I'll start smoking and then quit!
33% (3 votes)
I'll start smoking... and NOT quit.
0% (0 votes)
Can I have a repeat prescription?
11% (1 vote)
Total votes: 9

Free wedding for quitting smoking

A charity in the Saudi capital Riyadh has come up with a novel incentive to encourage young men to quit smoking - an all-expenses-paid wedding.

Hundreds of men have expressed interest in the anti-smoking drive, including a non-smoker who was ready to start the habit just so he could take part.

Banners in Riyadh are advertising the campaign slogan: "Kicking the habit is on you, and marriage is on us."

In much of the Arab world, the groom alone bears the cost of a wedding.

The charity Purity says participants will complete a seven-day course to quit smoking...

Read more @

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:
waah!

Lol

It sounds desperate doesn't it?

to get rid of a disgusting habit? Sounds like a match made in heaven!

Besides, I doubt they provide a bride to be to the winner - that the guy has to do on his own.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

while it is sexist that they are not being given the same opportunity, if over there it is the man paying for everything, targetting the women may not be as big as issue.

Also, maybe women smoke less?

Or do you mean that there may be some women who would no longer want to marry their man if he quit smoking?

(and yes, you could have just linked to the relevant pages. would be much easier to avoid reading like that. well, not easier, but more pleasant.)

So do the men get to choose their brides?

And can the family of the groom or bride organize the wedding however expensive it will be?

There's only going to be one winner.

What if the others in their failure think: what was the point, and then continue smoking again?

I think you guys are being a lil unfair.

In places like Saudi... its usually the guys side who pays for everything on the wedding. So it does kinda make sense.

Back in BLACK

Only the wedding is paid for. The service/competition does not provide women or access to women.

Imagine it as a competition for people who will be getting married *anyway*, but if they quit smoking, the wedding will now potentially be paid for by the charity instead of them having to save up before hand.

their prerogative - they technically only have to quit for 7 days.

Actually, they have to not get caught lying for that time period...

But it gets the charity exposure, lets people know about help out there to quit smoking. Not everyone will win, but more people will hear of the initiative.

Unlike the UK, I hear in much of the rest of the world, smoking is something that is seen as "normal" and if this helps break that idea, then its a good thing.

You wrote:

Unlike the UK, I hear in much of the rest of the world, smoking is something that is seen as "normal" and if this helps break that idea, then its a good thing.

Naaaaah, didn't you see in Saudi all the big signs saying 'smoking is haraam' in dozens of languages?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Can't remember tbh.