'bad' thoughts.

76 posts / 0 new
Last post

*boing*

Think people can learn from this topic :]

I just realised that i'd forgotten everything it had taught me *Smacks hand*

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

what about somebody that has pure ocd which i get. its a really common mental disorder where people get really bad thoughts. i get blasphemous thoughts that are out of the question, against religion and stuff and u say sentences in ure head over and over again to try and get rid of the bad thoughts. initially when i first started to get them it used to really depress me and i used to cry a lot. over time, ive learnt to not take notice of it as such but does that mean i have to ask for forgiveness all the time?

nas92 wrote:
what about somebody that has pure ocd which i get. its a really common mental disorder where people get really bad thoughts. i get blasphemous thoughts that are out of the question, against religion and stuff and u say sentences in ure head over and over again to try and get rid of the bad thoughts. initially when i first started to get them it used to really depress me and i used to cry a lot. over time, ive learnt to not take notice of it as such but does that mean i have to ask for forgiveness all the time?

Salaam Nas. I have OCD too, or I did, so I know exactly what you're talking about. My previous post (last year) was directly from that perspective. Y'know when you don't want to think something bad but the worst of thoughts creep into your head anyway? I was aflicted by that for at least four years after I converted to Islam and I can't tell you how many times I (quite literally) beat myself up about it.

One of my teachers once said a companion said to the Prophet SAW, I have thoughts so evil that I would rather die than think them. The Prophet SAW said that it meant the cmpanion had strong iman to be so aggressively afflicted by the shaytan.

I'm pretty much over it now, Alhamdulillah! The secret? Sunnah advice: when the thoughts happen, ignore them. When they occur, think about something else. Something nice and relaxing that makes you happy. After a while when it becomes more automatic and you stop hating yourself when those thoughts happen, just ignore the thoughts completely, so when they come into your head, do nothing. Stay relaxed, don't be knocked off of your calmness by them.

Think of these types of thoughts as a stray thread on a sweater, the more you fight to pull it out, the more you unravel the whole sweater, and the worse the problem becomes. Or liek a scab or a rash, the more you scratch the worse it becomes. Better to just loeave it alone and let Allah slowly cool the affliction down ntil its so small lmake it easy for you.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

You're classing recurring thoughts as OCD?

Good advice Dawud.

Personally i think that these thoughts are natural but because we as humans fall into a countless number of errors we should aim to control our thoughts which are in fact the starting point of any action and so we ask Allah (swt) for forgiveness and guidance InshaAllah to humble ourselves and remind us that the thoughts are wrong (Since sometimes we know things are wrong but we do them anyway). Also in the case of thinking 'dirty', i feel our mental states when thinking about certain things become unclean and thus fill itself with things other than the fact that:
1) we are on this earth for a reason
2) this is a temporary life i.e. we will die one day (a issue that we are meant to constantly think about)
3) we must work hard on being as good as possible so that we may attain Jannah (Heaven) one day InshaAllah.

Finally, by thinking these thoughts, there is a chance that they may be enhanced by things like music, television (both of these in some cases AIM to do this!), the internet, some of your friends and so forth - meaning we should try to avoid them as much as we can (since Allah judges us on our struggles/Niyyah (intentions), regardless of whether we achieve the goal or not)

The Prophet Muhamamd (pbuh) said: “The reward of deeds depend upon the intentions, and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended.” - 'Umar bin Al-Khattab, Vol. 8, Book 78, Number 680

Smile

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

@Truth's Razor: For sure. The last few posts was about the ones you can't control and happen even though you don't want them to like lightening strikes. Very good point about watching what you watch! The mind is like the stomach, put stale things in there and expect to get ill.

s.b.f wrote:
You're classing recurring thoughts as OCD?

As well as physical compulsions, OCD is typified by uncontrollable thoughts and urges to do inapropriate things. Often with an overwhelming feeling that something terrible will occur if the urge is not fulfilled.

So basically, uncontrollable bad thoughts that strike you precisely because you're afraid of thinking them. There is a time for action and a time for ambivalence. A time to take action and a time for sabr.

There is a common prayer that's pertinant: Lord give me the strength to change what I can and the patience to accept what I can't.

Change what you can and be patient and trust in Allah SWT when your efforts are fruitless.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Salams Dawud, thanks for that ... its always reassuring to know your not the only muslim that goes through it. Smile

no one is saying you cant go to thorpe park! its very unlikley you would go their to sin anyways, so why not.

but yes it isnt something that benefits your faith, nor does it harm it. in the best case one would strive to do things that only benefit ones faith and bring nearer to them Paradise. but were only humans. its only when the mindless stuff dominate your life, so that you forget whats really important and beneficial in this life (faith) that they become a problem.

and you can hang out with your non-muslim friends, but if they represent everything that is not islamic and encourage you to do things forbidden in Islam that again, this becomes a problem. its always better i find for a muslim to have muslim friends anyway.. IMO.

PS: I went to Thorpe park, it was fun, good luck waiting in the queues!!

this is off topic, but to Ya'qub, i love your line, Dont just....

bilan wrote:
but yes it isnt something that benefits your faith, nor does it harm it.

I would like to disagree with the first assertion that it isn't something that benefits your faith.

I am not talking about thorpe park, but about things in general.

Having a good mental balance is good for your faith.

Not having fun will mean you may start to blame religion for your lack of fun and that is a bad thing. ergo, having fun is GOOD for your faith.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I dont think asking why your not allowed to do something Allah has forbidden is really relevant. Its forbidden, it doesnt matter either way. if your having trouble with whatever it is, Allah is putting you through a test and just pray u pass it
theres no reason required, all it would do is ease ur mind, or not!

Yh i agree, i meant more along the lines, that I dont see anyone getting hasana (rewards) for going to thorpe park or anything along those lines, but nor would they get sins.

lets hope everyone agrees with your definition of 'fun', ie: nothing dodgy Wink

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntm0h5dG24E&feature=related]

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Pages