How many times did you perform salat yesterday?

what can i do to motivate myself to get up and read? am alwayz on and off and once i miss one, i tend to miss the rest for the day, and its hard bringing myself to start again. anybody know how many yearz in hell for each namaz missed?

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

Why does it say 6 times?

And why doesn't it say 0 times?

And isn't this all about revealing our sins? (not the voting part, the discussion about it.)

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Yeah, I would also be against the poll bit, but otherwise if people want to discuss motivational tips, personal challenges etc without revealing personal sin, go ahead.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I tend to go to bed early (mostly coz i hav to get up early to get to work) so its not too hard to also get up for Fajhr too. One trick i sometimes use, is put my alarm clock riiiiggghhht on the other side of the room. So when it does go off i have to get up run to the otherside of the room (coz the alarm is a track by Akon) to turn it off. And since im up i may aswell go read salat too Biggrin

I find Isha a challenge. Coz its alot longer than the other ones, and coz its soo late im already REALLY tired. Thats where parents come in handy (i knew they were good for something) they constantly ask me if ive read it or not.

How is it a lot longer than the other ones? Surely fajr is the longest?

Also, how come there are 45% of votes for '5 times' and 18% of votes for '4 times'? I'm no mathlete, but surely there's like 37% missing?

The rest would be on zero, which for some reason is not being shown... Maybe I should rename the options with the word "times" at the end? that should show them all.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

give it a try...

"ThiS WoRlD Iz A PrIsOn 4 A BeLiVeR AnD PaRaDiSe 4 A NoN-BeLiVeR.........."

pray all 5 salahs for 40 days and insha'Allah it will become a habit (the scholars say by doing something for 40 days, the act becomes a habit).

once you get into the routine of praying, it will become a part of your daily routine and insha'Allah you won't miss it.

went to some talk once and the woman said the punishment for every qadha salah is 700 years in hell... don't know how true that is. punishments don't seem to scare me but they should...

anyway, make sincere dua to Allah (swt) and ask Him to make you a person who prays 5 times a day. the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: pray each salah as if it is your last. when i remember that hadith i do slow down and make sure the salah i'm reading is perfect and i strive to pray the next one.

anyway, stick at it and it will become a habit insha'Allah.

One of my old teachers told us that if you read your salah as Qadhas, your name is written on the door of Jahannam, so i don't know what the punishment is if you miss your salah and don't even do Qadha.

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

This is one hadith which encourages me to pray:

Those who do not pray:
FAJR - the glow of their face is taken away.
ZUHR - the blessing of their income is taken away.
ASR - the strength of their body is taken away.
MAGHRIB - they are not benefited by their children.
ISHA - the peace of their sleep is taken away

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Noor wrote:
pray all 5 salahs for 40 days and insha'Allah it will become a habit (the scholars say by doing something for 40 days, the act becomes a habit).

Thanks, this is the best advise so far.

i follow the opinion of imam nawawi (rh) and many other great shayookh, you must make up every fardh and wajib salah you have missed.

calculate how many you need to make up and make a table. pray one qadha salah with every salah, if you cant do that, at least try and pray one qadha salah a day. instead of nawawfil, pray your fardh because you will be accounted for that whereas nawafil is only voluntary but if you want to offer nawafil and pray qadha salah then go for it, more ajr.

Jay K wrote:
Jazak Allah Khair for that, I have way too many prayers to make up so don't know where to start really.....

from the beginning will be a great start.

if you have a sincere niyya, Allah (swt) will make it easy for you. it really isn't that much, just think of it as praying one qadha salah every day or five.

Quote:
Also another question, it is sunnah to read dua while in prostration during prayer and after durood sharif but before you say salaam.....

Now some people say it has to be done in arabic, but what if you can't speak arabic? Here is one opinion held on the matter......someone said to this sheikh that someone said to them making dua in any other language apart from arabic is haram.

dua outside salah can be said in any language BUT dua in salah must be said in arabic, and only the prophetic duas can be recited i.e. the duas of the prophet (saw). the duas are really short so it is easy to learn. some say you can make general dua (non prophetic) in salah but it must be in arabic. i don't do that latter as i haven't found concrete evidence supporting that.

you can always make sujood outside salah and make dua then, and that can be said in any language.

A thing about "huqooq-ullah" is that God is most forgiving, most merciful. Yes you should make up for all the missed ones (and til then if you want to read nafl's, you could do qadha instead.), but I think many people will be needing for mercy. I for one would need loads.

wednesday wrote:
Noor wrote:

dua outside salah can be said in any language BUT dua in salah must be said in arabic, and only the prophetic duas can be recited i.e. the duas of the prophet (saw). the duas are really short so it is easy to learn. some say you can make general dua (non prophetic) in salah but it must be in arabic. i don't do that latter as i haven't found concrete evidence supporting that.

Surely it shouldn't matter as much? I mean a duaa is a duaa.

if it can invalidate the salah then it matters.

Quote:
Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) made Du'aa during sujood to show us that yeah you can too make du'aa or were the special type of du'aas? Does it depend on the nature of the du'aa?

the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) made specific duas in sujood, ruku and when sitting down, around 5/6 different ones for each and that's it. what dua is better than the dua of the prophet (saw)?

wednesday wrote:
OK Prophetic du'aas aside, what about personal du'aas?

like i said, some say you can make other duas in salah but they must be said in arabic. to be on the safe side, make sujood outside salah, that way you can make dua in what ever language you want.

Quote:
And another favour: Could tell us the significance of du'aas made while paying and the du'aas outside salah?

the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: the closest a servant comes to his Lord is in sujood, therefore make excessive du'a, for it is most likely to be answered. sahih muslim

the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) also said: the person who does not ask from Allah, Allah becomes angry with him.

wednesday wrote:
Oh heard or answered?

I know for a fact that EVERY du'aa is heard.

Thank you Noor. Alls relevant.

the hadith says answered, all duas are answered, some in this life and some are saved for the next.

I thought the "rabij alni" dua at the end of prayer was not from hadith?

Also, I thought on what you can and cannot read it depended on the type of salaah - for fardh it is more strict than for sunnah/nawaafil where you cna do much more, read other prayers.

Question: why does it need to be in arabic?

Quote:
The Shafi view:

Question:

Does it invalidate the prayer if one makes a du‘a during prostration in a language other than Arabic?

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate

If the one who is praying knows Arabic, his prayer will be invalidated by a non-Arabic supplication (du‘a) or invocation (dhikr), whether or not this supplication or invocation has been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) [at that point in prayer] or not. As for the one who does not know Arabic, it is permitted for him to make a supplication or invocation in a language other than Arabic, but only if it has been transmitted that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) uttered them [at that point in the prayer]; otherwise, if they haven’t been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), saying them in a language other than Arabic will invalidate the prayer.

[h: Shaykh Ibn Hajar] says in the Tuhfa along with [h: Imam Nawawi's] Minhaj:

" (It is not invalidated by) permissible (invocation or supplication) since they are both legislated during [h: the prayer]. Consequently, if one Angel performs either of the two in a language other than Arabic while knowing Arabic or (b) if one does not know Arabic and composes them oneself ... it is invalidated." (Tuhfa, 2.146)

al-Shirwani says in his supercommentary, ""has composed them oneself" means that they have not been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), as al-Kurdi explained."

Whoever wishes to memorize any supplications or invocations that have been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) should refer to Imam Nawawi’s "Book of Invocations" (Kitab al-Adhkar).

Amjad Rasheed
Amman, Jordan
(Translated by Hamza Karamali)

Quote:
Question:

In the Shafi’i School can we make any supplication while prostrating; or is it limited to Quran and prophetic invocations? Can we supplicate at that time after saying, “Subhaana Rabbiya l-A’laa” three times?

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful and Compassionate
Praise is for Allah, the Lord of all beings
May Allah bless our liegelord Muhammad, his folk and companions and grant them all peace

One may certainly supplicate while prostrating. Shaykh Ibn Hajar (Allah have mercy on him) said in Tuhfa: “It is sunna to supplicate during one’s prostration, due to the tradition related by Muslim, ‘The closest a slave is to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so strive in supplication (i.e. therein);’ and prophetic invocations (ma’thur) are best.”[1] So one may make any supplication, but those narrated from the sunna are best. This is the case for Arabic supplication. In the case of non-Arabic supplications, they are only allowed for someone who is unable to pronounce Arabic invocations and must be limited to invocations narrated from the sunna for that point in the prayer (please see link to related answer). One may also beseech Allah in one’s heart (not moving one’s tongue) in any language and Allah's grace is vast. And Allah knows best and he alone gives tawfiq (success).

[1] Ibn Hajar al-Haytami, Hawashi al-Sharwani Wa Ibn Qasim al-Abbadi 'Ala Tuhfah al-Muhtaj Bisharh al-Minhaj (Beirut, Dar Ihya' al-Turath al-'Arabi), 3:270-273 and 2:103.

Quote:
The Hanafi view:

Question:

During Jalsa I have heard that reciting rabbighfirlee thrice is recommendable? is that true and can it be done in fardh prayers?

Answer:

Walaikum assalam,

If by "jalsa" you mean the final sitting, then:

It is a confirmed sunna in the final sitting, before the final salams, to make supplications (dua), after reciting the tashahhud (which is wajib), and sending blessings on the Prophet (which is a confirmed sunna).

It is mentioned in by Imam al-Tumurtashi in this Tanwir al-Absar:

"And [it is from the confirmed sunnas of the prayer] to supplicate)"

Imam al-Haskafi clarified and conditioned this by saying, in his Durr al-Mukhtar,

"(to supplicate) with that which is not possible to ask from humans." [Durr al-Mukhtar, on the margins of Ibn Abidin's Radd al-Muhtar, 1: 321]

Later in the text, he explains that,

"(and to supplicate) in Arabic, and it is not permitted (H: makruh tahriman) in another language - Nahr. [It is recommended to supplicate] for oneself, one's believing parents, teachers, [H: and all believers]." [Durr, 1: 350-352]

One makes these supplications, as well as supplications in prostration (sujud) using that which is mentioned in the Qur'an and Sunnah or that which is not normally possible to ask other humans for, because the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, "No human speech befits this prayer of ours." (Related by Imam Muslim in his Sahih, from Sayyidina Ma`awiya (Allah be pleased with him))

Making supplications with that which is normally possible to ask humans for invalidates the prayer. So beware!

Therefore, instead of making specific worldly supplications, such as, "O Allah, marry me to Layla," or, "O Allah, give me a red Honda Civic," or, "Allah, I want mansaf tonight," which would invalidate the prayer, one makes general supplications in Arabic, such as, "O Allah, I ask You of your bounty," (Allahumma innee as'aluka min fadlik) with specific intentions in one's heart.

If you don't know Arabic, and want to supplicate for specific matters, then just say, "Ya Allah" or "Ya Rabb" repeatedly, intending the specific matters you are supplicating for.

In general, though, while there is no specific supplication that is a confirmed sunna, though if one recites one of the duas that are transmitted from the Beloved of Allah (upon him be blessings and peace), this is best.

And Allah knows best.

- Faraz Rabbani.

Wassalam.

Hanafi wrote:
Question:

salamu aleykum,

As the Nabi SAW has said the closest place to Allah is the sajdah .

Is it allowed to formulate our own dua in our own language in sajdah after reciting 3 times subhana rabbiyal ala? And is it aloud to do this in every prayer (farz,sunnah,nafil)

Or do we have to read there dua known from hadeeth or quran?

please calrify your answer.

Answer:

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

The sunna is to say the supplications of the ritual prayer in Arabic, and disliked to make them in other than Arabic. [Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar; Taqrirat al-Rafi`i; Rasa'il al-Lakhnawi]

When you don't know specific supplications from the Qur'an and Sunna related to your situation, make general supplications that you do know by which you should intend the specific meanings you wish to ask for.

Question

1. Is it aloud according to the Hanafi Madhab to make duaa in English language (using translation of wordings that are mentioned in the Qur'an and Sunnah or that which is not normally possible to ask other humans for) in the last Tashahhud of salaat (fard & nafila) before the taslim?

2. Is it aloud according to the Hanafi Madhab to make duaa in English language (using translation of wordings that are mentioned in the Qur'an and Sunnah or that which is not normally possible to ask other humans for) in the Sajdah of salaat (fard & nafila) after having said three times; Subhana Rabbiyal Ala ?

3. Which dhikr or dua must one say between two sajdah's in the Hanafi Madhab?

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

It is impermissible to make dua in salat in any other language besides Arabic, whether it is the last portion of salat after the salutations upon the Prophet or between the two sajdahs. The salat will have to be repeated if one makes dua in a language besides Arabic.

Aap Kay Masa’il aur Unka Hal (2/321) Maktaba Bayyinat

Hashiyya al-Tahtahwi ‘ala Marqi al-Falah

فى مراقى الفلاح: ( و ) يسن ( الدعاء ) بعد الصلاة على النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم...قال الطحطاوى: ويدعو بالعربية ويحرم بغيرها لأنها تنافي جلال الله تعالى نهر

3. It is permissible to recite any Arabic dua between the two prostrations of salat, but preferable that one recites a dua from the Qur’an or hadith. The following are a few duas narrated from the Prophet (Sallalahu 'Alayhi Wasallam) to be recited between the two sajdahs.

اللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لِى وَارْحَمْنِى وَاجْبُرْنِى وَاهْدِنِى وَارْزُقْنِى - رواه الترمذى

رَبِّ اغْفِرْ لِى وَارْحَمْنِى وَاجْبُرْنِى وَارْزُقْنِى وَارْفَعْنِى – رواه ابن ماجه

اللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لِى وَارْحَمْنِى وَعَافِنِى وَاهْدِنِى وَارْزُقْنِى – رواه أبو داود

اللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لِى وَارْحَمْنِى وَاجْبُرْنِى وَاهْدِنِى وَارْزُقْنِى – رواه الترمذى

رَبِّ اغْفِرْ لِى رَبِّ اغْفِرْ لِى – رواه أبو داود، النسائ, ابن ماجه

If one is leading the prayers, then he should refrain from reciting any dua. Rasulullah (Sallalahu 'Alayhi Wasallam) has said:

إذا صلى أحدكم للناس فليخفف ، فإن منهم الضعيف والسقيم والكبير ، وإذا صلى أحدكم لنفسه فليطول ما شاء – رواه البخارى

If one of you leads the prayers, then let him shorten the salat. For verily [from amongst congregation] are the weak, sick, and the old. If you pray alone, then he may prolong as much as he desires.

Imdad al-Fatawa (1/132) Maktaba Dar al-‘Ulum Karachi

Aap Kay Masa’il Aur Unka Hal (2/275) Maktaba Bayyinat

Rad al-Muhtar ()

( قوله وليس بينهما ذكر مسنون ) قال أبو يوسف : سألت الإمام أيقول الرجل إذا رفع رأسه من الركوع والسجود اللهم اغفر لي ؟ قال : يقول ربنا لك الحمد وسكت ، ولقد أحسن في الجواب إذ لم ينه عن الاستغفار نهر وغيره . أقول : بل فيه إشارة إلى أنه غير مكروه إذ لو كان مكروها لنهى عنه كما ينهى عن القراءة في الركوع والسجود وعدم كونه مسنونا لا ينافي الجواز كالتسمية بين الفاتحة والسورة ، بل ينبغي أن يندب الدعاء بالمغفرة بين السجدتين خروجا من خلاف الإمام أحمد لإبطاله الصلاة بتركه عامدا ولم أر من صرح بذلك عندنا ، لكن صرحوا باستحباب مراعاه الخلاف ، والله أعلم

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Ehzaz Ajmeri,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

wednesday wrote:
copying and pasting EVIL!

there is more!

be grateful that i only copied (yes i did read it all :shock:) the relevant stuff!

It is impermissible to make dua in salat in any other language besides Arabic, whether it is the last portion of salat after the salutations upon the Prophet or between the two sajdahs. The salat will have to be repeated if one makes dua in a language besides Arabic.

A question that arises is "why" and "what is the evidence for this?".

What about group du'aa/dhikr after the end of prayer?

I heard some (classical, orthodox) scholars said it was absolutely terrible to do such a thing, yet in many mosques the imam leads a group du'aa and/or dhikr.

sunnah to make dhikr after salah.

those that say you can't, are probably the same scholars that say collective dhikr is not allowed, bidah.

the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) also said, the dua most heard is the one made after fardh salah.

Noor wrote:
sunnah to make dhikr after salah.

those that say you can't, are probably the same scholars that say collective dhikr is not allowed, bidah.

the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) also said, the dua most heard is the one made after fardh salah.

Not disputing that at all. Only regarding groups/congregation. It was well-respected, mainstream scholars.

I was confused. I'm not sure whether I like it or not. In some ways it's nice because it encourages me to stay and make du'aa, but on the other hand, I prefer to sit quietly after prayer; reflecting and stuff - sometimes the du'aa is too noisy to concentrate - especially if you've started praying your sunnah prayers.

Hmmm...

like you said, it encourages you to stay and make dua, its a positive thing then Biggrin

you can always wait till the dua is over and then pray your sunnah prayers, you can also do all the reflecting stuff after the sunnah prayers.

Noor wrote:

you can always wait till the dua is over and then pray your sunnah prayers, you can also do all the reflecting stuff after the sunnah prayers. win win.

Not if you have to rush off back to work...

Personally, I think it's really nice after Fajr to have it - in Syria there would be loads of people staying in the mosque til after sunrise - then getting the reward of HAJJ (i.e. forgiveness for all sins), you can't really do that in Britain cos they all close.

I think the loud and silent distinction is only with congregation - if you pray on your own, it is always silent.

By silence, it means that you whisper.

As for not being to make them all up at once - intention is a big thing and gets you half the way there. Have the intention that you will complete them, and then with salaah, when everyone else reads sunnah/nafl before/after the fardh, you just do qadha of that same salaah. If should not feel like a burden in that case and eventually it will get done.

Pages