Would you take part in a drug trial?

Yes - if the money is right
22% (8 votes)
Yes, but only if the treatment could help me
6% (2 votes)
If you can test on animals, why not humans?
14% (5 votes)
Probably not
28% (10 votes)
Hell no, Remember "Elephant Man"?
31% (11 votes)
Total votes: 36

'My drug trial dilemma'

Wendy Martin had to do a lot of soul-searching when she was offered a place on a drugs trial.

On the one hand Wendy, who had bowel cancer, had the chance of extra treatment, alongside her routine six months of chemotherapy. But on the other, she faced a year of potentially serious side effects.

"I did a lot of soul-searching, got all the information and sat the family down and we all discussed it," she said.

"My husband was concerned that despite all this heartache and soul-searching I would go on the trial and I might be one of the 50% that did not get to take anything extra...

Read more @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

At some point there will be some person who will be the first to receive the treatment etc.

But would you want to be that first person? Would you take part in a drug trial for whatever reason?

I guess if someone had a life threatening illness and the only way was to be part of a trial where the medicine *may* help, it would be understandable. After that, what other motivations? money? "service to mankind"?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:
Elephant Man? Ganesh?

No, a few years ago, a . Badly wrong.

'He looks like Elephant Man, completely puffed'

Myfanwy Marshall, a BBC television producer, said that her partner has been so ravaged by the drug that he resembled the Elephant Man. Doctors have told her that he will need a miracle to survive, she said.

He is one of two men in a critical condition after the trial at Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, northwest London. Four other men remain seriously ill.

Ms Marshall, 35, said that she was roused from her bed by medical staff at 3am on Tuesday and told to go to the hospital. She arrived to discover that her boyfriend, a bartender, was in intensive care, she said...

on 16 March 2006

All 6 in the trial actually. and the animals who had been tested on earlier.

So would you take part in one?

I haven't done it so far, so I guess that means something...

...saying that, I doubt they pay all that much.

If however I was ill and needed treatment, why not?

I want to take back my answer. I voted for 'Probably not'.

If I was in a truly life-threatening situation/had an incurable disease I might possibly volunteer for something that could possibly save lives.

This ties in with the woman who just won the right to die. How about legalising euthanasia in Britain, with the added caveat that they can experiment on your body before killing you? There could be rules about making sure there isn't any actual physical pain - they could even stop the brain and keep the heart/spine alive to test things like exactly how chemicals interact with human blood etc.

Then again, I wouldn't want to go through anything like that if I was healthy - and I don't know how I'd feel about going through something similar if I was really sick.

May Allah (swt) protect all of us from such trials in our lives, unless it be for substitution for some retribution of our sins in the afterlife. Ameen.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:
May Allah (swt) protect all of us from such trials in our lives and forgive our sins without penance. Ameen.

Aameen