better understanding of what schools are really like

The only thing that i really missed out on by going to a non islamic only girls school is not be able to explore/learn more about islam and the Quran. Everything i know i learnt from my mum.

"yashmaki" wrote:
But there aren't many good madrassa here in the uk that offer a good GCSE and A-Level curriculum together with a traditional alim/alima course. Most seem to be lacking in the secular subjects.

That is true, but personally I am of the opinion of the old traditional school, viz that madaris should be places which teach deen exclusively. I know a lot of people are gonna disagree but let me finish my point. Before partition in sub-continent and even now people call for secular subjects to be taught in the madaris and that is peoples lack of insight. The Elders of Deoband were strongly against introducing the secular sciences into the madaris because the madrassah is a holy institute; a religious school CANNOT become a secular school, but a secular school can become a religious one. Ie in madaris they should stick with deen, but should introduce a lot more deen into the secular subjects.

Put it like this, no1 says that a person who goes to med school, or dental school etc should have hifz classes do they? Evry1 understands that med school/ dental school etc is a plce to study and train for medicine/dentistry and this is because we understand such subjects to be demanding and so those schools should be solely dedicated to teaching their course. Well, why is it that people think that deen is so light and easy that we can pollute it with secular subjects? A person goes to med school to be a medic, a person goes to madrassah to be hafiz/alim etc. No1 says that if u go med school u cant later go to madrassah, no1 says that if u go madrassah u cant later go to med school. The two are NOT mutually exclusive, but personally I think the madrassah should be kept as they are. The secular subjects are a requirement in this country and hence have to be included, but no doubt the main role of madaris is to distribute religious knowledge. Perhaps muslims should facilitate institutions for graduates from madrassah to do A levels etc in, but they should be kept seperate from the madrassah.

"yashmaki" wrote:

Med would you go abroad with your kids or send them there alone?Is the price of studying abroad more or less the same as studying here in the uk?

Muhtarama I have not decided where I am gonna live in long term, but certainly the situation here is worrying. Protecting ones deen and ones family in this society I see as very difficult. In my family imagine I am the only person who has a true beard, thats INCLUDING my extended bradri of thousands in bham and rochdale. And of the extended bradri we only have a handful of establishers of prayer, me being the youngest, and the rest being hujjaj sahibaan. That is not a good sign.

Regards price, alhamdulillah its free. No1 is expected to contribute because the institutions are run by charity. Hence in theory, one could send a son to darul uloom abroad, he would study for 8 years dars e nizami, get food, housing, allowance and u wudnt pay a thing. But, I think for UK ppl, it is shameful not to contribute, but nothing is asked for.

If I was confident in my sons, I would send them alone. But personally I am desperate to get a sanad from deoband, so I would feel no shame in enrolling with my son for the same class. Basically I havent decided yet. FYO, a friend of mine studies in darul uloom karachi, he comes back twice a yr and his parents are happy.

"yashmaki" wrote:

but the thought of putting them in a boarding school even a few miles from me seems heart breaking.

lol. If Muhtarama didnt find it heartbreaking then it would be something to worry about. ALLAH has made the mothers hearts soft and this is from HIS mercy. Thats why the ladies would get so much reward for sending their sons away to madrassah, because they fight their motherhood and sacrifice their love for their kids for the sake of ALLAH. SubhanALLAH.
Personally Im not too sure abt boarding schools in uk, if u wanna go for deen, then go for the top institutions. I recommend Muhtarama's husband to go to darul uloom in indo-pak, jus perhaps for 3 days and he will find it amazing , then he will be able to make a good decision in regards to he family.

"yashmaki" wrote:

My husband is mid way through a similar course so he can assist me in the early stages of education, tajweed, hifz etc.

MashaALLAH, may ALLAH crown the brother with knowledge and make him a server of deen and make him a true alim, and us also. ameen
Obviously, basics can be taught at home, but the atmosphere in a darul uloom is on a next level.

May ALLAH grant us pious offspring, may He make us parents of ulama and shuhadaa. ameen Ya Rabb

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
"yashmaki" wrote:

That is true, but personally I am of the opinion of the old traditional school, viz that madaris should be places which teach deen exclusively. I know a lot of people are gonna disagree but let me finish my point. Before partition in sub-continent and even now people call for secular subjects to be taught in the madaris and that is peoples lack of insight. The Elders of Deoband were strongly against introducing the secular sciences into the madaris because the madrassah is a holy institute; a religious school CANNOT become a secular school, but a secular school can become a religious one. Ie in madaris they should stick with deen, but should introduce a lot more deen into the secular subjects.

Put it like this, no1 says that a person who goes to med school, or dental school etc should have hifz classes do they? Evry1 understands that med school/ dental school etc is a plce to study and train for medicine/dentistry and this is because we understand such subjects to be demanding and so those schools should be solely dedicated to teaching their course. Well, why is it that people think that deen is so light and easy that we can pollute it with secular subjects? A person goes to med school to be a medic, a person goes to madrassah to be hafiz/alim etc. No1 says that if u go med school u cant later go to madrassah, no1 says that if u go madrassah u cant later go to med school. The two are NOT mutually exclusive, but personally I think the madrassah should be kept as they are. The secular subjects are a requirement in this country and hence have to be included, but no doubt the main role of madaris is to distribute religious knowledge. Perhaps muslims should facilitate institutions for graduates from madrassah to do A levels etc in, but they should be kept seperate from the madrassah.

salaam

the british are famous for divide and rule.... the west wanted to divide islam in to religion and politics, religious and secular, traditional and modern etc...
Med and the Deoband ulema- with all due respect- have fallen for this trap...nothing persoanl here, just my opinion and what i have seen.

Islam is a deen. not just a religion.just teachimg quran, hadith, fiqh, arabic- is not islam.
Islam deals with each and every subject under the sun.
Islam deals with every subject that faces that community, every community, every time.
Islam deals with politics, different political systems, politics of the prophet (saw), what does islam say about democracy, socialism, communism etc...
this should be taught in madrassa to equip the student of Islam today.

How can you be a qualified, up tp date, scholar, student of islam if you havent been taught the many sciences- biology, chemistry, physics, embryology, cosmology, etc.
the madrassah should teach you what secular science says, what darwinism says, big bang, einsteins theories etc...and what islam says about sciences.
Your madrassah should teach you history, not just islamic history, but compare it britsh history, american history etc...then that student will know his islam an dcompare it to western histories. eg compare constitution of madina and treaty of hudaybiyah to magna carta, UN charter etc

A madrassah that is worth anything should teach classical islam AND modern secular issues, gives answer to these secular ideas, histroies, theories through islam.

a madrassah should teach in detail about technology, business, marketing, art, computer studies...
BECAUSE a student of Islam should be succesful in deen and dunya, he should know his/her Islam but also know his society, his environment, his age, the people around him, teh concepts that exist.

Today madrassahs just teach classical, traditional Islam which produces knowledegable people but who dont fit in western societies, who end up hating the west, who are narrow minded to a certain extent, who only know their own sect, school of thought, who are unaware of modern, contemporary, scientic issues, theories, debates etc...

A succesful madrassah/ institute is one who teaches the traditional and modern , religious and secular, english and arabic.

Med, this is not an attack on you- you know we dont agree on anything...these are just my thoughts, dont take it persoanlly please.

wasallaam

Ed its not just Deobandi Ulema.

Most madaris are now exclusive and do not each anything else.

Its a great loss.

One that all scholars mourn, but do nothing to rectify.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
Ed its not just Deobandi Ulema.

Most madaris are now exclusive and do not each anything else.

Its a great loss.

One that all scholars mourn, but do nothing to rectify.

im not having a go at deobandis or deobandi madrassahs, it also applies to brelwi madrassahs and ulema, salfi, jamaat islami etc...

I know. So I was pointing your bad wording where you only named deobandi.

However, there are alot of scholars that still think the earth is flat! :shock:

And that is after the muslims who calculated the curvature of the earth in the first few centuries of the spread of islam! (they used the sun and how its ligt would graduallt spread over the earth to calculaet the curvature).

Alot of scholars in Indian subcontinent thought it was a British myth, and forgot the earlier islamic roots as I have mentioned above.

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:

Med, this is not an attack on you- you know we dont agree on anything...these are just my thoughts, dont take it persoanlly please.

You are entitled to your views. Yes I agree that the ulama should be widely read, they should knw abt secular subjects, they should be aware of how modern economics work, what shaped british society, what shaped indian society, where politicla theories come from. I dont have issue with ulama knowing secular knowledge, but in my view there is a time and place for everything.

Alhamdulillah I know quite a few ulama who graduated from darul uloom at age 19/20, then went to uni and hold degrees from there aswell.

Ed, I dont really wanna get into a debate but in my view the ulama of deoband have not fallen into anytrap.

It should be noted that ulama of deoband are active in many fields, and funnily enough ulama of deoband are accused of being too rigid and strict because they insist on islamic attire, on islamic appearance, on giving ruling on every aspect of private and public life so how they are seen as seperating deen from the world is not in my understanding.

Sipah e Sahabah - working in defence of Sahabah Karaam
Khatm e Nubuwwah - working in defence of finality of Prophethood
JUI - working in politics in pak
Jaysh e Muhammad salallahu alayhi wa sallam - working in defence of oppressed muslims of kashmir
Tablighi Jama'ah - working in dawat o tableegh
Major Darul Uloom in indo-pak - working in the field of teaching and disseminating knowledge
Ar Rasheed trust - working in charity
the list goes on.

Ulama of deoband are involved in:

defence of Khatm e Nubuwwah
defence of Sahabah
working for political islam
defence of oppressed
disseminating knwoledge
dawat o tableegh.

How they are splitting the religion from the secular is beyond me.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

I personally think studying abroad is much better, although it cud be hard for some girls as long as you are in good care then it is fine, i would love to study in Pak i.e Minhaj-ul-Quran or in Syria.

All in all what is the point of single sex schools?

Pages