France Imams Against Translated Tarawih

Salaam

Interesting debate occuring in France between the scholars and the Muslim youths....share your views on the matter pls...
[b]
France Imams Against Translated Tarawih[/b]

Several French imams have rejected calls by young French Muslims for monitors displaying French translation of Qur'anic verses recited during Tarawih, urging them to learn Arabic, the original language of the Muslim holy book.

"From the Shari'ah point of view, getting into prayers, whether Tarawih or other prayers, requires reciting or listening to Qur’an in Arabic," Anis Qirqah, the director of Fatwa department at the Union of French Islamic Organizations (UOIF), told IslamOnline.net.

"Scholars have allowed holding and reading from the Qur'an during Tarawih prayers but only in Arabic."

Young Muslims, born and educated in France, have called for performing Tarawih prayers during the Muslim holy fasting month of Ramadan in French to break the language barrier and understand the meaning of the Noble Qur’an.

They further said that should the proposal be difficult to implement, monitors showed by made available to French subtitling of the recited verses.

Ahmad Gaballah, member of the European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR), earlier told IOL that Tarawih is one of the ta`abuddi (worship) acts that should be performed according to what is revealed in the Islamic Shari`ah.

Distraction

Dismissing the proposal as impractical and difficult to implement, Qirqah said if Muslim worshipers follow up translation of the Qur'anic verses on monitors this "might take them out of the prayer."

Secretary General of the French Council of Imams Daw Meskine agreed.

"Using monitors with French subtitling of the recited Qur'anic verses distracts the worshipers."

He asserted that listening to Qur’an, whether one understands it or not, is in itself an act of worship.

"Young French Muslims should learn Arabic in the many Arabic schools available in almost every French town," Qirqah said.

Alternatives

The French imams, instead, advised the young Muslims to learn Arabic, the language in which the Noble Qur'an was revealed onto the heart of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) more than 14 centuries ago.

"Young French Muslims should learn Arabic in the many Arabic schools available in almost every French town," Qirqah said.

Meskine concurred, saying: "The best solution for Muslims of the second and third generations is to learn Arabic because it is the basis of all acts of worship."

Ammar al-Asfar, imam of Al-Iman mosque in the northern French city of Lille, cited his personal experience as a case in point.

"I am personally of Berber origin - a non-Arabic speaking ethnic group in Algeria - but I studied Arabic," he said.

"I advice all practicing young French Muslims to learn Arabic because it is the language of their holy book," he added.

Zuhir Burik, imam of the Tariq Ibn Ziad mosque in the Evilline district, in west Paris, offered another alternative.

"We should try to overcome this problem by explaining to those practicing young Muslims the meanings of the recited verses in French before or after Tarawih."

The same option was also backed by Qirqah.

The mosque of Monterey district, in east Paris, has become the favorite destination of many young French Muslims, who use French in their communication.

Before Tarawih prayers, an imam explains in French to the young Muslims the meaning of the verses to be recited later in Arabic.

Al-Buraq publishing house has printed dozens of copies of French translations of the meanings of the Qur’an – some accompanied by Arabic verses -- and distributed them among famous malls and markets under the slogan “Al-Buraq Marking Ramadan.”

Estimates indicate there are some 5-6 million Muslims living in France, the biggest Muslim minority in Europe.

A better solution would be if special classes were held every night after Tarawih prayers where the excerpt of the Quran for that night's Taraawih were read in French [i]and [/i]explained.

Almost two hours of Taraawih followed by a two hour class. Biggrin

I wonder if they'd still be so dedicated. Lol

You are not supposed to read the translation while praying!

Do that either beforehand, or later on.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i'm not sure whether this is true or not but apprently your tarawih is not accepted if you don't do it in arabic for the obvious reason that the meaning of it changes. Don't quote me on it though, not too sure. Personally if the rest of us can do the tarawih in arabic what makes the france people so special, they should get off their lazy butts and find the meaning instead of moaning bout it.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

well prayer must be in arabic... nd since tarawih is a nafl prayer...

after all who read alhamd in english in prayer?

And think of the arguments if the people in the back prefer a differrent translation...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

And think of the arguments if the people in the back prefer a differrent translation...

lol, yeh i can imgaine it now.

Mawlana: O Children of Israel! call to mind the favour which I bestowed upon you, and fulfil your covenant with Me as I fulfil My Covenant with you, and fear none but Me.
Geeza at back: Yo Molviji y was God favoruing jus the kids of israel, wt bout da kidz of palestine. And wt da 'eck is a covenant?
Mawlana: no answer
Geeza at back: Yo ifti I aint gettin wt molviji chattin bout, im gonna chip. safe geeza, chek ya laterz

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar