Muslims In Scotland Info Please!

Assalamu Alaikum,

I'm thinking of moving to Scotland for various reasons, and since we have family there it seems like a good starting point. So I've been told to research Scotland. I'm sure someone here is scottish, but can't remember who??

Is it a good place to move into as a Muslim? What area in Scot is best for Muslims as far as islamic resources go mosques, islamic institutions etc, and of course asian food groceries etc.

Is there an active community, lots of dawah work, islamic classes , lectures etc?

What are interfaith relations like good, bad, poor non existant?

*Important need to know if there are alim classes available for husband, he'd have to transfer over.

And any other information about the local areas would be helpful.

Please get back soon.

Jazak'Allah

Gotta run now

well ya baable ta spek de lenguej?

(I know its lame... and my translitteration is way off)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Both my English Lit teachers were Scottish does that count? One of them had a very strong scot accent, and I was excellent at understanding him, much to the annoyance of my classmates, who'd be like wah? wot did he say lool. I love the accent don't diss it lol

I know there are alot of muslims in glasgow. Don't know about the rest.

One thing I liked when I visited a few years ago was how everything was big.

Down here, houses are small, streets are small etc. Everything there just seemes bigger.

Besides Scotland has a lower population density than england.... enjoy the countryside!

angel is the one who will probably be able to give you some answers. The rest of us just tekin da meck.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

pollockfield or was it pollockshaw?

the only place i heard of in glasgow lol

i hear its a lil ruff in glasgow :shock:

good news for Angel no doubt, she has her 1st actual friend!! Lol

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

lolz, its pollocks shields..yes Glasgow has lots of muslims and Asians (I have a friend from there) there is an all girls madrassa in Glasgow (agian, Scottish friend told me) apparently pollocks shields is the scottish version of green street :roll: Edinburgh (again another friend) has a mixed population, not as many muslims/Asians as Glasgow.

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

go on Edinburgh then lol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"yashmaki" wrote:
Assalamu Alaikum,

I'm thinking of moving to Scotland for various reasons, and since we have family there it seems like a good starting point. So I've been told to research Scotland. I'm sure someone here is scottish, but can't remember who??

Is it a good place to move into as a Muslim? What area in Scot is best for Muslims as far as islamic resources go mosques, islamic institutions etc, and of course asian food groceries etc.

Is there an active community, lots of dawah work, islamic classes , lectures etc?

What are interfaith relations like good, bad, poor non existant?

*Important need to know if there are alim classes available for husband, he'd have to transfer over.

And any other information about the local areas would be helpful.

Please get back soon.

Jazak'Allah

Gotta run now

yiiiiiipeeeee you should come.

I'll give you a lil info on pollokshieds since 2 ppl have already mentioned it, its like a majority pakistani area, it has 3 mosques which aint too far from each other, it has many clothes shops, also a bookshop which is very useful......it has many many grocery stores and fruit shops. I duno what green st is like so i wudnt knw if it is like it.

There are many islamic classes, but i dont attend many due to difference in Aqaid issues. Also ppl i know tend to events for women ie. muharram, Milad-un-Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) etc.

As for alim courses for your husband i am not sure, i'll try findin out for you....overall glasgow has many muslims. Also the relationship between other faiths is pretty good in my opinion....Also ignore admin you will get the hang of the accent, i wish you come Smile

Where bouts does your family stay?

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
pollockfield or was it pollockshaw?

the only place i heard of in glasgow lol

i hear its a lil ruff in glasgow :shock:

good news for Angel no doubt, she has her 1st actual friend!! Lol

lol it aint pollokfield!!!!!! its Polloksheilds, your closer with the 2nd one "pollockshaw" thats a diff. area called "pollokshaws", there used to be lil gangs of ppl but that was yrs ago its much quieter and peaceful now mashallah. Also there wasnt much violence after the 7/7 attacks which says quite a bit.

only 3 mosques? thats not much compared to say small heath in bham, or alum rock in bham.

Personally I wanna live in either dewsbury or batley cos they are nice, small and have some beautiful masajid.

SubhanALLAH! I went batley and literally they had 3 MASSIVE masajid on the same road. One was a bit down the road and TWO were LITERALLY across the road. and im not exaggerating. If any1 ever goes to Batley, ask to go near Fox's Biscuit Factory and just up that road they got two HUGE masajid right opposite each other on the same road. That was beautiful.

Gujjeratis are good for teaching deen, but in other things they are somewhat lacking.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

should be one big mosque, or as many needed to accomodate the people

some places, like oldham and im sure many of these places mentioned - many many many mosques - all half full, except eid day of course

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

nah, i went in non ramadaan time and masjid was quite full,

thats one thng with gujeratis, they dont leave their namaz or their purdah. MashaALLAH the masajid were proper in use and busy. May ALLAH keep the masajid alive, ameen.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
only 3 mosques? thats not much compared to say small heath in bham, or alum rock in bham.

Polloksheilds aint a massive area besides there are many mosques near by in other areas.

"Med" wrote:

Gujjeratis are good for teaching deen, but in other things they are somewhat lacking.

alhamdulillah gujratis are excellent in teaching deen, most of jamia was gujratis , mashallah excellent people...what other things are they lacking in?

"naj" wrote:

alhamdulillah gujratis are excellent in teaching deen, most of jamia was gujratis , mashallah excellent people...what other things are they lacking in?

we say in urdu: gujerati jhookne mein bhot jaldi hoti hai. That they are quick to submit.

They mashaALLAH establish beautiful masajid but they are also not very brave people. Jack Straw got into his position because of votes from gujeratis, even though he has blood of so many muslims on his hands. Lord Adam Patel, mashaALLAH has a beard, but he is a loyal subject of labour party.

Lol. When there were the riots in oldham and burnley (?) i think there were fights and that between whites and pakis. When NF in bham go they gonna march through Alum Rock, all the MP boys were gettin ready for a fight. When NF go they gonna march in leicecter, all the gujjis hid in their homes and this is from first hand gujerati ulama who were complaining of how meek the gujeraties are.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Does admin have to keep splittin topics? wana discuss gujratis then take it to the no topic or if needed create another thread, this is about scotland.

Nah its just annoyin when admin keeps splitin topics, you come to a thread one min the post is there and the next its a gonner!

Neway bak to topic.

yes

Sister Yashmaki

dont go scotland Biggrin

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
yes

Sister Yashmaki

dont go scotland Biggrin

:evil:

your evil, it wud be good if she comes, i sure can learn a lot from her, a very clever sis!

I have given her info, lets see what she decides after she has done a thorough research....yash will you get used to the weather? you can say it does get a lil cold here.

dont listen to her :twisted:

its freezing, boring, dangerous, depressing to name a few attributes of Scotland

and if yo HAVE to go, stay away from Glasgow

and away from Angel, shes baaaaaad for you :evil:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
dont listen to her :twisted:

its freezing, boring, dangerous, depressing to name a few attributes of Scotland

and if yo HAVE to go, stay away from Glasgow

and away from Angel, shes baaaaaad for you :evil:

Whatever, i aint bad Cray 2 i am a nice person to everyone cept you!

Glasgow is a nice place it may be cold but its beautiful and has many nice ppl shame cant say the same for manchester/oldham

In manchester/Oldham the rain washes away our sins Daily. DAILY. we are the clean ones. daily forced to endure showers of rain.

Oh, that sounds negative...

oh what do you know angel Dirol

glasgow is a bueatiful place? yeah i remember studying gang culture and crime in sociology, and it was surprsing how often Glasgow was mentioned lol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Admin" wrote:
In manchester/Oldham the rain washes away our sins Daily. DAILY. we are the clean ones. daily forced to endure showers of rain.

Oh, that sounds negative...

Lol

ey, it aint been that bad!

the sun is always shining here, the birds come out ino flocks to sing, the people are happy, the town is buzzing, the people greeting Wink

move here Sister Yashmaki

just don forget to bring a baseball bat incase lol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Oldham aint rough!

Its dirty, downtrodden etc, but I would not call it rough.

Apart from riots.

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
oh what do you know angel Dirol

glasgow is a bueatiful place? yeah i remember studying gang culture and crime in sociology, and it was surprsing how often Glasgow was mentioned lol

Really? Depends where u were studin it, in manch uni/schools they probs just teach you rubbish anyway....

Admin we get more ran that you guys and not to mention snow, i love snow ball fights Blum 3

Its soo funny few yrs bak it was xmas and no snow and few weeks later its was Eid and it was snowing, a white eid!

we probably get more rain... as all the snow is mostly in a liquid form.

I would love to get a proper snowfall here, but it aint happened for years. (Therre was some this year.. but not enough! I want chaos. everything closed down. Look outside and all you can see is white....)

"Admin" wrote:
we probably get more rain... as all the snow is mostly in a liquid form.

I would love to get a proper snowfall here, but it aint happened for years. (Therre was some this year.. but not enough! I want chaos. everything closed down. Look outside and all you can see is white....)

Oh that would be fun, no uni no work, that would be heavenly.....its actally realy cold here at the mo,we never really had that good a summer.....when i speak 2 customers to ask what they weather is like down south they always say "oh its nice"

Admin, what oldham are you from?!

weve had proper snow, not this year yet but we have

and yes, we also had that White Eid too

t'was funny indeedy

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ