"To be trusted is more important than to be loved."

Breaking trust out from

Discuss.

I think it is possible to function without trust. It just involves a basic risk/benefit analysis - are you willing to risk the negative in order to aim for the positive?

Are you willing you risk a bus driver potentially being drunk or something other that could potentially result in a crash in order to get to work?

{raises eyebrow}

erm no im not willing to risk that!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

you risk it everytime you get on a bus. you just tell you self that you trust the driver, who is a random stranger and you have no idea what he is going through in his life... what if he is suicidal?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

To function without trust.

Do people generally trust anyone at all anyway, until they do something for you not to trust them?

To a degree - it is normal and part of society.

Then there will be some that you will trust more - maybe because they had a chance to abuse your trust and didn't, or because you understand them better or some other reason.

And then there will be people you trust less - that may be because they may abuse the trust or some other reason such as having a different view on matters than you.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I would never, ever love someone that I didnt trust. Its interlinked for me.

If I didnt trust someone it would be cos I felt he/she was a liar, dishonest, shady, sneaky etc...and thats not someone I could ever love.

MuslimSister wrote:

What about family?

e.g. when kids lie to their parents or the parents know they can't trust their child...it doesn't stop the parents loving their kid...?

well when i get onto a bus i just think "its gonna get me from A to B" (not even the driver but "it") i guess expecting to get there safely would be the same as trusting.

i think trust and love are as important as each other not one is more important and there are different kinds of trust, you don't have to always trust someone to love them and vise versa imo.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

wednesday wrote:
A bond between a parent and a child (especially mothers) is nothing like that of "bond" between person A and person B. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, I completely agree. I just assumed we were talking about love generally.

MuslimSister wrote:

If I didnt trust someone it would be cos I felt he/she was a liar, dishonest, shady, sneaky etc...and thats not someone I could ever love.

Can you honestly say that you've never lied to someone that you love?

And also, one of the only halaal situations to lie is between a husband and wife. What does that say about Allah's (swt) opinion on the relationship between love and trust?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

That hadith only refers to white lies, ie.
Habeeba: Do I look fat in this?
Husband: (silently) A little bit, no I can't say that! (out loud) No, of course not!

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

"To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved." - George MacDonald

The Lamp wrote:
That hadith only refers to white lies, ie.
Habeeba: Do I look fat in this?
Husband: (silently) A little bit, no I can't say that! (out loud) No, of course not!

How do you know Sheikh?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

It was posted on here before, "Sheikh". ;P

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Trusting some one before you love them makes more sense because surely love grows. Trust amogst each other is vital to have amogst each other other wise it makes life more complex!

Any one agree?

WHat if you trust and love someone, and then the trust is broken?

I doubt the love would just evaporate - human life is more messy than that and sometimes you will hate yourself for caring etc... but I doubt it will be all black and white.

You wrote:
WHat if you trust and love someone, and then the trust is broken?

I doubt the love would just evaporate - human life is more messy than that and sometimes you will hate yourself for caring etc... but I doubt it will be all black and white.

i was gna write that but u beat me to it! not exactly that obviously. Smile

Is it too much to ask for both?

Back in BLACK

Depends on the person.